Coastal Transportation's new build 240' Coastal Standard

Not that I give a shit, I guess I’m the only one that was utterly oblivious. I always mused that c.captain was a hawsepiper.
I personally have no disdain for any academy folk. The character makes the person not the background.

Indeed sir and I have done my utmost to prove myself to be a seaman and a mariner first and not tell my shipmates where I was from (sometimes I just say “New York” which is the truth when it isn’t). I have never once wore my class ring which was in fact stolen sometime in the 1990’s when a storage locker I had was ransacked. I have but one classmate who I remain in contact with and it is only through this forum. He too was one who was a mariner first and not a marionette like so many others who go to KP.

Now I am so old that my maritime academy days are so far in the past that only my ability, knowledge and experience matter and not where I did or did not go to school.

If I had it all to do over again now, I’d have gone to Faber

Do you murder puppies or something at KP?

I guess this answers why all the shows on Discovery have such much drama.

I had always thought he was a hawsepiper too. I’m also not sure what the big deal is about him being outed as a KP kid (:D) it’s not like I or many others know his name or even care.

Wow, I thought he was a hawsepiper as well. We’ve all read an astounding amount of pure shit talking about that institute from Ccaptain over the years. Frankly, I’m shocked that he is a KPer given the trash talked to anyone from that school.

[QUOTE=RubberRhib888;178739]Frankly, I’m shocked that he is a KPer given the trash talked to anyone from that school.[/QUOTE]

Why the shock? He demonstrates an ethic that would serve many others well.

I wish more KP grads had the balls to speak out about what a waste of taxpayer money KP represents. Its time and purpose have long since passed. It does nothing for the nation other than promote its own costly existence which is mostly to patch the crumbling facade of MARAD as an agency intended to promote and defend the American merchant marine.

[QUOTE=Steamer;178757]Why the shock? He demonstrates an ethic that would serve many others well.

I wish more KP grads had the balls to speak out about what a waste of taxpayer money KP represents. Its time and purpose have long since passed. It does nothing for the nation other than promote its own costly existence which is mostly to patch the crumbling facade of MARAD as an agency intended to promote and defend the American merchant marine.[/QUOTE]

and even with this revelation, I will never cease in my calls for that “institution” to be closed forever. My loathing for the place is based on sound logic that what it purports to provide the nation is in fact an argument which cannot be supported in 2016. It was not needed in the 1980’s when I was there and three decades have only shown it is not needed today. At over $400k per graduate, they are the most expensive maritime school on the entire planet! If the USA was still the global maritime powerhouse it once was when KP was at its heyday then that expense just might be supportable but with the USA now being a backwater of maritime endeavor there is absolutely no point in the US taxpayers to continue footing the bloated bill to maintain such a PHUCKING PHARCICAL PHACADE!

[QUOTE=RubberRhib888;178739]Wow, I thought he was a hawsepiper as well. We’ve all read an astounding amount of pure shit talking about that institute from (him) over the years. Frankly, I’m shocked that he is a KPer given the trash talked to anyone from that school.[/QUOTE]

The vehemence of his rants against the KP marching band suggested that he must have been a member of it that got the boot. But that just couldn’t be. I was really surprised when someone told me a couple years ago that he actually did go to KP.

I have friends who are KPers. I have friends who’s children and grandchildren are KPers. I have friends who have taught there. If anyone can get into KP and wants to go, they should. It’s a great opportunity.

He posted pictures of himself as a small boy on his father’s commercial fishing boat. He comes from a family of fishermen and Mariners. He posted pictures of the old wooden Miki tugs in Seattle that his father ran in the early 80’s. He has put his time in on the Bering Sea fishing grounds, in the winter.

As far as I am concerned, he was a fisherman (that is a strong compliment) and a hawespiper (also a compliment) before he went to KP.

