Do you need RFPNW to get AB job in GoM?

If you did the RFPNW at MPT uou dont need anything else signed off. You just need the sea days on a vessel over 200 GT to meet that req.

If you did the RFPNW at MPT you dont need anything else signed off. You just need the sea days on a vessel over 200 GT to meet that req.

[ATTACH]3635[/ATTACH]

Actually no tonnage requirement for AB Special OSV, just 180 days. AB Limited only requires certain tonnage

[QUOTE=“TOWBOATTED;117630”]Actually no tonnage requirement for AB Special OSV, just 180 days. AB Limited only requires certain tonnage[/QUOTE]

The mentions of tonnage requirements are for RFPNW…

Short answer to this is no. You won’t get paid nearly as much as you would if you held an RFPNW on a larger OSV, but 200T boats require one AB and I have heard that crew boats that pump methanol or mud sometimes have an AB. I personally have worked on a 200T supply boat without RFPNW as an AB making $200 a day.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;117633]The mentions of tonnage requirements are for RFPNW…[/QUOTE]

I am unaware of this. Can’t locate the particulars. Please elaborate.

Straight from the USCG Checklist for RFPNW, “Note: 50% of required service must be on vessels of at least 200GRT / 500GT” Took me about 1:30 to find this.

These checklists are made for Mariners to make sure they have what they need when going to get the their MMD’s/upgrades/re-issue’s/etc. Might be worth it for you to be familiar with the relevant ones for you.

If you take a rfpnw class and submit to uscg for ab whatever rfpnw lookout only. This will allow you to get hired on a over 200t vessel to do the assessments and seatime.

[QUOTE=“ub1;117795”]If you take a rfpnw class and submit to uscg for ab whatever rfpnw lookout only. This will allow you to get hired on a over 200t vessel to do the assessments and seatime.[/QUOTE]

The assesments are part of the course, seatime is all you need post course. Although myself and a few others I know sent in just the course cert and were issued rfpnw with no “lookout only” distinction.

[QUOTE=Kingrobby;117773]Straight from the USCG Checklist for RFPNW, “Note: 50% of required service must be on vessels of at least 200GRT / 500GT” Took me about 1:30 to find this.

These checklists are made for Mariners to make sure they have what they need when going to get the their MMD’s/upgrades/re-issue’s/etc. Might be worth it for you to be familiar with the relevant ones for you.[/QUOTE]

Yes the checklists are essential and I am familiar with them and their accessibility. Perhaps I have interpreted it differently from yourself: The bottom section “Limited to OSV” makes no indication of required tonnage. Perhaps I have misinterpreted it, and my misinterpretation has been seconded by all the qualified advisers I have reached out to in this process. Also the course I took had no requirements regarding sea service indicated. Either way my application is already in the mail so soon we both shall find out. I’ll be sure to let you know what the outcome is. I hope I am not incorrect.

[QUOTE=TOWBOATTED;118728]Yes the checklists are essential and I am familiar with them and their accessibility. Perhaps I have interpreted it differently from yourself: The bottom section “Limited to OSV” makes no indication of required tonnage. Perhaps I have misinterpreted it, and my misinterpretation has been seconded by all the qualified advisers I have reached out to in this process. Also the course I took had no requirements regarding sea service indicated. Either way my application is already in the mail so soon we both shall find out. I’ll be sure to let you know what the outcome is. I hope I am not incorrect.[/QUOTE]

If the school didn’t provide the sea service requirements in your course, shame on them. I would not use them again.

Indeed that is the case if it is germane to my goals. You are the first person to bring this to my attention (including NMC and MPT personnel) so I am not alarmed as of yet. Again, the section on the checklist “Limited to OSV” does not indicate tonnage requirements, but this may just be my interpretation. This would certainly not be the first time a government document spawned different interpretations, eh? :wink:

I have been very pleased with MPT regardless.
Again, when I receive an answer from the NMC you will be the first to know. Right now that’s the best I can do.

[QUOTE=Robert;118735]If the school didn’t provide the sea service requirements in your course, shame on them. I would not use them again.[/QUOTE]

My new AB Special credential with RFPNW has arrived today at last. The shutdown delayed its issue considerably. I believe this information will be beneficial to you and other forum members.

Best regards.