Cpt from the saga on deadliest catch

Someone states he was using bose noise canceling ear protection.

Put in your ear regular ear plugs and then use them over that. Almost no sound. What you hear is lower than a whisper

Now why havent boat companies studied this issue and try to fix the amount of noisein the engine room?

Somebody makes too much money if they are willing to wear those in an engine room…or doesn’t do any work in that engine room…

[QUOTE=Bamatug;138884]Someone states he was using bose noise canceling ear protection.

Put in your ear regular ear plugs and then use them over that. Almost no sound. What you hear is lower than a whisper

[B]Now why havent boat companies studied this issue and try to fix the amount of noisein the engine room[/B]?[/QUOTE]

Is this a serious question? Are you an engineer? Fix the noise in an engine room? My gen sets are 112 db at the turbo so to fix the noise in my engine room, we just get rid of the generators! Genius! I should be a consultant.

But really, if I stand aft of my main engines at speed, all I hear is generators, which are ahead of the mains.

If you read your OSHA literature, you will see that the noise levels you are exposed to in the engine room generally call for double hearing protection. You should be wearing ear plugs and headphones anyway. Doesn’t need to be the fancy ones.

• Updated - - -

Somebody makes too much money if they are willing to wear those in an engine room...or doesn't do any work in that engine room...

and this; I have hearing tests performed every year and have no noticeable change in hearing after 10 years in the engine room, because I use good hearing protection. I would spend $2000 on a set of noise cancelling headphones, IF they worked right in the engine room. They occasionally “glitch” and let the sound right on in, and im sure everyone knows how unpleasant it is to go into the ER and pull an ear plug out. How much money is it worth to have good hearing when youre 70? Most of the older engineers I know are deaf at several frequencies because they didn’t need no stupid good hearing protection.

I agree hearing protection is priceless. Ever seen a completely deaf CPT. No because its required of all seafaring mariners to hear. So it could be your career.

It’s much cheaper and just as effective to plug and muff. Especially when most companies supply both.

[QUOTE=gulf_engineer;138899]It’s much cheaper and just as effective to plug and muff. Especially when most companies supply both.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The noise cancelling stuff is cool, but like I said, when the have a problem and they blast you with full noise levels, its very unpleasant.

I have tinitis and only about 50% hearing in my left ear. I have always been pretty good about wearing hearing protection. I’ve always been a deck guy. I wish something like those fancy earmuffs had existed 30 years ago.

Just FYI, a push lawn mower is about 90 decibels. Fifteen minutes of exposure to 90 decibels has been proven to cause permanent hearing damage.

A third eng I worked with had a pair of these and liked them

I’m skeptical about them. I don’t know that I would want to rely on those unless they also protect with the noise-canx feature turned off.

I had a pair of Sennheiser noise-canx for music and they were stolen, so I replaced them with Audio-Technica studio phones. Neither of those are suitable for an engine room.

For that I use muffs, or muff and plug. I have slight tinnitus (not detectable by audiogram) and don’t want to risk it getting worse