DDE 4000 application question

Hello all; before I get started and you guys flame me I want to say that I have tried the search function but couldn’t really find what I was looking for. I’m about to apply for my DDE 4000 and basically I want to receive every endorsement possible. I know enough to ask for Chief OSV but what else can I get? Is there still QMED any rating? Coal pusher? Seriously, I want it all! Never know what I might need. All of my sea time is on an OSV. Thanks in advance.

[QUOTE=53hemi;160719]Hello all; before I get started and you guys flame me I want to say that I have tried the search function but couldn’t really find what I was looking for. I’m about to apply for my DDE 4000 and basically I want to receive every endorsement possible. I know enough to ask for Chief OSV but what else can I get? Is there still QMED any rating? Coal pusher? Seriously, I want it all! Never know what I might need. All of my sea time is on an OSV. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

I just got 3A/E steam in Jan and was not granted “any rating.” I asked why and their explanation is that it’s no longer supported by the CFRs. Which is true, that portion has been superseded but I don’t see how they can do that if all my time was acquired under the old rules.

[QUOTE=catherder;160720]I just got 3A/E steam in Jan and was not granted “any rating.” I asked why and their explanation is that it’s no longer supported by the CFRs. Which is true, that portion has been superseded but I don’t see how they can do that if all my time was acquired under the old rules.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I upgraded last year under the new rules and received QMED all again. You got ripped off!

[QUOTE=snacktray;160724]Interesting. I upgraded last year under the new rules and received QMED all again. You got ripped off![/QUOTE]

Yep. I sure did.

Those folks in WV are scary.

I posted a thread about it along with the reply from the NMC. It’s around somewhere.

Assuming your sea service started before mar 14 2014 or whatever the hell that day of infamy was, you should also be able to get ‘engineer OSV’ which is now called ‘assistant engineer OSV’.

‘Engineer OSV’ is an unlimited hp ticket, which means you can run assistant on any OSV basically, and will help you get greater horsepower if you decide to upgrade later to chief limited or such.

As you will read in various threads, it pays to get a licensing consultant these days. I got my DDE a couple yrs ago and got qmed all ratings without asking. All the luck of the draw on who you get as an evaluator.

[QUOTE=Ctony;160753]Assuming your sea service started before mar 14 2014 or whatever the hell that day of infamy was, you should also be able to get ‘engineer OSV’ which is now called ‘assistant engineer OSV’.

‘Engineer OSV’ is an unlimited hp ticket, which means you can run assistant on any OSV basically, and will help you get greater horsepower if you decide to upgrade later to chief limited or such.

As you will read in various threads, it pays to get a licensing consultant these days. I got my DDE a couple yrs ago and got qmed all ratings without asking. All the luck of the draw on who you get as an evaluator.[/QUOTE]

So they call assistant engineer osv " Engineer osv" and chief osv “C/E OSV”? that adds unnecessary confusion. WTF is wrong with A/E OSV and C/E OSV?

[QUOTE=snacktray;160758]So they call assistant engineer osv " Engineer osv" and chief osv “C/E OSV”? that adds unnecessary confusion. WTF is wrong with A/E OSV and C/E OSV?[/QUOTE]

I think that’s why they changed it maybe?

Before, a dde could get chief osv with corresponding hp, and also get ‘engineer osv,’ and engineer osv was unlimited hp in the assistants capacity.

Now, assistant engineer osv is a license unto its own, requiring 1080 days I believe, and your hp rating goes based on vessels hp rating you’ve been on. That’s why I was suggesting to the OP to go the route of before march 2014.

Thanks for every thing so far!

Its a DDE Limited, if your smart you should only have it for 240 days before you sit again anyway. I wouldnt get to worried about the added stickers, but i believe they stopped giving the “any rating” a little while ago due to the rule changes.