Cool YouTube Videos

2 Likes

I have watched Chief Makoi’s videos, but generally, I don’t want to watch work when I’m not at work.

I did learn how to refinish furniture on youtube, though.

And shine shoes to a professional finish.

And bottle-feed kittens.

4 Likes

7 Likes

Looks like the Pyramid that was introduced on Transocean rigs in the 1990s. (Although not with the same text)

I watch a guy who feeds raccoons, too. Do I deduct more IQ points?

You just made my day. I totally forget about that plexiglass pyramid. :rofl::rofl:

Do you remember the training? You were supposed to take it down off the shelf and put it on the desk when someone came in to have a “pyramid session”.

2 Likes

The Rig Manager (before known as Toolpusher) on a rig I used to attend for rig moves said he found out what it was useful for;
As end stop in the book shelf with all the new Procedures and Manuals.

PS> Ex Reading and Bates rig. Many old R&B hands were not too thrilled with the new policy when they got absorbed into Transocean.

The Economics Explained channel made an interesting video about the Merchant Marine recently. A lot of mariners will probably know about most of the stuff in the video already, but it is interesting for people who don’t know much about shipping.

1 Like

I think what he is doing is awesome. It gives people outside your industry an idea of what it takes for civilization to function.

This one brought me untold holiday cheer.

Old School but fantastic.

1 Like

The turning gear was only used when warming through the engine before the ship sailed and for maintenance purposes. The engine did not require “starting”.
I sailed on three ships fitted with triple expansion steam engines and the soundtrack brought back memories. Under training as a young man I was on the plates for manoeuvring but I never was tempted to feel the bottom end bearings like the engineers. A good find.

1 Like

Various ships, including the nuclear-powered cargo ship Sevmorput, arriving in Utrenny LNG terminal construction site and unloading cargo onto the ice:

3 Likes

John,

You may have found this already, being that so many years have passed since you first posted about it, but I believe this is the video you were referring to.

1 Like

Here is an interesting vlog with some boat builders in Zanzibar:

This one recently popped up in my feed. It is wonderfully typical of its time, with all the requisite tropes. There’s also some pretty cool footage of the QE and QM in there.

That salvage job towards the end made me go “you sure about that?”

2 Likes

Thanks for these wonderfull videos.

1 Like

https://www.facebook.com/groups/allatsea/permalink/4910462158988318/