Cpt. Lee: How to get a 100 ton crewboat job?

<p class=“MsoNormal]
<span style=“font-family: Arial” size=“3” color=”#000000;]Hi Cpt Lee:</span>

<span style=“font-family: Arial” size=“3” color="#000000;] </span>
<p class=“MsoNormal]
<span style=“font-family: Arial” size=“3” color=”#000000;]After considering your last advice, lots of web searches, and additional thought I believe the GOM 100 ton crewboat route my be my best option. You mentioned that 100 ton and mates all make about the same. Given that, sounds like Id be ready to call it quits just when I was about to take a jump in pay. Besides, after I leave the gulf I’ll be living in a place where the lower tonnage experience would more useful.</span>

<p class=“MsoNormal]
<span style=“font-family: Arial” size=“3” color=”#000000;]So the question is: What words of wisdom would you have for a greenhorn wanting to get started on a crewboat? Things to do? Things to avoid? Large company or small? General steps to first captain? Also, what kind of reputation do crewboat skippers have as a group? My application is at my local REC. I should end up with a 100 ton NC, AB special. </span>

<p class=“MsoNormal]
<span style=“font-family: Arial” size=“3” color=”#000000;]Bob</span>

It has been 6 and 1/2 years since I have been on a crewboat. I am sure a lot has changed in that time. I don’t know if I really qualify as the resident crewboat expert, but I can give you my opinion. I think as a group crewboat captains are the most under appreciated of the bunch. There are a lot of cowboys out there. You run into some really good Captains and boat handlers that could just as easily be running a larger vessel, but are content and happy in what they are doing. Most of those guys just get comfortable. One thing is for sure you will take a beating on the crewboats. I hear you say crewboats and I think you are saying it because you think that is all that a 100 ton license covers. I think you should consider a Mini-Supply vessel. A mini-supply falls under the 100 ton for most vessels. They range in length of 96’ up to 200’, Yes 200’ 100 ton boat. Crazy. The Mini-supply boats are more comfortable and work at a slower pace and slower speed. Most have bow thruster and a lot of them are dynamically positioned. In my opinion Abdon Callais Offshore LLC (985-475-4622) has the nicest fleet of Mini supply boats. I don’t know much about the company, but I see their boats and I like them. Seacor Marine has a decent size fleet, but in my opinion they have some management and logistical support problems, but I would not rule them out if I needed a job. Every place has its share of plus’s and minus’s. Bordelon Marine Inc. (985-532-5333) has a small fleet of mini-supply boats. C&G, Barry Graham, Tidewater, Crewboats inc. CBI, all have decent size crewboat fleets. A little know gem of a company is New Iberia crewboats and Marine services, They match dollar for dollar on their 401K, after being there a year they pay for all of your medical (Blue Cross and Blue Shield), and have an annual bonus along with competetive pay. The nicest accomodations for crewboats has to go to McCall crewboats with Seacor. Chouest has a few position that come available and around 9 new crewboats coming out in the near future. They have solid support and management in place to handle Any problem that you can think of. The best advice I can give you is follow your gut and get with a company that will treat you right. Most of the above will fall under that category. Come down here and talk to them face to face if you want a good feel for what is in store for you. Hope this helps…Lee

Lee…NOW THAT was a resident expert answer. I’m just perplexed on your coffee duties at 25 knots in 8 foot seas (your skills are admirable)…I guess that’s what you mean by “will take a beating”.

Knowing everything that you’ve had to endure over the years; I suddenly feel guilty for requesting soy milk.

“feel guilty for requesting soy milk” …and I thought I was the only GOM mariner asking for this [img]http://gcaptain.com/maritime/forum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-cool.gif" border=“0” alt=“Cool” title=“Cool” />

<span style="font-size: 9.5pt; color: #062971; font-family: ‘Trebuchet MS’]Darn, ya’ll got soy milk down there too. Heck, I thought that was just a west coast thing along with five buck starbucks. Humm, thats a real stretch from red beans n rice, pickled quails eggs and a Dixie beer.

</span><span style="font-size: 9.5pt; color: #062971; font-family: ‘Trebuchet MS’]Cpt. Lee, Ive read about the 100 Mini Supply boats. 12 knots sounds a lot more peaceful that 25K. You gave me some excellent leads. That will save me a lot of time. Thanks. Just a couple more questions:</span><span style="font-size: 9.5pt; color: #062971; font-family: ‘Trebuchet MS’]1) When is a good time of the year to be knocking on doors?

</span><span style="font-size: 9.5pt; color: #062971; font-family: ‘Trebuchet MS’]2) Is it realistic to expect a mate or 2nd captain job considering zero wheelhouse experience or is it a tradition to prove myself as a deckhand first? </span>

<span style="font-size: 9.5pt; color: #062971; font-family: ‘Trebuchet MS’]Thanks, Bob</span>

Everyday of every month is a good time to knock on doors. It seems to me that with the smaller boats it is either feast or famine. You may have 3 extras one day and need two the next. Big demand for all mariners in the Gulf.

What should happen is they should put you on as an extra in the wheelhouse. That is what I would do if I worked in HR. I have seen it done. That way you can have constant attention and supervision for your sake and everyone involved. If you can get your license first that is. You may need some recency in the industry. 90 days most of the time. It is realistic that with in a hitch or 2 you would be pulling your own watch. A lot of A to B run time for new guys on the boats. Then the watch captain or mate helps set up at the structure and help train you with boat handling and company policies.

<strong>Guest:</strong>

[img]/maritime/forum/js/tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/images/smiley-kiss.gif" border=“0” alt=“Kiss” title=“Kiss” />HOW ARE YOU DOING?FINE I HOPE. I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW I COULD FINE SOMEONE THAT WORKS FOR THIS COM.