Crazy 3/M Jobs?

Hey guys -
Yeah, another jobs thread. I know there are tons of threads already (just read a metric shitton about gulf OS jobs), but I’m looking for a little more specific advice. I just passed my 3/M AGT Oceans (7/7, makes me real special right?). I’m graduating from TMA in December. I was just wondering what are the craziest, most unique, adventurous jobs you guys had ever heard of? I’m the kind of guy who’d much rather be getting the shit knocked out of him in the North Sea or dodging RPGs in the gulf of Aden than sitting on my ass on a rig in the Gulf (dont get me wrong, i’d love to work for Transocean too), but it’s tough to hear about much other than the oil patch when you go to school an hour from Houston. Is it true that working overseas in dangerous areas gets you more money? I’m not worried about danger, i’m still young and invincible and don’t have a family or anything. I’d like to see the world too, call at different ports and maybe stay more than a day. I realize how unrealistic that is, but, you guys would probably know more about where to look than me!

Also looking for advice for a brand new 3rd mate, job market condition, pay (man i’ve heard some extravagant rumors), and some harassment from you crusty old guys who like to talk about pointed sticks. Thanks in advance-

P.S. i read that long post title “READ THIS FIRST”, just so you know.

Also - it seems like drilling is hiring a lot right now. Better to try to get a job on a rig or a drillship while the getting is good?

Fishing ship out of Nigeria.

Talk to Premier Pacific Seafoods in Seattle. They operate the Ocean Phoenix in the Bering Sea. It is a steam powered boxboat converted to a fish factory. Lots of ship handling experience and dealing with an amazing scope of “stuff” and it (at least used to) spend quite a bit of time in Japan at the end of the season.

Wow there must be some crazy recruitment posters around TMA to have all these ideas in his head.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;84190]Wow there must be some crazy recruitment posters around TMA to have all these ideas in his head.[/QUOTE]
either that or he needs a drug test…

Yeah like I said, probably unrealistic to look for adventure at sea. Better to get a boring but high paying job and adventure in my own time?

already too familiar with us here

Yeah, another jobs thread. I know there are tons of threads already (just read a metric shitton about gulf OS jobs), but I’m looking for a little more specific advice.

WTF is a metric shitton?

I just passed my 3/M AGT Oceans (7/7, makes me real special right?). I’m graduating from TMA in December.

You’re a nobody and not worth a metric or even an SAE microgivashitz until you prove your professional abilities and quality of you character

I was just wondering what are the craziest, most unique, adventurous jobs you guys had ever heard of? I’m the kind of guy who’d much rather be getting the shit knocked out of him in the North Sea or dodging RPGs in the gulf of Aden than sitting on my ass on a rig in the Gulf

this is not a very mature statement to make…it rather is coming across like some punk who wants to go to Goatshitistan to kill ragheads. Not sounding much like a professional mariner imo.

(dont get me wrong, i’d love to work for Transocean too),

and why exactly will Transocean want YOU?

but it’s tough to hear about much other than the oil patch when you go to school an hour from Houston.

that’s because it’s where the work and the money is if you work on vessels for a living

Is it true that working overseas in dangerous areas gets you more money?

NO…where did you hear that nonsense?

I’m not worried about danger, i’m still young and invincible

then you are STOOPID!

I’d like to see the world too, call at different ports and maybe stay more than a day.

that’s fair and there are seagoing jobs that will take you all over the planet but you’re not going to get the $$$…go with the AMO or MSC if that’s what you want

I realize how unrealistic that is

this is the first intelligent statement you’ve made son,

but, you guys would probably know more about where to look than me!

yes, we do but we’re still not gonna give you any of that

Also looking for advice for a brand new 3rd mate, job market condition, pay (man i’ve heard some extravagant rumors), and some harassment from you crusty old guys who like to talk about pointed sticks.

what a snivelling little shit you are!

