Defeating Stealth with Sea Birds

Transponders on albatross detect vessels with AIS turned off.

Cheers

Earl

It is just like dogs used to sniff something they like or detest; they only do not need a transponder, they always come back to where their bowl is.

So this means we’ll be saying goodbye to the albatross soon? Sorry, in a dark mood today.

1 Like

I’m in a good mood but that is the first thing I thought. If you’re going to spy on people it’s probably best not to publish an article about it. I just read elsewhere that #8 & #9 target shells for shooting skeet goes for $25 for a box of 100.

I don’t think that the Royal Albatross will be used for this purpose in New Zealand or any of its sub Antartica islands. The birds are protected and there is very heavy fines for interfering with them in any way.

I wondered whether the albatrosses fly high enough to see the fishing vessels in the ocean or they smell the huge fishy cloud in the lee of these vessels. Wikipedia says, ‘they use their uniquely developed sense of smell to locate potential food sources’.

I could not stop and read the whole, very long article about the Great Albatross; a really interesting and unique bird !

Forget target loads, handload some of the old 12 gauge goose loads with lead shot…at a minimum. Although Mr. Coleridge advises against such activity. Very troubling, that bit about wandering around telling your tale of woe outside of weddings…

2 Likes

He was cursed, he didn’t have a choice. Probably didn’t have any money left to pay the rent on the stool to tell his tale of woe like all the other ancient mariners. Luckily for us, we have the internet & gcaptain forum so we don’t have to bother wedding guests & bar patrons to spread our woes.

For those who don’t know what we are talking about.

1 Like