I consider myself a master of disguise but grew tired of wearing all the makeup

I have friends who are KPers. I have friends who’s children and grandchildren are KPers. I have friends who have taught there. If anyone can get into KP and wants to go, they should. It’s a great opportunity.

the place remains a hideous waste of taxpayer money

He posted pictures of himself as a small boy on his father’s commercial fishing boat. He comes from a family of fishermen and Mariners. He posted pictures of the old wooden Miki tugs in Seattle that his father ran in the early 80’s. He has put his time in on the Bering Sea fishing grounds, in the winter.

yes, I come from forefathers who lived true hardship at sea. Backbreaking work for low pay was their lot. What hardship I have faced in my day is only a pale token when compared to theirs although some of that weather out on the West Coast in winter or in the Gulf of Alaska and the Bering Sea was nothing to sneeze at but generally I have been fortunate and was young and flexible back in those days so saw it all as a great adventure. I am lucky nothing truly bad befell my ships in those days and I am here to write today. My very first command was a crusty old utility boat named the WAYNE M which I brought from Panama to Seattle during the winter of 1988. How we made it without breaking down or sinking out there in those seas is a miracle. We were down to one generator and one steering pump most of the way north of Pt Arena. As is was, after we tied up at Pier 27 and shut her down, one of the main engines was not able to be restarted. What a miserable time that was!

As far as I am concerned, he was a fisherman (that is a strong compliment) and a hawespiper (also a compliment) before he went to KP.

That is probably the highest compliment I have ever been paid and with much self effacing shoe scraping I humbly thanks yee.

[QUOTE=freighterman;178661]FYI: There is only [U]ONE[/U] company that operates ATA fish tenders, of which there are a grand total of 5 ships, employing 64 mariners. It is a trade consisting of a [U]single[/U] company. There has been only one ATA fish tender company since 2005…

What about the Eastern Wind? Sea Trader? Those are stick boats too, are they also ATA boats? Who owns them? Icicle?

[QUOTE=freighterman;178661]FYI: There is only [U]ONE[/U] company that operates ATA fish tenders, of which there are a grand total of 5 ships, employing 64 mariners. It is a trade consisting of a [U]single[/U] company. There has been only one ATA fish tender company since 2005…[/QUOTE]

What about the Eastern Wind? Sea Trader? Those are stick boats running around the Aleutians/Peninsula/Pribilofs. Are they also ATA boats? Who owns them? Icicle?

Eastern Wind and Sea Trader are owned by Trident Seafoods. They carry only in-house cargo for Trident. So those two vessels are fish tenders but not ATA fish tenders. ATA rules apply only to common carriers (i.e. companies that carry cargo for hire for anyone) to or from any port described in the ATA regulations.

[QUOTE=tradsailor;178771]What about the Eastern Wind? Sea Trader? Those are stick boats running around the Aleutians/Peninsula/Pribilofs. Are they also ATA boats? Who owns them? Icicle?[/QUOTE]

Those belong to Trident Seafoods. I have always assumed that they are ATA boats, but in a technical sense maybe not. They do not carry freight for hire; they only carry goods that belong to their owner. So maybe they are just considered fish processing vessels and not ATA vessels.

There are many small cannery tenders that are owned or chartered in that carry fish. They also carry some other freight.

When Northland owned Sea Trader she was inspected for freight under subchapter I. Originally, she was one of the Ocean Marine Service AHTS vessels. I cannot remember the original name. Northland lengthened her, and built her up.

I believe that Coastal bought the Sunmar boats: Sunmar Sea and Sunmar Sky. I think they retired the Coastal Sea ,ex-Sunmar Sea, at the end of 2014. And the Sally J.

The Sunmar Sea was built in The Netherlands, but seized by the US Government for drugs, and the auctioned off to Norwegian owners with Norwegian-American frontmen, thus becoming a Jones Act qualified and US fishery qualified “American” vessel. She was “rebuilt” in Korea. I’m having a senior moment about the history of the Sunmar Sky.

There were other ATA vessels, or at least cannery owned fishing vessels that carried freight.

It was the seafood companies with remote Alasja plants and the small communities in Alaska that lobbied for the ATA. Admittedly, it was a big legislative achievement for Seattle lawyer Max Soriano, who owned Western Pioneer.

