Don't even bother with SIU as a C book!

I went to the SIU Wilmington hall a few months ago and they told me they had some jobs available for a C book if I got my MSC certs so $1400 and over a month later I put in for a steward assistant just to get some work and am denied because they said I don’t have enough training… nevermind the fact I merry all requirements and it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to prep food and clean toilets… the port agent was cool to me but said it’s our of his hands. Meanwhile this boat is sitting in long Beach waiting to be crewed. Makes no sense. I paid my dues which means I am a member and they SHOULD have an obligation to find me work or at the very least ALLOW Me to work. Don’t even boost with SIU.

This is where unions leave a bad taste in my mouth. No wonder people get so discouraged trying to get their foot in the door.

[QUOTE=Toussaia;176602]I went to the SIU Wilmington hall a few months ago and they told me they had some jobs available for a C book if I got my MSC certs so $1400 and over a month later I put in for a steward assistant just to get some work and am denied because they said I don’t have enough training… nevermind the fact I merry all requirements and it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to prep food and clean toilets… the port agent was cool to me but said it’s our of his hands. Meanwhile this boat is sitting in long Beach waiting to be crewed. Makes no sense. I paid my dues which means I am a member and they SHOULD have an obligation to find me work or at the very least ALLOW Me to work. Don’t even boost with SIU.[/QUOTE]

What exactly is your Steward Department rating on your credentials. If it doesn’t include F.H. (Food Handler) you can not sail in the Steward Department. This use to be an automatic endorsement but changed as of 2011.

You didn’t say what endorsements you had nor what was required by the SIU for that steward assistant job.

It doesn’t matter now, they got his money already.

Yes, they have his money. However if he doesn’t have the correct endorsements, is it the SIU’s fault? I am not saying they are always on the up and up but all the facts should be known.

BTW, To get the food handler (F.H) endorsement, section V of the 719KE application had to be filled out.

Not an unexpected response. The Norfolk port agent told me I’d have a better go of it in Baltimore. He also said quite bluntly that they preferred Paul Hall graduates. I had everything I needed to sail QMED, but some QMEDs are more equal than others, apparently. I got my license shortly thereafter.

Did they tell you what else you needed to sail?

From my experience, probably a few “friends named Benjamin” would be the required paperwork to sail on a C Book.

1 Like

[QUOTE=jbtam99;176645]From my experience, probably a few “friends named Benjamin” would be the required paperwork to sail on a C Book.[/QUOTE]

I did get that impression from him during our chat, but I wasn’t inclined to play the game.

Where do I GO TO MAKE A NEW THREAD AT ON HERE?

[QUOTE=newsailoralabama;176660]Where do I GO TO MAKE A NEW THREAD AT ON HERE?[/QUOTE]

Go back to Forum Home. Near top of the page.

Then click on the forum you want to post the thread in.

Click the new thread button.

Start your thread.

[QUOTE=Chief Seadog;176633]Yes, they have his money. However if he doesn’t have the correct endorsements, is it the SIU’s fault? I am not saying they are always on the up and up but all the facts should be known.

I am endorsed as steward, with servsafe food handler card, os, wiper with vpdsd, MSC certs, rfpnw training (just no sea time) they told me I was denied because my training hadn’t been filed and I hadn’t recieved my union book even though I included all documents with my job request. I check back every few days and no progress has been made “filing” my training paperwork (whatever that means) port agent says he suspects the “c book thing looks like it’s ending”