Considering joining out of college

I’m considering joining MSC out of college and was wondering what positions would be available to me. I graduate Spring 2014 and my major is in Electrical engineering technology and I plan on taking the FE test in April. I was talking to somebody who was in MSC earlier today and he told me, after I told him I was considering joining out of college, that I’d want to apply for MSC. He said that I’d most likely have to start as a Wiper and my degree and a FE license would mean nothing.

Questions:

1. Is he right in saying that my degree means nothing?
  2. Where can I go to get more information on this?

Check out sealiftcommand.com. Your degree should help you to get hired in as a 2nd Electrician. I would try that and avoid coming in as a Wiper or SU. The $$$ at MSC is great and even the SUs who sweep the deck and make coffee are making more that most of your shore side engineering buddies who you graduated with. Sail as 2nd Elec for a while and then go sit for your 3rd AE license.

[QUOTE=hougigo;121513]I’m considering joining MSC out of college and was wondering what positions would be available to me. I graduate Spring 2014 and my major is in Electrical engineering technology and I plan on taking the FE test in April. I was talking to somebody who was in MSC earlier today and he told me, after I told him I was considering joining out of college, that I’d want to apply for MSC. He said that I’d most likely have to start as a Wiper and my degree and a FE license would mean nothing.

Questions:

2. Where can I go to get more information on this?[/QUOTE]

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&SID=6ca83dc3f2ccdacbcaaab047cfca9bd1&rgn=div8&view=text&node=46:1.0.1.2.11.5.7.9&idno=46

DON’T go to work for MSC!

MSC says they is be the “employer of choice”. That is what they sold me on. I like MSC because of all the free stuff we get. If it’s free it is for me.

MSC is a good way to get sea time since the best case scenario (when considering time off) is 4 on 1 off, but you can stay out to sea as long as you want before requesting leave. It’s been said that you can count on making 2-3 times what the listed base pay is. For me as a 3rd Assistant Engineer, I’ve found that it is a hair under 2 times for. There are some wipers/SUs/ABs that make an ungodly amount to the point that they have to be sitting on their asses and writing that in as overtime.

Have you ever been out to sea?

I’m not sure what UnRepKing is talking about with all of his free stuff. I haven’t seen anything that a normal company won’t give to its employees: training safety equipment, boots, and coveralls. Maybe he is talking about Per Diem and you get paid your base salary when sitting in the pool or during training. If you read some of his past posts about MSC, he talks so greatly about MSC that it seems unnatural. All I’m saying, is that MSC is different than the average shipping company. It has its highs and its lows. Just figure out what you want to do, do some searching on the forums (Using Google is much better than the forum’s built-in search, try Googling site:gcaptain.com/forum MSC), and make your own choice.

1 Like

He’s right. Msc does not care about a degree, only a license and a warm body to send somewhere. While the degree may serve you well after employment in dazzling someone with your knowledge and abilities, but don’t expect msc to roll out any red carpets. You would be employed as an entry rating ( either engine or supply). After working at the entry rating you may indeed be afforded the ability to work your way up. With Msc you can go as far as you want. Warning! There will be a lot of sea time involved… Know what your getting into.

Hey does msc hire entry level deckhands or do you have to at least be an ab? Also how would one go about properly getting on? I have seen the app it’s very long and the main office is in Va.should I fax the app or take it in person I live in florida any suggestions?

I’d just fax it, it’s going to the same pile anyway. Going there in person won’t win you any points, you’ll just waste money on the trip. They employ what they need when the need it. So, you could hit it right when they needed ABs and get a job. I think these days most get an entry rating job and move up when possible.

Oh ok well thanks for the response also is the government shutdown effecting them directly? Reason asking trying to figure should I send my application while it’s going on or not.

[QUOTE=jj850;122494]Oh ok well thanks for the response also is the government shutdown effecting them directly? Reason asking trying to figure should I send my application while it’s going on or not.[/QUOTE]

Most fax machines at MSC empty into shredders and trash cans.

[QUOTE=“hougigo;121513”]I’m considering joining MSC out of college and was wondering what positions would be available to me. I graduate Spring 2014 and my major is in Electrical engineering technology and I plan on taking the FE test in April. I was talking to somebody who was in MSC earlier today and he told me, after I told him I was considering joining out of college, that I’d want to apply for MSC. He said that I’d most likely have to start as a Wiper and my degree and a FE license would mean nothing.

Questions:

2. Where can I go to get more information on this?[/QUOTE]

Your degree may be meaningless to MSC but it could allow you to upgrade to 3rd AE with significantly less sea time than normal (I think 180 days).

[QUOTE=DeadQuarters;122506]Most fax machines at MSC empty into shredders and trash cans.[/QUOTE]

I know, right? I sent in an application that had my RFPEW assessment certificate included, (the NMC was processing the upgrade), and because I didn’t yet have the page affixed in my book they shitcanned the whole application and sent a rejection letter. I had to resend (actually, hand carried it over) when I got the page. They must use semi’s to haul off the shredded paper to the recycler.

Most of the hiring personnel are contractors.

My deck officer detailer removed the ringer from her phone.

[QUOTE=Xmsccapt(ret);122479]He’s right. Msc does not care about a degree, only a license and a warm body to send somewhere. While the degree may serve you well after employment in dazzling someone with your knowledge and abilities, but don’t expect msc to roll out any red carpets. You would be employed as an entry rating ( either engine or supply). After working at the entry rating you may indeed be afforded the ability to work your way up. With Msc you can go as far as you want. Warning! There will be a lot of sea time involved… Know what your getting into.[/QUOTE]
I
won’t say I know exactly what I am getting into (Father, friends and numerous uncles part of MSC), but I’m aware of the seatime and being out a lot. At the time, I don’t mind that and I’m looking forward to it.
I know I can’t do anything without seatime, so was wondering if seatime from the military will count for them. I have a 2 year commitment to the navy and I’m going to look to get as much sea time as possible in hopes it’ll help me in MSC.

Thanks for the confirmation. I didn’t expect them to roll out a red carpet, but was wondering if it would help instead of starting out as a wiper like my friend who just had a HS education ( I say this trying not to be derogatory)

Either way, I have a 2 year Navy commitment now and hope the sea time can translate over to there. My dad said it wouldn’t make a huge difference, but he was in the Navy for 22 years