Cool YouTube Videos

We may want to comment on this he simplifies and mischaracterized the Jones act.

An interesting concept about large scale desalination that is carbon free.

1 Like

The planned Solar water desalination process was Interesting, including the ideas about industrial use of the brine. Carbon free and low cost of production, but high initial construction costs

If all this work it COULD be a game changer for many countries with large arid land areas and ample sun heat year around,

Also interesting to hear about the existing Saudi desalination project, which started in a big way the mid-1970s, the first stage of which was to gather the associated gas from the onshore oil fields and pipe it to both coasts, where the desalination plants were built.

I was involved in a small way, (from 1975-78) as Warranty Surveyor during loading and lashing of the heavy components, which was made in Japan.
Most of the shipment was on small HLV belonging to West India Line, Hq. in West Palm Beach, Fl. Here is a typical ship of the type, the Inagua:Light:

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=1480767
Most of the cargo were pressure vessels from 650-950 m.t. All wire lashing as no welded seafastenings were allowed, since the pressure vessels had been destressed.
No pre-engineered or calculated lashing plan, but some “rules of thumb” for number of transvers and longitudinal wire lashings, based on cargo weight.

The craziest single loading was two Surge Bullets, each of 950 m.t. loaded in Tsu.
Their were loaded by two cranes in tandem lift. The Fwrd. one by warping the ship under the load to fit it between the two deck houses, with a clearing of abt. 4" on either side. One was sticking into the bow visor and the other overhanging the stern by a few feet. Distance between them were 6".
Lashing took 3 days and was done by our regular lashing gang at Yokkaichi.

Some of these pressure vessels were transported quite far into the desert on a 64-axel multi-modular heavy transporter that was specially modified with large tires for off-road transport in the desert and hydraulic leveling. It was named “Little Big John”.
Watching it approaching the wharf in 13th gear ahead, blowing black smoke and making all of 5 mile/hr. was quite a sight.
Watching the German drivers moving it into place under the cargo with a few inches clearing to the cribbings on either side was nail biting, every time.

We also loaded some large barges that was built in Japan and was heading to Europe on delivery voyages. These were mainly loaded with modules for the desalination plants, one on PG side and one on the Red Sea coast.

The modules varied from 120 to 1200 m.t. and was designed for stationary loads only. For a large boiler with two heavy top drums, we ended up having to build a frame for seafastening, with nearly as much steel weight as the weight of the boiler structure itself.

Interesting jobs for a relatively young and inexperienced Warranty Surveyor at the time. (I started in 1974)
None of all this would have been possible today, but those were the days.

PS> Pre-electronic pix for me. I did take a lot of pictures, but paper copies mostly attached to reports. No scans found in my files.

2 Likes

Problem solver:
https://fb.watch/902r3FrOBk/

2 Likes

They can surely try and make it work but imo it’s going to fail.

The fundamental reason being that they still think in terms of strip mining resources to feed a city. They don’t consider they have all the water they need in their own country without having to take it from somewhere else. That region was the most fertile in the world and it was turned into a desert because they farmed it to exhaustion and cut down every tree in sight. They still think in the terms of old Mesopotamia, and exactly like all the civilizations that broke down and died, they too will eat dust.

There is one good project in Saudi Arabia with positive results because it involves Permaculture and engages the local population in Al Baydha. If Saudi Arabia wants to have more water and regreen its land the way it used to be green, that’s the way to do it… Not with megacities, but with reviving their wadis and helping local people stay on their ancestral lands using methods mimicking Nature instead of destroying it.

But they are mentally incapable of changing because they don’t live the concept of Regeneration.

1 Like

There must be an easier way:

2 Likes
5 Likes

Nice video. Good to see her make the effort to put out great meals for the crew. A keeper.

2 Likes

Not on YouTube, but funny nevertheless:

2 Likes

Smart rescue:

Russia seems to be capitalizing on the melting Arctic on a very large scale. Going so far as to maybe even have nuclear powered ice breakers.

Russia has had nuclear icebreakers for decades

1 Like

The newest one is on her maiden voyage now:

She will reach Murmansk in a couple of days:

2 Likes

Quite a ship!!!

Impressive tovarishch

A list of them here:

A russian friend of mine once told me you can spot men of icebreakers 'cause they glow in the dark…

2 Likes

A blast from the past.

2 Likes

Not from YouTube, but anyhow: