Credential Return Time

REC Baltimore took one week to forward my app. Now at evaluator in basket since Friday. This is pretty cut and dried so we’ll see how long it takes now.

I still have no idea if those tests they want me to take are really necessary. I haven’t had an intelligent reply from any source, except that all the professional mariners I talk to insist that my 200-ton exams are more than enough for a 100-ton master. If only the USCG could get on board the Happy Train instead of the Negative-Nancy train…

Way back in ancient times I sat for a 200 ton NC mate’s license. When it got printed it covered master inland, 100 tons. I would reccomend you specify that on your application to be sure. Basically you need to email the nmc and ask to ammend your application to include master 100 tons whatever the hell; that will sort it out since they don’t seem to comprehend equivalencies these days.

Looking at sea time there’s no way they won’t give you the 100 ton master inland if they approve you to test for the 200 ton mate’s ticket…sparing the NMC making a huge screwup. Dig through the exam guide

compare page 70 and 71,

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/training/pdfs/deck_and_engineering_guide.pdf

Looking at that exam guide, unofficially i can undoubtedly tell you they will not make you take anything in excess of the 200 ton mate’s exams. The mate’s license exams are more comprehensive.

[QUOTE=z-drive;100791]Way back in ancient times I sat for a 200 ton NC mate’s license. When it got printed it covered master inland, 100 tons. I would reccomend you specify that on your application to be sure. Basically you need to email the nmc and ask to ammend your application to include master 100 tons whatever the hell; that will sort it out since they don’t seem to comprehend equivalencies these days.

Looking at sea time there’s no way they won’t give you the 100 ton master inland if they approve you to test for the 200 ton mate’s ticket…sparing the NMC making a huge screwup. Dig through the exam guide

compare page 70 and 71,

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/training/pdfs/deck_and_engineering_guide.pdf

Looking at that exam guide, unofficially i can undoubtedly tell you they will not make you take anything in excess of the 200 ton mate’s exams. The mate’s license exams are more comprehensive.[/QUOTE]

They no longer process the 100-ton inland master at the same time as the 200-ton near coastal mate for students finishing the first 2 years of the VOT program. I don’t know what caused this change but the school strongly recommends that you not ask for the 100-ton inland master because the only purpose it serves is to screw up your paperwork and get your 200-ton mate and AB-limited later than you otherwise would have. Someone in this last licensing round tried it and while I got my Mate and AB at the beginning of June he got his, with no master’s license, at the end of July/early August.

What I’m trying to do now is apply for my 100-ton inland master because I have the sea-time for it and because my Mate and AB licenses are safely out of the way (since last June). At this point I am just trying to get the NMC to understand the “equivalency” issue because, like I said before, everyone I’ve spoken to insists that the exams for a 200-ton NC mate DO translate for a 100-ton inland master. I just don’t know how to make the NMC understand that.

What have they said? Did they issue you an ‘approved to test’ letter stating you DID need to test? Otherwise if its just awaiting PQEB I’d just get on the phone and call them up to get the ball rolling. If they say you need to test, then you can appeal. But is it worth it over a 100-ton inland ticket to wait 6 months on an appeal and all the hassle to maybe just have to test in the end?

The exams are different but the 200-ton mate’s license is obviously more intensive. I don’t see it as a published equivalency, its something you just need to apply for and make them figure out. Your sea time and qualifications meet the requirements, you have recently tested, and are basically looking for increase in scope. Only thing I could see them require is you to take an inland-only rules exam. But unlikely. I highly doubt they will make you test again. Past practice has always been to issue those two together, so that’s something you need to bring up.

I recently submitted an app for a renewal/raise in grade and there was one issue with a sea time letter, so I got a new one and sent it in. Couple weeks pass, and I don’t hear anything. Called them up to say…wtf? Next day the license was issued. May be a matter of just bringing the issue up with an evaluator. Should not be a problem, but nothing will likely happen in the short term unless you follow up with them.

