Continuity for Tankerman endorsement

I just received a call from NMC. During the application process, I learned the CG was removing my Tankerman endorsement for lack of use, like so many other people. Apparently, now it will be placed on my MMC in continuity status, and can be reactivated by taking an open book exam. Interesting.

On a side note, I guess the 30 days from application to issuance is out the window. I passed my C/M exam on Nov 23rd. Last thursday I called, and my evaluator received my file on Friday. I watched the examiner from the REC send the email. Evaluator claims he was “having trouble with his inbox”. This is the same guy that admitted he had not checked his mailbox for “more than 2 weeks” after I had overnighted something to him during the evaluation process. So today I was told I should receive my MMC in 1-2 more weeks. So in my case, 3-4 weeks just to print the darn thing. And I lose a job as of Wednesday. So it goes…thinking happy thoughts.

This is bull$hit the way the CG is handling this. I earned my Tankerman grade A&alg in 1972. When I renewed my license and Z-card in '99, my tankerman endorsement was pulled for lack of recency. In 2002 I took the PIC class, worked over a few days for some of my loads and discharges just to get the endorsement.

For my renewal coming up, it might be easier to take the open-book test than ask the mate to find DOIs with my name on them.

[QUOTE=injunear;22332]This is bull$hit the way the CG is handling this. [/QUOTE]

Couldn’t agree more. I was very surprised when NMC called today. I had to fill out the Continuity Form from the website and email it to them, and specify it was for Tankerman PIC-DL only. It would appear the policy changed between the time my application was approved and the time I tested. The question is: what other endorsements are they gonna do this with? And who is making these policy changes?

The requirement is not new, it has been around since 1997. See 46 CFR 13.120. Note that an open-book test alone is inadequate. You need transfers or a course:
[B][I]§ 13.120 Renewal of tankerman endorsement.[/I][/B]

[I]An applicant wishing to renew a tankerman’s endorsement shall meet the requirements of §10.227 of this chapter for renewing an MMC and prove either participation in at least two transfers within the last 5 years in accordance with §13.127(b) or completion of an approved course as described in §10.304.[/I]

The open-book exam comes from the refrence to 46 CFR 10.227, but you also need the transfers or course.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;22362]The requirement is not new, it has been around since 1997. See 46 CFR 13.120. Note that an open-book test alone is inadequate. You need transfers or a course:
[B][I]§ 13.120 Renewal of tankerman endorsement.[/I][/B]

[I]An applicant wishing to renew a tankerman’s endorsement shall meet the requirements of §10.227 of this chapter for renewing an MMC and prove either participation in at least two transfers within the last 5 years in accordance with §13.127(b) or completion of an approved course as described in §10.304.[/I]

The open-book exam comes from the refrence to 46 CFR 10.227, but you also need the transfers or course.[/QUOTE]

That makes sense, but contradicts what NMC told me. I have no doubt you are correct.

Congratulations on making Chief Mate, but did I understand you correctly, that you will lose your job too?

Maybe contract evaluator can shed some light on this, do the people back in NMC understand that jobs are on the line, in the form of paper work that crosses their desk? That wasn’t meant to be a fliipant question, I’m just curious as if that has ever been explained, or has it been assumed or possibly ignored…

Yep, I do lose a job that I was due to fly out to this weekend if I had my license in time. I will likely get back in the rotation sometime early next year, but without the promotion I was looking at. I finished testing on Nov. 23rd. As I said earlier, my evaluator didn’t even look at my file until 11 days after I passed, and that was only because I called and spoke to a supervisor. I got an email today saying it was printed and mailed, but a few days too late. I feel I was just met with apathy and laziness on the part of my evaluator. This is my 10th upgrade or renewal, and it was by far the worst experience I’ve ever had. I’m glad some people are getting their’s printed quickly. Shows some evaluators are actually capable of doing their job.