Coming out of the roach hotel/continuity

License expired 2019, received continuity cert 2/2020. Continuity cert has 200 Ton NC, FH, Wiper, OS. Had Radar, OICNW, Security awareness, RFPNW, Vessel Personal with Designated Security Duties, Basic, 500 Ton (GRT).

Read through the posts on the National vs International and coming out of continuity to take a job on a private vessel working inside the boundary. I’m wondering the quickest way to get MMC back active.

#1: Hire a consultant, recommendations please

#2: Get 719b & 719k drug test, together and email to REC

Or

#3: Get 719b, 719k & drug test together and make an appointment with a REC (Charleston or Memphis) if this is still a possibility?

Background I was on 5th issue when oilfield bust came and got layed off, was 58 years old and decided to go inland workamping out west, southern man that’s been all over the worlds waters but hadn’t seen his country, took early social security last year and todays prices on everything jut too much of a crunch. Got a call yesterday from a previous employer to come back with a good pay offer, explained it might be 6-8 weeks before my license was active again they’re ok with that but trying to figure out fastest way to go about it.

thanks

Call Andy Hammond and pay him whatever he wants. He’ll get you all straightened out. It’s worth it. Link below.

http://marinerhelp.com

1 Like

Did you go to continuity within one year of your MMC expiring? I assume so or you could not have gone to continuity How much sea time do you have in the past 5 years? It will affect what you have to do to restore everything. Also, did you take Leadership and Teamworking before continuity?

1 Like

Thanks I did indeed take continuity within a year of expiration and got the diploma (old style license diploma suitable for framing).
I did not take leadership and teamwork before continuity. Do I need those to just renew the 200NC only? I’m 63 and not going to Pesue the Radar, STCW& others only the 200 Ton NC.
I have 400 eight hour days in the last 5 years, all on a 60 ton pilot vessel on the Mississippi River, port of Vicksburg, will that be inland still count towards my needed sea service in the past 5 years?
Thank you

All I had :point_up_2:

You do not need courses if you are not renewing/restoring STCW or radar. Also, you shouldn’t need a take home exam if you have at least one year of service in the past 5 years. Make sure your application is clear about what you do and do not want to restore/renew. You may need to renew your TWIC.

3 Likes

Thank you,

Been a few months but thought I’d update my results. I hired a consultant and we got a horrific evaluator; > > Meghan who is a Coast Guard member and an incompetent menace to mariner processing. Moreover, she has no dedication to the needs of the mariner, the industry, and his family. She is at best a menace and needs to be reassigned << on my case who vehemently argued against my sea time on an uninspected ferry vessel that that was reclassified as an inspected towing vessel during the time I was claiming. This person would not consider my time previous to reclassification on vessel even with documentation! The sad part is she accepted the 100 days she’d shorted me on my own 14’ vessel. I was befuddled by her reasoning to say the least.

I guess I was lucky in the fact it only took 3 months to come out of the “roach motel”, as jdcavo calls it. Now I’m in the process of trying to get my Radar endorsement back and confused about what it will take? Expired in 2019, when I look at the checklist I see too many “OR’s”. Anyone renewed in in a similar situation? I would have had the days if meghan wouldn’t have been so staunchly stupid :man_facepalming:. Obviously I’m trying to get out of having to go recertification route, time and money both a big hindrance to that route currently.

Standing by

Unless you have one year of sea time using radar in the past five years, you need to take a course. Either a original or a “refresher” or “re-certification” course. See 46 CFR 11.480(d), (f), and (g). and CG-MMC Policy Letter 03-18. If you have the one year, but it’s not on any of the vessel types listed in the policy letter, you will need to provide evidence of radar use.

1 Like

Thanks for clearing this up for me, I’ve got to learn getting old doesn’t mean I got to fight all the changes.

I don’t know if Meghan is my evaluator but I am a little befuddled as to the letter I got from the CG on my journey out from the roach hotel. They are requiring I provide evidence of having completed a course for a credential for which I did not apply. I am curious to hear their rationale for that one when I ask for clarification.

1 Like

Any answer you get here, right or wrong, is not going to help you resolve this. If you disagree with the evaluator, ask for reconsideration (first step of appeal process). If you disagree d with the decision after reconsideration, appeal to HQ.

3 Likes