Cruiseship jobs

Im a qmed lloking for a job on a cruiseship. Any advice?

I dont know of any cruise ships calling American ports that pay any money, even the 1 or 2 USA flagged ships that call Hawaii. They are all basically Bahamian or other FOC states. Full of Filipinos and Ukrainians. That’s all I see in Tampa and Miami. If you really want to take a pay cut, I suppose it’s possible.

That’s not true, Pride of America for one is US flagged. There’s a few others but not many. A few smaller regional cruise lines exist too. To get a QMED job you probably have to be SIU or something though.

Edit: and no matter what the pay won’t be great.

Unlicensed jobs on POA are all SIU.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;127659]That’s not true, Pride of America for one is US flagged. There’s a few others but not many. A few smaller regional cruise lines exist too. To get a QMED job you probably have to be SIU or something though.

Edit: and no matter what the pay won’t be great.[/QUOTE]

I said there was at least 1 USA flagged cruise ship in my first sentence. seriously, how did you miss that???

As of January 2013, there was only USA flag cruise ship. I doubt that has changed, but gave it some padding and said 1 or 2.

My bad you’re right. At a glance I thought you were saying that even the 1 or 2 that called on Hawaii were FOC.

Either way the OP shouldn’t wanna try for that job, not worth it.

I can think of three US Flag, non union, outfits off the top of my head. American Cruise Lines, Great Lakes Cruise Lines and Blount Small Ship Cruises.

None of whom use qmeds. And barely pay anything.

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;127727]None of whom use qmeds. And barely pay anything.[/QUOTE]

And all of whom have engines about the size of a bulldozer diesel, if that much.

Haha if they have 3412s or 12v71s then they have more power than most!

I wasn’t making any disparaging remarks or commenting on the companies’ personnel policies. An honest question was put forth and I answered it. period.