OS new hire gear grinder

First off, thanks everyone for the wealth of info as I make the change to the GOM.

I was just hired on with a large company here in the GOM. I currently hold a 100 ton nc and AB unlimited without the RFPNW. I was hired as an OS on an OSV, because of quick manning needs they are sending me on my first hitch without the rigging class. This is my first gripe because of obvious pay benefits. The real gear grinder is I spoke with a fellow today who has the same credentials that I do. The thing is he’s going aboard a 98 ton crewboat and apparently working in the capacity as an AB not OS and making $100 a day more than I am. Is this the nature of the beast/hawspipe?

1. Can you work as an AB on a boat less than 100 tons without the RFPNW?

2. Would this be a company policy, USCG, or is this guy pulling my leg?

welcome to the gulf,you will learn, its who you know down here on the Bayou. Most of Gulf companies are like what you are discribing. They are full of promises but no follow up. they will ask you to work over, you say yes 5 hitches in a row, but the 6th hitch you say no and you are as good as toast. There are guys all over the place that get paid more for not doing half the job you do.

GREAT,
So my question wasn’t out of line I suppose. I hope there’s some logic to why I’m trying to get my seatime for the RFPNW rather than sticking with crewboats under 100 tons for the meantime.

most 98 ton crew boats does not even need a OS, or a AB. all the deckhands need are a TWIC card

I am definately confused. My friend with 100 ton, Ab unlmtd., without RFPNW works on one of there anchor boats over 200 tons and isn’t to happy on the news he should have tried to get on a -100 ton crewboat to make a better wage

its weird out here, there are AB’s that are making more than 100 ton captains,have a good friend right now that holds a 200 ton mater and he went to work as a AB making more than I am making as a 100 ton captain. And his state room is alot sweeter than mine. I have not heard of someone on a crew boat as a deckhand making more than a AB. But like I said,he is more than likely married to somebodys cousin.

Be very happy to get the sea going service that is required for the RFPNW…This is a prerequisite for all things >500 …98 ton crew boats do nothing for you as 50 % of the time must be on vessels over 100 …Without the RFPNW under the NPRM you don’t get past 200 Ton…You will be very glad this happened to you later…

Word to the wise…Keep very good records and have the master sign the days you stood watch at the end of every hitch, don’t accumulate time and think you will get the signitures later…That guy might be long gone before that time comes…

Now that I did completed the job hunt I guess I’m on the lookout for the right persons cousin.

Shellback,
Thanks for the encouragement, I am definatley stoked to start putting time away on my RFPNW. It is correct that I will recieve a day and a half time for my twelve hour watch isn’t it?

Yes, you get 1.5 seatime days for 12 hour watches.

Why are you tring to get deckhand seatime on a crewboat? Most of the seatime you need to upgrade must be as master, mate, or equivalent supervisory position… If I was you I would get to be good buddies with whoever writes the seatime letters if you get my drift. :wink:

I’m a deckhand on a OSV, I was just confused as to why a person with equal credentials 100 ton nc, AB nlimited without RFPNW would be making a better wage by the same company on a crewboat. Don’t get me wrong, I am very thankful to be employed in this economy. I was just wondering if there was any rhyme or reason.

I may be wrong, but I believe that [I]strictly speaking[/I], one can only apply 8 hours a day towards RFPNW. Its supposed to be in the wheelhouse, not out doing deck work.

You’ll need 180 8 hr days; and Shellback is preaching the absolute gospel truth about getting the signatures as soon as possible.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes…

you are correct, only 8 hours a days can be for the RFPNW, 1 4 hour day is considered a 4 hour day for the RFPNW, see policy letter 14-02, 50 percent of time over 200 ton the other 50 percent over 100 tons with all assessments done on a vessel over 100 tons, you do not need RFPNW unless you are on a vessel over 200 tons in international waters,

So are you on an OSV or Chouest’s Loop security crew boat you mentioned last week?

You are already griping when you were just hired with one of the countries best companies during a recession?

You have a brand new AB with no RFPNW, zero gulf experience, and have mostly “worked yachts”. Correct?

I’d leave that attitude on the dock. There are 1600 oceans masters working on deck. If I was one, I wouldn’t go blabbing it to every FNG who drove up from Ft. Liqourdale cause Buffy and Muffy’s yacht is laid up.

I bet there are 50 guys reading this that would do a hitch for free just to get your job.

They can’t pay you as an AB on a vessel over 200 tons , because the STCW applies, and YOU don’t have an AB STCW and cannot fulfill an AB position on the station bill. STCW does not apply to crew boats and they can pay you $1000/day for a space shuttle license if they want. It is a bone they throw to keep experienced guys on crew boats, but it is a dead end for advancement. Pick your poison, everybody has had to suck it up…whatever school you took your AB course at should have explained this to you. 1080 Days irrespective of tonnage for AB unlimited has been a loophole I wish they would close anyway, even AB OSV has a minimum qualifying tonnage.

[QUOTE=shippedout;28087]So are you on an OSV or Chouest’s Loop security crew boat you mentioned last week?

You are already griping when you were just hired with one of the countries best companies during a recession?

You have a brand new AB with no RFPNW, zero gulf experience, and have mostly “worked yachts”. Correct?

I’d leave that attitude on the dock. There are 1600 oceans masters working on deck. If I was one, I wouldn’t go blabbing it to every FNG who drove up from Ft. Liqourdale cause Buffy and Muffy’s yacht is laid up.

I bet there are 50 guys reading this that would do a hitch for free just to get your job.[/QUOTE]

I know several guys who would jump at the chance.

having an 100-ton master with 720 sea days qualifies you for an AB unlimited but does not give you the RFPNW

policy letter 13-02
july 17 2002

[QUOTE=Mr 100-ton;28097]having an 100-ton master with 720 sea days qualifies you for an AB unlimited but does not give you the RFPNW

policy letter 13-02
july 17 2002[/QUOTE]

That’s 1440 days you don’t even need that many. Only 1080 are required. Not saying you won’t qualify for the credential, but AB UNL without RFPNW is worth exactly squat. Besides that, what good is a credential that allows you to serve in a supervisory position on a ULCC when you’ve never even run an anchor windlass, or worked with tugs, or helmed a vessel over 50 meters. Not much I would think.

i will reword my post, 720 days qualifies you for an ab unlimited if you sit for your 100 ton masters.

BUT it does not give you RFPNW

so you only need 720 8 hour days IF you sit for a 100 ton master license ALSO

[QUOTE=skinny stick;28049]its weird out here, there are AB’s that are making more than 100 ton captains,have a good friend right now that holds a 200 ton mater and he went to work as a AB making more than I am making as a 100 ton captain. And his state room is alot sweeter than mine. I have not heard of someone on a crew boat as a deckhand making more than a AB. But like I said,he is more than likely married to somebodys cousin.[/QUOTE]

As you guys are finding out, AB’s are a lot more valuable than 100 ton Captains, especially good ones. Frankly, 100 ton Captains basically grow on trees, and as you are also finding out it takes a lot more schooling and training to become a fully qualified AB/UNL RFPNW. Thats why the pay scale is the way it is. It’s not really that weird when you think about it.
100 ton master=720 days sea-time 2 weeks class
AB-UNL=1080 days sea time, 3 weeks of class, 180 days of watchstanding and training on vessels over 200 tons.

I would think at a minimum the pay would be equal or even higher for the AB, since every requirement is superior.