Didnt see that coming

I know a few of the Bee-mar guys from the first round that ended up with HGIM. All of them said they were going back to Bee Mar. Now I guess none of them are.

And if the first group of Bee Mar boats are any indication of this current batch, they are welcome to them. This first batch is garbage.

That messed up some guys plans for sure.

Heard about this last month and thought surely it’s just scuttlebutt…guess not

[QUOTE=rigdvr;130055]Heard about this last month and thought surely it’s just scuttlebutt…guess not[/QUOTE]

Quite some time back I talked with some of the folks at Beemar and they said these boats were going to be much nicer than the previous boats they sold. The previous batch were built purely on speculation hoping somebody would buy them before they were ready and no one did. So they were built to meet DP-2 requirements but were built as cheap as possible so Bollinger could make the most amount of money. I heard a few rumors shore side and the consistent story was that Chouest bought these boats to keep his market share by prohibiting Harvey Gulf from purchasing them.

It looks as if Harvey Gulf has begun to get under ECO’s skin a little bit.

Never been aboard one of Bee boats, but they sure aren’t pretty. I did think it was cool that Bollinger built them (wasn’t it basically to keep the shipyard guys employed during the downturn?).

Thats the story ive heard

Wouldn’t surprise me if this is Old Man Gary’s first hint at taking over Bollinger all together. Aside from the Beemar boats, their biggest projects are the coast guard cutters. What better way to get the USCG further into your pocket than to design build their vessels…

[QUOTE=SoCalSalt;130285]Wouldn’t surprise me if this is Old Man Gary’s first hint at taking over Bollinger all together. Aside from the Beemar boats, their biggest projects are the coast guard cutters. What better way to get the USCG further into your pocket than to design build their vessels…[/QUOTE]

Interesting thought. If ECO were to but Bollinger Shipyards they could effectively reduce the dry docking faculties substantially for their competitors. HGIM, HOS, etc… would have limited places to lift their vessels. Buying Bollinger is definitely one way to cripple your competitors without purchasing or building one more vessel.

They didn’t buy the shipyard, just the vessels they were building.

Isn’t the chouest mentality to only build for themselves, not others? That business model wouldn’t work for bollinger from my perspective, way too much tug/barge, gummint work among others.

They’e only rarely bought from outside. Liftboats and the 145 Bollinger mini supplys come to mind. They flipped the minis pretty quickly. To Seacor as I recall. Pretty sure Gary has a plan that will make a pretty ROI for him.

[QUOTE=KrustySalt;130415]They didn’t buy the shipyard, just the vessels they were building.[/QUOTE]

I realize he didn’t buy the shipyard. My comment was that if he were to purchase the shipyard he could cut his competitors off at the knees. While I don’t think he would ever purchase Bollinger he surely wouldn’t keep doing repair work for others if he did. He would probably use the yard to build more vessels for ECO.

I don’t think Bollinger would sell to ECO.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Seacor ended up managing them like they do those anchor boats.

Engineer said the the same thing the other day. Did, or do seacore mariners crew those boats?

Doesn’t Seacor actually own those boats? They are crewed and managed by Chouest.

I guess that’s my question as well. The engineer was telling me all about it, but I don’t remember who crews them. It was more or less a “Gary can do wrong this is another way he is stacking paper” story

Yes as far as I know. Seacor owned, Chouest crewed.