EXAMINATION
STRUCTURE

Tonnage Group- NMT 200 GROSS REGISTERED TONS
Route- NEAR COASTAL
Action- ORIGINAL ISSUE
RAISE IN GRADE (from OUPV NC)
EXAM CODE
22KR
MODULES
054XX Rules of the Road: International and Inland
011X3 Deck General
072X1 Navigation General
221XX Deck Safety and Environmental Protection
073XX Navigation Problems: Chart Plot

• SERVICE REQUIREMENT 46CFR 11.427

MASTER
Tonnage Group- NMT 100 GROSS REGISTERED TONS
Route- GREAT LAKES AND INLAND OR INLAND
Action- ORIGINAL ISSUE
RAISE IN GRADE (from OUPV GL & I or I)
EXAM CODE
27CA
MODULES NUMBER OF QUESTIONS MINIMUM SCORE
066XX Rules of the Road: Inland 30 90
072X1 Navigation General 20 70
271XX Deck General, Deck Safety
and Environmental Protection 60 70
077XX Navigation Problems: Chart Plot

[QUOTE=z-drive;100833]What have they said? Did they issue you an ‘approved to test’ letter stating you DID need to test? Otherwise if its just awaiting PQEB I’d just get on the phone and call them up to get the ball rolling. If they say you need to test, then you can appeal. But is it worth it over a 100-ton inland ticket to wait 6 months on an appeal and all the hassle to maybe just have to test in the end?

The exams are different but the 200-ton mate’s license is obviously more intensive. I don’t see it as a published equivalency, its something you just need to apply for and make them figure out. Your sea time and qualifications meet the requirements, you have recently tested, and are basically looking for increase in scope. Only thing I could see them require is you to take an inland-only rules exam. But unlikely. I highly doubt they will make you test again. Past practice has always been to issue those two together, so that’s something you need to bring up.

I recently submitted an app for a renewal/raise in grade and there was one issue with a sea time letter, so I got a new one and sent it in. Couple weeks pass, and I don’t hear anything. Called them up to say…wtf? Next day the license was issued. May be a matter of just bringing the issue up with an evaluator. Should not be a problem, but nothing will likely happen in the short term unless you follow up with them.

EXAMINATION
STRUCTURE

Tonnage Group- NMT 200 GROSS REGISTERED TONS
Route- NEAR COASTAL
Action- ORIGINAL ISSUE
RAISE IN GRADE (from OUPV NC)
EXAM CODE
22KR
MODULES
054XX Rules of the Road: International and Inland
011X3 Deck General
072X1 Navigation General
221XX Deck Safety and Environmental Protection
073XX Navigation Problems: Chart Plot

• SERVICE REQUIREMENT 46CFR 11.427

MASTER
Tonnage Group- NMT 100 GROSS REGISTERED TONS
Route- GREAT LAKES AND INLAND OR INLAND
Action- ORIGINAL ISSUE
RAISE IN GRADE (from OUPV GL & I or I)
EXAM CODE
27CA
MODULES NUMBER OF QUESTIONS MINIMUM SCORE
066XX Rules of the Road: Inland 30 90
072X1 Navigation General 20 70
271XX Deck General, Deck Safety
and Environmental Protection 60 70
077XX Navigation Problems: Chart Plot[/QUOTE]

I did actually get the “approved to test” letter. They want me to take a chart plot (only 10 questions, not 20 like I had on the 200-ton) and a deck safety/environmental protection, which was also part of my 200-ton. Both tests are 100% redundant. They didn’t even ask me to take an “inland only” rules exam or anything like that. I left a message on the phone with my evaluator last Thursday at 1600, explaining that I had already taken these exams and just wanted to be issued a license with what I already had, and still haven’t heard anything from them yet. I think I may call again tomorrow.

Also, about the appeal, since my exams are only good for 12 months they expire at the end of this April. So if my appeal takes 6 months, that will take me well past the expiration date of my exams, or do they count retroactively from the date my application was registered into their system, which was January 23rd?

Probably not, thats why sometimes the appeal route isn’t worth it. You need to get on the phone and try and make your case.

