DP Conundrum,

Interesting article and I can imagine some here have run into it. I have.

“From a recruitment perspective, the problems are compounded by the “no job, no experience – no experience, no job” paradox, Ciocchi says.” was the best part.

That may be a problem in the greater maritime community on a world wide basis, but there don’t seem to be a lot of open DP opportunities in the US at the moment…

[QUOTE=Doodlebug;161623]http://www.maritime-executive.com/features/dp-operators-caught-in-catch-22

Interesting article and I can imagine some here have run into it. I have.

“From a recruitment perspective, the problems are compounded by the “no job, no experience – no experience, no job” paradox, Ciocchi says.” was the best part.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I dealt with this myself. But…

“Freelance mate and DPO Jill Friedman” is a boob.

At what point do the so-called professionals and experts in the DPO world stop referring to their DP [U][I][B]certificate[/B][/I][/U] as a [U][I][B]license?[/B][/I][/U] The IADC and OMSA types can say right now… 'Hey, NI, blow me! We’re going to do whatever we want, when we want. You are no longer the golden standard of all things DP." But they won’t, even though a DP cert is not issued by a regulatory/government body, and the flag state of their vessels can do nothing about it.

Nothing has changed in the world, if you can only get qualified whilst working then the industry must train people.
Who comes out of college as a Captain?

some people don’t realize that. Same idea, different business, you can only get hired with New York experience AND oil barge experience. Where do they grow all the suitable candidates, besides McAllister?

What in the hell is a “freelance mate”? Is it not the same thing as an “unemployed mate”?

The dirty Dann’s??

The airline industry tried this trick till they needed qualified pilots now they all have training schemes from zero to hero

Seems that getting time and experience is a hell of a lot easier than getting your certs and application approved by NI. I’m hearing horror stories as I gear up to send mine off when I get my last few DP days in.

[QUOTE=ShawnYoungblood;161846]Seems that getting time and experience is a hell of a lot easier than getting your certs and application approved by NI. I’m hearing horror stories as I gear up to send mine off when I get my last few DP days in.[/QUOTE]

I’ll second that. There new web based application process is filled with problems. Lots of guys have been waiting a long time for there certification. There process makes the USCG application process look like the model of efficiency.

DP Conundrum = The Nautical Institute.

A lot of the trouble can be traced back to who/whom issued your Basic and Advanced Certs.

5 1/2 months from receipt to approval, clean book, no Bier Radio, etc…

Absolutely insane !

and its real vessel with a real classed DP system?

Shit Sandwich

[QUOTE=Bloodyshitcakes;161696]What in the hell is a “freelance mate”? Is it not the same thing as an “unemployed mate”?[/QUOTE]

People look so stupid when they use these stupid terms, “freelance mate” “freelance dpo”, these terms are also a similar level of stupidity to people that call themselves “DP Master”, linkedin is riddled with mariners that try and play the DP card to a ridiculous level. “I’m a DP wizard”, “DP this DP that DP DP DP…” “I’m a FMEA professor” “I invented DP and wrote 10 manuals on DP”

You also get these idiots that say that they “work for” these marine employment agencies, when in reality they are unemployed just working contract to contract.

That’s Master, Captain, DPO to you, sir. :grin:

1 Like

I hate it when they put “USCG Licensed Master Captain” on their resume’s. There is no such thing as a Mastercaptain…

I’d be willing to bet scooter has that on his resume. He’s probably a Mastercaptain 1st class supreme.