DP Basic before 2015... Big Mistake for future DPO's

FACT! New scheme shortens DP time by nearly half…

DP Induction Course, then 60 days seatime, DP Simulator Course, followed by a whopping 60 more days seatime. Wham now ya have your golden ticket to enter the wonka factory.

From the new DP Operators Training and Certification Scheme:

[I][B]“The old scheme and its policies will remain valid for those who started training prior to 1 [/B][/I]
[I][B]January 2015. All trainee DPOs who started the training scheme before January 2015 will [/B][/I]
[I][B]have their training assessed on the old DP scheme rules.[/B][/I]
[I][B] Trainee DPOs who start the training scheme from 1 January 2015 (i.e. Induction course) will [/B][/I]
[I][B]carry on training under the criteria and conditions set up for the new training scheme.”
[/B][/I]
See Link Below - CLICK - DP Training Certification Scheme - March 2014
http://www.nautinst.org/en/dynamic-positioning/

[SIZE=2]SO to all you boys and girls signing up for DP training prior to 2015, maybe you should sit back, relax, and reap the rewards the Nautical Institute has graciously handed to you.
[/SIZE]

The new scheme also allows for up to 25% of the days to be done on the DP system in training mode. This will allow the mariner to collect days on the system they will actually use outside the simulator while not in a live DP environment. However, it also redefines a DP day as a minimum of two hours during a day instead of one. So I have noticed some vessels getting their crews DP days by setting up on DP in the channel between 2300hrs and 0100 hours to get 2 DP days. I guess you do what you gotta do, but now it is going to be a four hour endeavor. It lays out the requirement of a license or restricts a DPO to the license they hold. No more AB DPO. Until the USCG gets to work on official DPO qualification requiring a licensed DPO on a vessel to operate on a DP vessel, it is just another piece of paper.

[QUOTE=FourchonShuffle;145629]
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/wau_dpo/Desktop/dp_training_certification_scheme_v1_0_march_2014.pdf
[/QUOTE]

How are we supposed to view a hyperlink to your computer?

It sounds like those of us who have taken a valid DP Induction course, but do not have much, if any, DP seatime, should just start over by retaking the DP Induction course in 2015.

Wouldn’t you know that the emeffin’ Nautical Institute would screw us like this. But before I mash the panic button, I’m going to visit my DP instructor to get the straight story on this situation. I’m also going to ask about a deep discount on repeating the DP Induction course.

Does your vessel use the DP system for autopilot? If so I would stay the course because that is one of the other changes. If you started before 2015 you can use time under autopilot to count if your vessel uses the DP system for it. Under the new scheme you can’t.

Which training center did you take your course? Did they not tell you about the new certification scheme?

If you are asking me I took it at ECO, and it was a while ago. I have nearly all of my time to submit.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;145651]It sounds like those of us who have taken a valid DP Induction course, but do not have much, if any, DP seatime, should just start over by retaking the DP Induction course in 2015.

Wouldn’t you know that the emeffin’ Nautical Institute would screw us like this. But before I mash the panic button, I’m going to visit my DP instructor to get the straight story on this situation. I’m also going to ask about a deep discount on repeating the DP Induction course.[/QUOTE]

Which training center did you take your course? Did they not tell you about the new certification scheme?

My bad, should have specified who.

That’s what I’m doing. I took DP basic back in May of 2011 so I’m creeping up on the five year deadline. I Finally got on a DP boat in Feb 2014 and since then I have only gotten 14 days of DP time. I’m not even half way to the Advanced course let alone the additional 180 days of watch keeping. I’m retaking it at MPT in February.

can I ask what kind of Dp boat you are on since you only have 14 days?

DP-2 240’ OSV that is on charter and just sits at the pilings hitch after hitch after hitch.

put that boat on Dp in the channel and stby. Counts as a day. That sucks man

That’s a no no under most managers.

depends on the company and the manager like you said.

Will these OSV company’s send you to whatever training center you want to go too?

This obviously is not something that concerns DPOs on a daily basis and I don’t know how much relevance this have for those working on DP boats in the GoM under ABS Class and USCG regulation: