Dann Ocean Towing

Hello All,

I have secured an OS position at Dann Ocean Towing, and am curious to hear about the pay scale aboard their tugboats, as I plan on becoming a 3rd mate hopefully sooner than later. Does anyone work for them on here/know someone who does?

[B][U]IMHO[/U][/B]…first off congrats and good luck on your quest!!don’t mean to piss in your garden but click here: http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/checklists/MCP-FM-NMC5-19%203rd%20Mate%20AGT.pdf?list1=checklists%2FMCP-FM-NMC5-19+3rd+Mate+AGT.pdf&B1=GO%21 …note the tonnage requirement…most US tugs are <200grt…that said an OS position on a offshore tug is a good start…BE SAFE & BEST LUCK!!

I am a recent Maine grad trying to get my foot in the door. My license is a 1600 near coastal with a TOAR.

con 'grad’ulations just be aware that a favorite Dann trick is to say you are an ordinary, then when they ‘need’ you as an A.B. they forget to pay you your A.B wages. Then when it is convenient they dump you back to O.S.

But in your position, get some good time under your belt, then look for better paying jobs. Right now is not a time to be too choosy, just forewarned is forearmed.

Heard the phrase repeated: We don’t hire A.B’s at Dann. We only hire O.S’s… Until they need one!

[QUOTE=chilpepr86;48034]I am a recent Maine grad trying to get my foot in the door. My license is a 1600 near coastal with a TOAR.[/QUOTE]

If you’ve never worked deck on a tugboat, prepare to start there. No company is gonna let you drive their boat if you can’t tell a deckhand what to do & safely do it.

[QUOTE=Tugted;48082]If you’ve never worked deck on a tugboat, prepare to start there. No company is gonna let you drive their boat if you can’t tell a deckhand what to do & safely do it.[/QUOTE]
I think what TUG meant was: ’ You can’t tell a deckhand what to do if you’ve never (successfully) done a deckhands job.’ and attending school is NOT synonymous with deckhand experience. Now would be the time to pay attention, more than you ever did in class.

1000% true. The academies teach you how to pass the test. The real challenge is paying attention on deck and not getting yourself killed.

I’m not clear on some things, please define what you mean by “a recent maritime grad”…1600 NC what? You hold a completed TOAR? What job are you transitioning from? And finally, you took the job and didn’t ask what the compensation/work schedule is?

Just a few questions; You took the job and don’t know what the pay is? How did you complete your TOAR? Are you endorsed as a Master or Mate of Towing Vessels? 1600NC[I] what[/I]? How “recent” a maritime grad"? Do you have any working experience in real world tug boating?
Okay, maybe more than a [I]few[/I] questions…

[QUOTE=captainbry;49547]1000% true. The academies teach you how to pass the test. The real challenge is paying attention on deck and not getting yourself killed.[/QUOTE]
That applies to ANY schoolhouse. Not only do they teach a test, but they teach you a test that they are giving you! I once saw a hawspiper stumble around for an hour trying to come up with an answer when the Capt asked him what the red, white and blue lights on the top of the bridge span meant.

For everyone working towards a license … the day that little red book comes in the mail is the day the real learning BEGINS, not ends.

I will say this to Anyone who is new to the Industry-Keep your Eyes Open and Your Mouth Shut. 99% of the Guys on a Boat will do anything to Help the “New Guy” out because his life is dependent Upon Yours. Leave your Pride at the Home- If in Doubt about ANYTHING ASK-ASK-ASK or just ASK! If someone grabs you to move-MOVE! There is time to find out Why later when you are not Dead because of your actions. Keep a little note book to jot things down after each watch-this will help you in the long run. Buy a copy of “The American Merchant Seamens Manual” and read a little at a time to educate Yourself. Take Pride in Your Job. Remember you are getting a Paid Education so make the most of it. Do not expect to know everything after a couple of hitches-if you think you do it is time to choose a different Profession Because you are an accident waiting to happen. The Best Wheelhouse Guys were the Best Deckhands first-If You Make it that far Never Forget Where You Came From or where you learned it. Good Luck!

Couldn’t have said it better myself. Hope this helps someone. Be safe guys

When I have a cadet aboard I always ask him where his blue book is. (The American Merchant Officers Handbook) Sometimes they have one with them. Then I drop the bombshell… You should have graduated to that book FROM the Merchant Seaman’s Manual first. Unless one knows the whole job they will be less than proficient in the upper levels later. Okay… enough soapbox.

Am I the only one who finds this post a bit “off”…With all due respect, if he holds a completed TOAR, he should already know what’s going on, on the deck of a tug. Period. Chilpepr86, what outfit did you work in to get your TOAR signed off? You have a 1600 ton NC (Master/Mate?) ticket, wouldn’t you have graduated Maine Maritime with a 3M Unl? How can a “recent” maritime grad have all these credentials and still have to ask what compensation he should expect from a job he just landed, didn’t you ask? Is it just me?

They have a tugboat at MMA so they sign their own TOARs. But luckily chilipepr actually realizes that just having a signed TOAR does not… well, some of us get it. too bad Uncle Sams Confused Group don’t!