Do I still need RFPNW

And I’m fairly certain that’s what he meant, he just used the wrong word. He’s saying that in an 80-hour 100 ton master course that they cover the contents of most of the RFPNW assessments, although having never taken one of those classes I can’t say if that’s true.

That’s on the schools for not offering to combine RFPNW assessments with a 100 ton course not on the USCG.

Agree with all that. That’s fair.

That’s not at all what I was saying. The 80-hour Master 100 course is nothing but a cram course for an exam the school generates that is supposed to be similar in scope and difficulty to the Coast Guard license exam. That’s all. There is not much covered that is relevant to an RFPNW assessment.

What I was trying to say is what I said, there’s no required training for RFPNW.

Yes, but it’s also probably a sound business decision. I would suspect the market for such a course is about zero, and since RFPNW assessments are practical demonstrations that require a vessel or a simulator, and a Master 100 course needs only a desk and chair it’s beyond the capability of the vast majority of schools offering a Master 100 exam course.


I don’t know where you took a 100T course, but that wasn’t my experience at all. And yeah, I read through the assessments for RFPNW, and at least 90% of that is material that was covered in the 80-hours that I had. I already said earlier that if it is a practical assessment, I understand and that seems pretty reasonable.

If other schools are teaching “cram courses for an exam” needing only “a desk and a chair” then I agree that is bad and should be improved. People with that license are responsible for a lot of lives, as demonstrated in California last month.

I never took a 100 Ton course. But I have evaluated the curriculum of almost every one of them. I probably know considerably more about them than you do.


Did I say that?
I said “That wasn’t my experience at all”.

Maybe the USCG approved portion, and I am sure there are are some schools that do it that way, but the ones I’ve heard about have significant practical training on boats.

1 Like

Except he keeps calling it an “80-hour” course. That’s the absolute minimum length to get approved for the Coast Guard exam only. But since you’ve “heard about” schools that do more, I guess I should defer to your obviously superior experience with and knowledge of maritime training schools.

1 Like

No, but you should defer to the person who actually experienced the course in question.

1 Like

I’m not sure exactly what the problem is here. I have 5 or 6 times enough sea time to get an AB Unlimited and know I need PSC Lifeboatmen for that. I didn’t know the extra requirements for SCTW AB Unlimited. I asked the very innocent question about RRPNW. It’s confusing. My bad.

I got my RFPNW, PSC/Lifeboatman, AB a few months ago. Seaschool fucked up with the RFPNW and ended up costing me a bunch of money but as long as you have your little sheet filled out from the boat you can start collecting that 360 days for Able Seafarer Deck. That’s the one for the overseas gigs. I really wish someone told me that a year ago

Partly correct. But you also need to have all your RFPNW sea time. You can’t start the clock towards AS-D until you have met all the requirements for RFPNW. Time for AS-D starts on the later of either the last RFPNW assessment signed off, or the last day of sea time for RFPNW.

1 Like

RFPNW, PSC, and Able Seafarer - Deck are ALL required for “overseas gigs” and you can’t be AS-D without also having RFPNW.

Thanks for clarifying that for future reference!

A 100 Ton License is Entry Level. Just about anyone can get one with the sea time and the money for the course. It takes less seatime for a 100T (720) than an AB unlimited (1080). A school may cover some of the subjects in a 100T course that are similar to RFPNW but that doesn’t mean they meet the standard of STCW. Just because you discuss something doesn’t mean you meet the same criteria. I don’t have anything against a 100T master but let’s face it. It is entry level and an AB unlimited is not. And as jdcavo has stated STCW and domestic licensing are not the same.

LOL! Something that requires 720 days of sea time is entry level? OS is entry level…

My mistake. It’s 360 days for a 100T master. When you can log that sea time on your own log and you don’t even have to have an OS which is entry level it is clearly an entry level license. To get an AB unlimited you have to work on vessels that a 100T master without an OS can’t even work on.

In total it’s 720 after OUPV which comes first. And as far as AB unlimited goes, there is no tonnage requirement for the vessel you obtain your sea service on. Matter of fact I used all my sea-time that I used for my 100 ton Master to get my AB unlimited.

1 Like

So what?

Anyone with 120 (12 hour) days of seatime on a jet ski, runabout, or whatever, can get AB (OSV). I have seen people get it without any time whatsoever on a vessel over 100 GRT.

Once someone gets their 120 day AB OSV, all they need is seatime to progress all the way to AB Unlimited without anymore exams.

OS is entry level. A rating as AB isn’t necessarily much of a step up. However, a good deckhand is worth a lot, regardless of what endorsements he happens to hold.

1 Like

That’s incorrect. You have to have at least 18 months service on vessels over 100 GT to even get an AB Limited. An AB OSV is only good on an osv. They would have to serve as an OS on any other vessel. Working on a vessel over 100T for 1080 days vs 360 days on damn near any kind of vessel is not the same thing.