DP Limited, What is it worth?

My new DP Limited Certification has just arrived…now what? Can it help me find a job, get better pay? With a 200 ton ticket, and having only worked in the Gulf of Mexico is this new cert worth much?

Thanks.

personally Mr getz, it might be better if you stayed in canada fishing with your friends then thinking about work

[quote=curtgetz;14242]My new DP Limited Certification has just arrived…now what? Can it help me find a job, get better pay? With a 200 ton ticket, and having only worked in the Gulf of Mexico is this new cert worth much?

Thanks.[/quote]

I’m interested in hearing about how and where you went about earning that DP Cert, thanks, in advance, for sharing

[QUOTE=Jeffrox;14256]I’m interested in hearing about how and where you went about earning that DP Cert, thanks, in advance, for sharing[/QUOTE]

you do the basic class, about 2500 dollars, spend at least 30 days on a DP vessell, then do the advanced class, another 2500 dollars, then spend 180 days on a dp vessel, send in info to nautical institute, that is about it

do a DP search on the forum and you will find more information

[quote=Mr 100-ton;14269]you do the basic class, about 2500 dollars, spend at least 30 days on a DP vessell, then do the advanced class, another 2500 dollars, then spend 180 days on a dp vessel, send in info to nautical institute, that is about it

do a DP search on the forum and you will find more information[/quote]

I know all that;
I’m curious exactly how Curtgetz did it. Curtgetz:
What vessel did you work on and what job position did you hold while qualifying, etc etc.

[QUOTE=Jeffrox;14271]I know all that;
I’m curious exactly how Curtgetz did it. Curtgetz:
What vessel did you work on and what job position did you hold while qualifying, etc etc.[/QUOTE]

curt worked on a 180 ton supply vessel as 2nd or 3rd captain using his 200 ton mate license
name of the vessel DOES NOT MATTER

that is how he did it,

[quote=curtgetz;14242]My new DP Limited Certification has just arrived…now what? Can it help me find a job, get better pay? With a 200 ton ticket, and having only worked in the Gulf of Mexico is this new cert worth much?

Thanks.[/quote]

Everything you get, Curt, will improve your worth to a prospective employer. Having a limited DP certificate means that you have completed training as a DP operator and accrued a certain level of competency. If you were to get a position on that certificate alone, I would say it can be done. You could theoretically apply as a DPO for a drilling company and see what happens. There is a demand for this position. I hear that ENSCO has unlicensed DPO’s on some of their new DP rigs. When I say unlicensed I mean they do not have an upper level license. Some other companies may hire you as a DPO with the agreement that you upgrade, but I think it is unrealistic to think that you will get hired on an OSV of a size larger than your USCG license as a DPO. It just doesn’t happen.

To get the Limitation removed you need 90 documented days on a DP 2 or higher system. This will improve your chances along with increasing the size of your license.

[quote=Mr 100-ton;14273]curt worked on a 180 ton supply vessel as 2nd or 3rd captain using his 200 ton mate license
name of the vessel DOES NOT MATTER

that is how he did it,[/quote]

Hehe, what are you, his Press Secretary??

[quote=Capt. Lee;14276]Everything you get, Curt, will improve your worth to a prospective employer. Having a limited DP certificate means that you have completed training as a DP operator and accrued a certain level of competency. If you were to get a position on that certificate alone, I would say it can be done. You could theoretically apply as a DPO for a drilling company and see what happens. There is a demand for this position. I hear that ENSCO has unlicensed DPO’s on some of their new DP rigs. When I say unlicensed I mean they do not have an upper level license. Some other companies may hire you as a DPO with the agreement that you upgrade, but I think it is unrealistic to think that you will get hired on an OSV of a size larger than your USCG license as a DPO. It just doesn’t happen.

To get the Limitation removed you need 90 documented days on a DP 2 or higher system. This will improve your chances along with increasing the size of your license.[/quote]

Capt. Lee

It would be unrealistic to apply for a DPO position with only a “Limited”. The problem is removing the restriction. To do so I’ll have to make another move to a DP 2 vessel.

[quote=curtgetz;14281]Capt. Lee

It would be unrealistic to apply for a DPO position with only a “Limited”. The problem is removing the restriction. To do so I’ll have to make another move to a DP 2 vessel.[/quote]

I disagree and I will tell you why. In 90 days of sea time you can have the restriction removed. For a new person with no DP training at all would take close to two years working even time rotations to complete the classes and sea service requirements. There are many levels of DPO. You would have supervision. The only difference between a limited and unrestricted DP certificate is the class of equipment used. You still set up and stand watch pretty much the same way. Of course DP on a rig and DP on a supply vessel do have some big differences. On a boat if you have a problem you just switch to manual and take care of business. On a rig the last thing you ever want to do is take manual control. To stay on point, I do not think it would be unrealistic to get a position as a junior DPO with a limited certificate. I don’t really see removing the restriction as a problem.

[quote=curtgetz;14281]Capt. Lee

It would be unrealistic to apply for a DPO position with only a “Limited”. The problem is removing the restriction. To do so I’ll have to make another move to a DP 2 vessel.[/quote]

PS No matter what you should be trying to get on a DP 2 vessel or better anyway. It is the future and all that experience will help if that is the direction you want.

My first goal is to upgrade my 200 on mate ticket to an 500 or 1600 ton. Working on lower level vessels is starting to get me down. It would be great to have an licensed engineer, cook, more AB’s etc. etc.

[QUOTE=Jeffrox;14280]Hehe, what are you, his Press Secretary??[/QUOTE]

the extra income helps out in these tough times:D:D

What extra income?

He is talking about the extra cash he makes near Bourbon St. on his time off.

He can use the extra $$ to buy Chap Stick.