Container Fires

I cannot help but laugh about a ship named Flaminia catching fire.

For what it is worth the ship was sponsored (christened) by Flaminia Manghina.

1 Like

Removal of the wreck of X-press Pearl is progressing:

Container fire happen while in stack areas too:

It happens everywhere:

One more container fire:

I’m a bit late on this one, but something is off here - why would a US shipper be shipping Lithium-ion batteries from the US to China? The only thing I can think of is shipping “dead” batteries for recycling – which might account for somewhat more negligent packaging than normal. Good on the USCG & Port Authority for tagging the shipper on this.

1 Like

Are changes in the air?:

When powerful insurers speak IMO listens!!
There MAY be tougher rules coming in a few years time, both for container and car carriers.

Could this be a solution, at least for Lithium batteries??:

It doesn’t stop shippers from mis declaring other dangerous cargo though:

The SeaNews.com article is pretty much information-free. I fail to understand how some sort of “smart” container is going to change the hazard of shipping Lithium batteries. If the batteries are OK, there’s nothing to do, and if a battery explodes or catches fire, about all it can do is identify which container is going to burn your vessel down.
MSC raising the fee for mis-declared cargo might be a step in the right direction, but it’s really just a per-container fee for getting caught. As long as there are no long-term consequences to the shipper, this is going to be regarded as a long-odds possible small increase in cost of doing business.
I don’t see any way this is going to be addressed outside of some sort of inspection protocol for containers. How about if you want to ship a container, you have to get the contents certified by some sort of outside agency/service that the contents match the bill of lading. Having the authority to issue these certifications would be a money-maker, but with SERIOUS consequences for failure - as in financial oblivion and banned from the business.

This time the explosion happened at a depot, not onboard a ship.
The death toll was even greater though:

Misdeclared cargo to save freight costs again?

Yet another container fire reported:

1 Like

Safety Considerations for Ship Operators Related to Risk-Based Stowage of Dangerous Goods on Containerships (cinsnet.com)

Above deck containers are not covered by fix FiFi system. Here may be a solution:

Or al least CMA CGM appears to think so:

1 Like

1 Like

Reports on the X-Press Pearl salvage operation:

Now the last remnants of the wreck is ready to depart from Sri Lanka:

It is not likely to stop the scourge of fires caused by badly (falsely?) documented, badly stowed or packaged goods in the containers being ships by sea and by land, but at least it is something being done by the major stakeholders:

1 Like