Thanks in advance-

eff you

P.S. i read that long post title “READ THIS FIRST”, just so you know.

so what…if you had understood any of what you read there then you wouldn’t have have posted this diarrhea here

I wonder if he knows TMAcadet1…

[QUOTE=c.captain;84206]already too familiar with us here

WTF is a metric shitton?

You’re a nobody and not worth a metric or even an SAE microgivashitz until you prove your professional abilities and quality of you character

this is not a very mature statement to make…it rather is coming across like some punk who wants to go to Goatshitistan to kill ragheads. Not sounding much like a professional mariner imo.

and why exactly will Transocean want YOU?

that’s because it’s where the work and the money is if you work on vessels for a living

NO…where did you hear that nonsense?

then you are STOOPID!

that’s fair and there are seagoing jobs that will take you all over the planet but you’re not going to get the $$$…go with the AMO or MSC if that’s what you want

this is the first intelligent statement you’ve made son,

yes, we do but we’re still not gonna give you any of that

what a snivelling little shit you are!

eff you

so what…if you had understood any of what you read there then you wouldn’t have have posted this diarrhea here[/QUOTE]

Too familiar? sorry [I]Captain[/I]… should have been more respectful sir.

sarcasm? can’t believe i have to spell it out, most of that was sarcastic. I realize that I’m a nobody. I’m not an idiot. Most of my fellow cadets are stupid as shit and we deserve the reputation we have. I figured you’d be a little more thick skinned as a sailor. Anyway, thanks for the help captain. Just trying not to clog up your sector of the industry more with my retardedness by getting a job that takes me somewhere interesting instead of “bayoo laflush”.

As an AB Unlimited/Tankerman and former US Navy sailor, I shudder to think f the folks who’ll work under you.

Sarcasm or not.

All jobs have their tendencies to get extremely dangerous, that’s the industry in general if you ain’t a desk jockey. For instance, having a captain who isn’t paying attention and throttles to much, snaps a lashing cable and slices a deck in half. Or, some cocky 3rd who falls asleep in at wheel watch in shitty fucking weather (which always sort of blew my mind.)

My advice is to lurk more, and don’t post redundant inane stuff that obviously the Older caps on here are going to get pissed off about.

Best of Luck.

If you are looking for adventure you should have joined the US Marine Corps. Adventure at sea is normally the last thing you want.

[QUOTE=capcon;84213]Too familiar? sorry [I]Captain[/I]… should have been more respectful sir.

sarcasm? can’t believe i have to spell it out, most of that was sarcastic. I realize that I’m a nobody. I’m not an idiot. Most of my fellow cadets are stupid as shit and we deserve the reputation we have. I figured you’d be a little more thick skinned as a sailor. Anyway, thanks for the help captain. Just trying not to clog up your sector of the industry more with my retardedness by getting a job that takes me somewhere interesting instead of “bayoo laflush”.[/QUOTE]

sorry too late to back peddle your way out of this one son

like I said before “what a snivelling little shit you are!”

[QUOTE=nazeal;84217]As an AB Unlimited/Tankerman and former US Navy sailor, I shudder to think f the folks who’ll work under you.

Sarcasm or not.

All jobs have their tendencies to get extremely dangerous, that’s the industry in general if you ain’t a desk jockey. For instance, having a captain who isn’t paying attention and throttles to much, snaps a lashing cable and slices a deck in half. Or, some cocky 3rd who falls asleep in at wheel watch in shitty fucking weather (which always sort of blew my mind.)

My advice is to lurk more, and don’t post redundant inane stuff that obviously the Older caps on here are going to get pissed off about.

Best of Luck.[/QUOTE]

Good lad! A true mariner like yourself is welcome on my ship anytime. I’d be damned glad to have you!

