DP certification now worth it, or is it too late?

I’ve been seriously considering taking the DP courses. However, the posts and threads I read on GCaptain and Linkedin cause me to wonder if I’m too late. Seems as though it’s quite difficult to get hired on as a DPO trainee or ADPO as the market is flush with people with the certification.
Have been sailing deep sea for 13 years, 5 on an 2M Unlimited license. My question is, in your opinion, is it worth the time and effort to try and change now?

It’s worth it take the class don’t hesitate any longer.

[QUOTE=trvlerjenn;100210]I’ve been seriously considering taking the DP courses. However, the posts and threads I read on GCaptain and Linkedin cause me to wonder if I’m too late. Seems as though it’s quite difficult to get hired on as a DPO trainee or ADPO as the market is flush with people with the certification.
Have been sailing deep sea for 13 years, 5 on an 2M Unlimited license. My question is, in your opinion, is it worth the time and effort to try and change now?[/QUOTE]

Give up already, your a has-been with one foot in the grave. But then again, I have a 62 year old friend that has basic and advanced classes done and working toward his unlimited DP… I myself always keep trying, where there is a will, there is a way, and once you find yourself holding that certificate you will discover there are plenty of places to apply it.

There are 74 drillships under construction many many more work boats and a few DP semisubs… I would say now is the time more then ever before.

[QUOTE=youngpup;100895]There are 74 drillships under construction many many more work boats and a few DP semisubs… I would say now is the time more then ever before.[/QUOTE]

No chance anymore, its all over if your not in.

[QUOTE=trvlerjenn;100210]I’ve been seriously considering taking the DP courses. However, the posts and threads I read on GCaptain and Linkedin cause me to wonder if I’m too late. Seems as though it’s quite difficult to get hired on as a DPO trainee or ADPO as the market is flush with people with the certification.
Have been sailing deep sea for 13 years, 5 on an 2M Unlimited license. My question is, in your opinion, is it worth the time and effort to try and change now?[/QUOTE]

If you were in the States, I’d say go knock on doors and test the water. I recently sailed with an unlimited master who switched from blue water to the oil patch so he could be home more. He had no problem getting hired.

Depends on if you like making more money for doing less? I can tell you that I was just lucky. In 2001 when I was sitting in that DP class taking the basic induction, I never in a million years thought it would have led me down this path. It has been a heck of a ride and more importantly fun and prosperous. I would think that not doing it would be a huge mistake.

I finally decided to take the course, and now have DP Basic from Kongsberg. As I live in Europe I’ve been looking at companies in the North Sea. However, the money doesn’t seem comparable to what’s happening in the GOM. Money isn’t everything though, and I am hoping to just get hired on and get the necessary time.