Crazy 3/M Jobs?

Cosby Pope

This whole thing falls under the purview that AB unlimited/PICs got more practical than 3/m…don’t get me wrong…I’ll deck out…only if it is the NW. And like all the Crowley and Sause guys say in LA…You a cadet? I thought you was a Claudette…fuck put a wig on ya boy your as pretty as they come!

You are deciding between a dangerous job where you’ll get sick OR working for Transocean?

Why not have your cake and eat it too by following my footsteps and volunteer to man a transocean rustbucket in India? Although conditions have improved there I still personally guarantee you’ll get sick and, if you visit the local hospital, you will be in danger.

Better yet, why not catch a plane to Nigeria and hit up the local osv companies for a job? You might even win a Darwin award for your efforts :wink:

Check out research ships for some interesting ports and crappy pay.

[QUOTE=50thState;84267]Check out research ships for some interesting ports and crappy pay.[/QUOTE] Yup. You’ll hit some strange and cool places on the MSC contract TAGS ships. AMO jobs that pay next to nothing. And no it isn’t hard to get into AMO. They have an office in Houston. Bring cash.

I don’t think AMO has an office in Houston. Pretty sure it’s in Dania Beach, FL, and you don’t have to pay a penny to get a job.

Let me rephrase that: you don’t have to pay a penny until you get a job.

No, they have a small office in Houston near the port

Ok. Never heard a word about it!

[QUOTE=New3M;84557]Ok. Never heard a word about it![/QUOTE]

As far as I know, no jobs are dispatched from there. It used to be only a patrolman by the name of Willard (ie. local goon to board the vessels and strongarm officers paying off to fork over more PAC money!) Be forewarned lad that the AMO is a shakedown operation run by racketeers!

[QUOTE=New3M;84527]Let me rephrase that: you don’t have to pay a penny until you get a job.[/QUOTE]

And then it will be hundreds of thousands of pennies ever year! That’s an idea…fork over the blood money to the goons all in coin and not in pretty little rolls either but in 5 gallon buckets! Hey, it’s legal tender to be used for all debts, public and private!

I think all of the jobs are out of Florida. The ‘diapatch’ is kind of a joke.

I would love to see somebody pay their initiation fee in pennies!!! Ohh the woman behind the desk would have no idea what to do with it…

[QUOTE=c.captain;84584]And then it will be hundreds of thousands of pennies ever year! That’s an idea…fork over the blood money to the goons all in coin and not in pretty little rolls either but in 5 gallon buckets! Hey, it’s legal tender to be used for all debts, public and private![/QUOTE]

Actually coinage doesn’t state that. Only paper currency.

Maybe not crazy, but a fine series of jobs open to you now is on the Tall Ships. The pay is horrid but the ports of call, female companionship, marlinspike seamanship, and enjoyability are top notch.
If this sounds intriguing do some research then send me a PM.
Fair winds.

[QUOTE=gcsaylor;84653]Actually coinage doesn’t state that. Only paper currency.[/QUOTE]

Hey, if it is legal for paper it’s gotta be for coin as well. Just not enough room to stamp it on!

[QUOTE=c.captain;84668]Hey, if it is legal for paper it’s gotta be for coin as well. Just not enough room to stamp it on![/QUOTE]

This is what I get for opening my mouth. I looked into it and am wrong.

[QUOTE=gcsaylor;84688]This is what I get for opening my mouth. I looked into it and am wrong.[/QUOTE]

HA! and double HA!

OK all you AMO & SIU members…time to pay your dues, initiation and PAF graft demands in 5gallon buckets of pennies!

hey thanks again for all the responses. got some good leads. Like i was saying earlier, yeah maybe i watched too many movies, but what’s wrong with idealism? especially at my age… i’ve got time to become old and bitter. might as well learn the hard way right? c.captain… thanks for the hassle. it’s probably a preview of what’s to come for me as a brand new academy grad 3rd mate and i’m sure I deserve it - wish we had more people like you around to knock some sense into us in the beginning so we all didn’t have to learn the hard way on the job. Just know that not all of us are like tmakid1 or whatever his name is… most of us are sick of the academy bullshit within 2 weeks of joining the school and ready to gtfo asap.

movies today are CRAP! Find a copy of “Action in the North Atlantic” or better yet “The Cruel Sea”. The latter film is a true classic of the horrors of honest to God seafarers going to sea in time of war.

//youtu.be/joUDAD3GB3g

This is the REAL SHIT…not Jerry FUCKING Bruckheimer DUNG!

but what’s wrong with idealism? especially at my age…

because "idealism is “unrealistic” and is a waste of time and potentially a career! I wrote the book on this lunacy so speak as an EXPERT on the subject.

i’ve got time to become old and bitter. might as well learn the hard way right?

your call on that, but speaking as an expert, I am trying to help you prevent wasting years in pursuits which have little chance to pay any long term benefits

c.captain… thanks for the hassle.

reference my answer above…if you feel that I am hassling you then too bad, I am actually giving you “tough love”

it’s probably a preview of what’s to come for me as a brand new academy grad 3rd mate and i’m sure I deserve it - wish we had more people like you around to knock some sense into us in the beginning so we all didn’t have to learn the hard way on the job.

I DO NOT BELIEVE IN CODDLING! Stand on your own feet as soon you graduate and you will do well in this industry. Your academy education is worthless and you new turd mate’s license is toilet paper. Know that you don’t know SHIT from SHINOLA, keep you mouth shut and learn everything you can all the time. Or you can stay crawling and mewing and you’ll be eaten alive by us crusty veterans of the sea.

Just know that not all of us are like tmakid1 or whatever his name is…

Then stop posting such nonsense here which makes you sound like TMAcadet1…he was a complete putz and got his head handed to him on a platter! There’s two types on brand new third mates. The kind that us old farts see as having what it takes to be a true seaman and who’ll we’ll invest the time and effort to teach. Then there’s the rest who we can’t abide. Which type do you want to be today?

Well I cant believe it, this kid just got 20min of my life I’ll never get back, reading this thread…on my first week of vacation no less, thats a shame.