Capcon, work on Research Vessels is usually pretty interesting. The pay is NEVER that great, but you wind up going to lots of different places and the job is always changing. Way different than working in the GOM or deepsea bulk transport.If you really want to see what the North Atlantic is like, you might try contacting Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute (www.whoi.edu). They operate in that neck of the woods.Now, this is just my two cents, but you might want to pull the throttles back on your quest for “danger”. I well remember what it was like to be your age and thinking it was a great idea to jump right into the shit, but we soon realize that danger isn’t something we need to go looking for. It can find us on any given day in this job. Nothing wrong in focusing on a career path that is out of the ordinary, but seriously tone down the danger bit. You really are not invincible. Just saying…Also, don’t pay much attention to anyone who can’t offer you professional, constructive criticism. This industry is full of people who think they’re better than you. The ones who actually are can point you in the right direction without sounding like a jackass.Good luck.

Not a bad idea, I wish more 3/m’s came to DP are a few years getting the snot kicked out of them. It sure did me some good :cool:

Also read John’s article about rust buckets.

[QUOTE=capcon;84169]Hey guys -
Yeah, another jobs thread. I know there are tons of threads already (just read a metric shitton about gulf OS jobs), but I’m looking for a little more specific advice. I just passed my 3/M AGT Oceans (7/7, makes me real special right?). I’m graduating from TMA in December. I was just wondering what are the craziest, most unique, adventurous jobs you guys had ever heard of? I’m the kind of guy who’d much rather be getting the shit knocked out of him in the North Sea or dodging RPGs in the gulf of Aden than sitting on my ass on a rig in the Gulf (dont get me wrong, i’d love to work for Transocean too), but it’s tough to hear about much other than the oil patch when you go to school an hour from Houston. Is it true that working overseas in dangerous areas gets you more money? I’m not worried about danger, i’m still young and invincible and don’t have a family or anything. I’d like to see the world too, call at different ports and maybe stay more than a day. I realize how unrealistic that is, but, you guys would probably know more about where to look than me!

Also looking for advice for a brand new 3rd mate, job market condition, pay (man i’ve heard some extravagant rumors), and some harassment from you crusty old guys who like to talk about pointed sticks. Thanks in advance-

P.S. i read that long post title “READ THIS FIRST”, just so you know.[/QUOTE]

If you’re looking for a crazy job, go work for that tug company that tows containers full of sand guarding the US subs as they pull into and out of port somewhere. I don’t recall where it is, but the sand is there to absorb an RPG. One of your requirements. I’d love to take the tanker down to Antarctica that delivers to the station down there, but that’s an AMO job, and, well, it’s not worth it.

Regardless of what c.captain says, yes, you can make more money working in “dangerous areas,” but it’s not worth the trouble. Also depends on who you work for I supose. I hear MSC pays more, but I was working on an MSC contract ship and we got $225 a month for “hazardous duty pay” over in the Persian Gulf. Works out to ~$1/hour. The only upside to that was you only had to work one day of the month to get it, so if you signed on on the last day of the month, and off on the first day of the month, there was an easy $550. Didn’t usually work out that way though. That job was also a good way to spend more than 10 hours in port - 5 days on average. Not that I’d go back to most of those places, but now I know for sure.

The job market is what you’ve been reading that it is. Deep sea isn’t great, oilfield work is growing. It’s been that way for a while. I work deep sea and like what I do. Pay? Anywhere from $50-100+k/year for 6 months (I’ve worked both ends of that spread).

Thanks guys. I read the “Rust Bucket” article a few years ago when I was looking for a ship to go on as a cadet. I ended up on an MSC oiler that just stuck around Norfolk, VA, which sucked but I didn’t really get a choice. I ended up short on days and so I walked into out cadet shipping guy’s office and told him “i want to go get seasick” so I ended up on an ATB in the gulf of alaska over christmas break, and I thought it was awesome. Just wasn’t too excited about the ATB life though - could have been because I was getting $28/day to hammer frozen spray for 5 hrs a day. That tanker out of Antarctica also sounds awesome - I’ve been researching that as well but, like you said, AMO - probably hard to get into also. Thanks for the suggestions though! Really appreciate it. Those are definitely the kind of things i’m looking for.

Shit cap ya bless me :wink:

[QUOTE=nazeal;84251]Shit cap ya bless me ;)[/QUOTE]

Alright, alright…you’re blessed already!

now getdafuckouttahere!