Interesting about Sea Trader- I was a mate on her in the early 90’s. Went all the way to Northern Japan for one run - crew did all the lashing and unlashing. Saw a picture at Conrad Deepwater shipyard in Amelia of her with a nice boom arrangement which was not there when I was on it. She was indeed a AHTS- Ocean Ranger /Marlin or Ocean Fin (I think there were 4 of that class). I spotted what looked like one in Fourchon about a year ago. Someone said they were built with steel plate from decommissioned navy ships. Not sure if that’s true. I do remember old engines.

ALCOs as I recall.

Jim Haugen couldn’t make hauling reefer containers from Alaska to Hokkaido on Sea Trader work. The fuel cost ate him alive and she just couldn’t carry enough?

[QUOTE=tugsailor;178773]Those belong to Trident Seafoods. I have always assumed that they are ATA boats, but in a technical sense maybe not. They do not carry freight for hire; they only carry goods that belong to their owner. So maybe they are just considered fish processing vessels and not ATA vessels.

When Northland owned Sea Trader she was inspected for freight under subchapter I. Originally, she was one of the Ocean Marine Service AHTS vessels. I cannot remember the original name. Northland lengthened her, and built her up.[/QUOTE]

regardless of whether they carry as a common carrier or not, those two vessels are still operated under the ATA I believe. I just checked the USCG PSIX for the SEA TRADER and she is listed as 495gt (regulatory tonnage)…should she go foreign, she would have to trade with her convention tonnage which is 3485gt and thus need to be a SOLAS Cargo vessel.

I believe that Coastal bought the Sunmar boats: Sunmar Sea and Sunmar Sky. I think they retired the Coastal Sea ,ex-Sunmar Sea, at the end of 2014. And the Sally J.

The Sunmar Sea was built in The Netherlands, but seized by the US Government for drugs, and the auctioned off to Norwegian owners with Norwegian-American frontmen, thus becoming a Jones Act qualified and US fishery qualified “American” vessel. She was “rebuilt” in Korea. I’m having a senior moment about the history of the Sunmar Sky.

SUNMAR SEA had her new forebody built in the USA (MARCO I believe) and it was SUNMAR SKY which had the forebody built in Korea

There were other ATA vessels, or at least cannery owned fishing vessels that carried freight.

all of Western Pioneer’s vessels of course plus there was the FS freighter SNOWBIRD at one time. Peter Strong started Coastal Transportation with the ex Army FS COASTAL TRADER back in the 80’s but I believe she burned and was a CTL

It was the seafood companies with remote Alasja plants and the small communities in Alaska that lobbied for the ATA. Admittedly, it was a big legislative achievement for Seattle lawyer Max Soriano, who owned Western Pioneer.

yeah, that fleet was quite a piece of work. With the exception of the SALLY J, BLUEFIN and REDFIN all were old Navy YO bunker tankers which were never intended to work outside of a sheltered harbor yet alone cross the Gulf of Alaska in the winter. They were tiny and lacking in everything. Are any still around? Vessels like the CAPELIN, BOWFIN, MARLIN, etc… Rattletrap old tubs all of em! But of course, Peter Strong has had some rattletraps too like the COASTAL NOMAD.

correct on that

Jim Haugen couldn’t make hauling reefer containers from Alaska to Hokkaido on Sea Trader work. The fuel cost ate him alive and she just couldn’t carry enough?

first they widened her so she looked like some weird old shoe they came the lengthening but no matter what it was a bad plan that never paid off for Northland…of course, Trident got her for next to nothing and laughed all the way to the bank

I recall being quite thankful about the new steel when Sea Trader was widened. She was a wet ride and more than once I had to climb out on the container tiers that were swaying to tighten chains. No names but one Northland upper mgmt was a total slave driver when it came to working cargo.
I won’t ever forget The trip up Wrangell narrows at night was quite the experience. Gives truth to the “there by the grace of God go I” saying.

Got it- done