Coastal Transportation's new build 240' Coastal Standard

[QUOTE=salt’n steel;178802]Got it- done[/QUOTE]

We know who you mean.

I forgot about the widening.

I think SeaTrader was sold to Trident as soon as Northland sold out to Adsteam. A few years later they bought Northland back.

C.captain is right. I got the two Sunmar Sea and Sky reversed.

Be sure to cup his balls Tugger!

[QUOTE=RubberRhib888;178824]Be sure to cup his balls Tugger![/QUOTE]

does anybody really give two shits now?

Says the ultimate trash talker on this forum.

Where is uniblab to jump in and throw a couple of jabs?

[QUOTE=RubberRhib888;178829]Says the ultimate trash talker on this forum.[/QUOTE]

yeah, yeah , yeah…and what’s your point?

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=RubberRhib888;178830]Where is uniblab to jump in and throw a couple of jabs?[/QUOTE]

bring on the Blab…I am ready for a whole new round of bashing him over the head!

Hahahaha Cap! I’m just fuckin around. I don’t have a dog in this fight.

[QUOTE=c.captain;178789] But of course, Peter Strong has had some rattletraps too like the COASTAL NOMAD.[/QUOTE]

As well as the COASTAL SEA. I sailed as relief chief eng on that thing way back when. I could lift the carpet in my stateroom, move a piece of thin plywood aside and look into the engine room.

Loved the old MAK open valve gear engine though.

[QUOTE=c.captain;178789]

yeah, that fleet was quite a piece of work. With the exception of the SALLY J, BLUEFIN and REDFIN all were old Navy YO bunker tankers which were never intended to work outside of a sheltered harbor yet alone cross the Gulf of Alaska in the winter. They were tiny and lacking in everything. Are any still around? Vessels like the CAPELIN, BOWFIN, MARLIN, etc… Rattletrap old tubs all of em! But of course, Peter Strong has had some rattletraps too like the COASTAL NOMAD.[/QUOTE]

Isn’t one of the crab boats featured in that crabber show an old YO bunker tanker, too? I know that there are some strange vessels and regulations up there, but my own experience in the Great Northwest goes about as far north as Anacortes. . . .

I believe the WIZARD is a YO.

I saw one of the old Western Pioneer boats somewhere a couple years ago, maybe up the Duwamish.

She is & was reconfigured for fishing.

Caplin is up at independent metals on the duwamish headed for scrap here soon supposedly. We towed coastal merchant and bowfin to ensanada, mx for scrap this last year. Slowly those old rides are disappearing into razor blades.

“…the men identified a new way of loading cargoes on and off a refrigerated ship: the sideport loading system built by TTS of Bergen (Norway). This loading system is based on the premise that the best way to load or discharge palletized cargo is by the shortest possible path – through the ship’s side. The system has been well tested in northern Europe on the Baltic Sea and Scandinavian coast but is new to North America.”

I couldn’t let this one pass. Side-port loading of palletized cargo was widely used in the 1950’s by many American shipping lines. United Fruit’s operations was virtually all side-port palletized cargo up until they were re-flagged foreign at the end of the Vietnam war. Side-port loading of palletized cargo was considered as equal to containerization as far as speed and efficiency of handling and superior with regard to having much less broken stowage thereby increasing the revenue for a ship of a given size. In the end containerization won out due to preventing pilfering. So Coastal is employing cutting edge Scandinavian technology that America (along with others)used over fifty years ago!

There is little that is new under the Sun. On the Seattle waterfront there is the old Pacific Producer, presently a fish processor, which began life as the Denali, a newsprint carrier running between Vancouver BC and Seattle in the 1940’s. It had a side port elevator to load and unload large rolls of newsprint by forklift. That elevator was a conventional wire rope lift unit, not much different than a building elevator. Interestingly that vessel had her own career as an Aleutian freighter in the 1980’s, though she used yard-and-stay gear to load the cargo,
I believe by “system” the Pacific Maritime author is referring to the TTS-patented style of elevator, which is a different sort of animal than a wire house unit, though of course a sideport is a side port. Here is an interesting link to see how the TTS system works.

As others have pointed out the TTS system is used on over 150 vessels outside of the U.S. An error I do see in the article was evident after watching the video. The video shows a vessel with the TTS system operating between Canada and Europe. Hence the article is in error about the system not having been used in North America before. So , yes, nothing new under the Sun. Just refinements.
It would be interesting to see some photos of the United Fruit sideport system in action (interesting, that is for all 5 or 6 of us cargo gear junkies out of the 1000’s that read this …)

Damn finally a topic I know a lot about, worked with this system as and AB. I will not write a little dissertation on this if nobody cares, so if you have any questions then just ask. Then I’ll try to answer it.

The Coastal Standard is back in Ballard. Anybody got scuttlebutt on her first Alaska trip?

Two voyages under her belt. Cargo handling system working as advertised. Can work cargo about 3 times faster than yard-and-stay cargo gear. Not as flexible in terms of the variety of cargo that can be carried, but that was expected. Main plant and auxiliary systems work fine. Roll period too fast for crew comfort, so installing bilge keels and flume tank system in August to give her a more comfortable roll period. Electric-driven omnithrusters not putting enough HP to water to match amps going in. Schottel is diagnosing Wetter deck than anticipated, but because she is 25% faster than the other boats in the fleet she can afford to hide out more between storms, and move across when weather moderates. Big consideration for that route.

[QUOTE=c.captain;178630]WHAT did I do? Nothing wrong with the new generation OSVs in the GoM? Big, well built with excellent engineering plus with the shipyards all not hurting getting the work done in LA would be lower than at Dakota Creek. I have drawn plans to convert the AKIRA CHOUEST to a fisheries mothership for a NW Fisheries Company with the plan to convert her in LA however Chouest found work for her and took the vessel off the market.

[/QUOTE]

Interesting idea, IVO the fact Akira used to be the Margaret and was a geared Break-bulk/container vessel.

Last I heard, Akira was getting re-engined but I can still see the upper house and bow section sitting on the ground over at Chouest’s NA shipyard when I drive over the bridge. Is it gone for good?

[QUOTE=c.captain;178630]WHAT did I do? Nothing wrong with the new generation OSVs in the GoM? Big, well built with excellent engineering plus with the shipyards all not hurting getting the work done in LA would be lower than at Dakota Creek. I have drawn plans to convert the AKIRA CHOUEST to a fisheries mothership for a NW Fisheries Company with the plan to convert her in LA however Chouest found work for her and took the vessel off the market.

[/QUOTE]

I don’t think I replied to this earlier but I believe Chouest actually sold the Akira.