[QUOTE=catherder;100170]I’ll bet Mr. Cavo can weigh in on this…[/QUOTE]

I can’t. My office decides appeals of any NMC and I can’t gert involved on specific decisions by NMC as I need to be disinterested and uninvolved if an appeal results.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;100848]…Also, about the appeal, since my exams are only good for 12 months they expire at the end of this April. So if my appeal takes 6 months, that will take me well past the expiration date of my exams, or do they count retroactively from the date my application was registered into their system, which was January 23rd?[/QUOTE]

An appeal stops the clock on the one year time limit. It resumes when your appeal is decided (assuming you don’t prevail, in which case it’s moot)

[QUOTE=jdcavo;100870]An appeal stops the clock on the one year time limit. It resumes when your appeal is decided (assuming you don’t prevail, in which case it’s moot)[/QUOTE]

So, just to be clear, do you think it would be worthwhile to make an appeal if there is some kind of an issue with the application? I completely understand how and why you are required to remain disconnected from any specific cases so I thank you for whatever information you are able to provide that I may find useful, however limited it may be. It will still be more than I know now.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;100873]So, just to be clear, do you think it would be worthwhile to make an appeal if there is some kind of an issue with the application? I completely understand how and why you are required to remain disconnected from any specific cases so I thank you for whatever information you are able to provide that I may find useful, however limited it may be. It will still be more than I know now.[/QUOTE]

If it goes the full appeal route, it will; take time. Probably six months. I don’;t know how many decisions are reversed at the first appeal level, the “reconsiderartion.” NMC decides them and I haven’t seen data on the outcomes. Of the “professional” appeals we get (sea service, exams, training, etc.) about 50% prevail and the NMC decision is reversed. The rate is higher on medical, lower on "suitability’ (convictions and drug tests). So you would need to decide if the likelihood of prevailing is worth the wait.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;100877]If it goes the full appeal route, it will; take time. Probably six months. I don’;t know how many decisions are reversed at the first appeal level, the “reconsiderartion.” NMC decides them and I haven’t seen data on the outcomes. Of the “professional” appeals we get (sea service, exams, training, etc.) about 50% prevail and the NMC decision is reversed. The rate is higher on medical, lower on "suitability’ (convictions and drug tests). So you would need to decide if the likelihood of prevailing is worth the wait.[/QUOTE]

Mr. Cavo,
Thank you for your professional advice. I will certainly bear all of it in mind in sorting out this little conundrum.

• PaddyWest

[QUOTE=jdcavo;100877]If it goes the full appeal route, it will; take time. Probably six months. I don’;t know how many decisions are reversed at the first appeal level, the “reconsiderartion.” NMC decides them and I haven’t seen data on the outcomes. Of the “professional” appeals we get (sea service, exams, training, etc.) about 50% prevail and the NMC decision is reversed. The rate is higher on medical, lower on "suitability’ (convictions and drug tests). So you would need to decide if the likelihood of prevailing is worth the wait.[/QUOTE]

I should have noted that the first level of appeal, the reconsideration by NMC, is decided faster than the appeal to CG HQ, often in less than a month.

Just got off the phone with the NMC. My 100-ton inland master was finally approved. Captain PaddyWest kinda has a nice ring to it. As much as I hate to agree with hippies it turns out that you CAN fight city hall on occasion.

Congrats! Squeaky wheel works don’t it?

Any update on return times

Mine finally made it to the NMC on the 23rd. It took over a week to get there from Charleston. It only this morning (4th) went for evaluation.

My unlimited master renewal went into the REC on 5/19 and was approved for issuance this afternoon by MMC. Should be in the mail by weeks end. Toledo REC seems a good bet these days. They fired it off to NMC within 24 hrs.

My unl master renewal took about 3 weeks from initial emailing into REC To getting the email saying it was mailed out. This was just last month. I did hear horror stories from shipmates for simple renewals so I gave myself atleast 10 weeks taking into account my work rotations so I’m not caught onboard with an expired license…

My renewal/upgrade (DDE Unlimited to Chief Limited-Oceans) has been in since May 7. Expires on August 20. Starting to get worried (I still have a 28 day hitch coming up next week). Been hung up in PQEB (Professional Qualifications) since 5/13. It’s a pretty straight forward deal. Don’t know what the problem is.