Coast guard to civilian

Hey everyone, I have been in the Coast Guard now for 5.5 years. I am wanting to get out and be an engineer on other boats. What do I need to do? Also, will I get anything since I was already in the Coast Guard.I am a MK3 about to pass my MK2 end of course test. I have been to so many school. I have been to hydraulics, Ac&R, MTU factory training not in Yorktown, Cummins B6 and M11 factory training not Yorktown, and hydaquip. I did AC&R before I joined as well. Currently I am at a Naval Engineering Support Unit and work on Alcos, Paxmans, and Gensets. I have also worked on Detroit and 901 Cummins and my last unit. Any help and guidance would be great. I also have a part time job working on pleasure crafts. I really just want to get and get started on my life.

You will get very little love from NMC for all your military training as none of it is “Coast Guard approved”. You want to be sure to get a “Statement of Credible Sea Service” from the Coast Guard. That is the form required to document your sea service. Better to start sooner than later in the process as it can be long and tortured. Might just as well get your TWIC now and once you get your Sea Service statement, get your physical, etc and submit it to the Coast Guard. You need 180 days of sea service for your QMED.

see that is what i don’t understand. Im in the Coast Guard and these are all Coast Guard licenses that I need. I am about to work on my Twic card. I filled everything out online just got to go in. How are jobs out there?

I just don’t understand. I am in the Coast Guard and these are all Coast Guard licenses. You would think they would correlate. I have started my Twic stuff online just got to go in. I have got all my physicals and everything. I still have got to figure out how my sea service works. I have been on smaller boats as a engineer and work on big ones. I read my time works as long as the trips were longer than 4 hours. just need to find my stuff to document it. Would it just be better if i used my GI bill and went to school? How long would it take? Are there jobs out there to be had in this field?

My posts aren’t showing for some reason. I don’t understand why it would be so hard. Im in the Coast Guard and it is Coast Guard licensing. But nothing ever works like you would think. I am working on getting my TWIC. What would be my best bet? Are there schools for this? Or is it all experience bases. I have been an engineer for many years. I have just been happy were Im at and not wanted to advance. Are there jobs in this field to be had? I have learned to much in this field not to follow through with it. Just looking for a little guidance.

I just find it weird that they are coast guard licenses and my time in the coast guard gets me nothing. I should meet or exceed and standard set. What would be my best route? Start out as wiper or are there schools for this? Just looking for recommendations.

[QUOTE=coastguardsman;75237]Hey everyone, I have been in the Coast Guard now for 5.5 years. I am wanting to get out and be an engineer on other boats.[/QUOTE]

Good on you but I would stay in and get your 20 and get your license. After retiring, being a member of the check of the month club does not hurt.

The money is good but after you get out, you are a prostitute and unless you have something everybody wants or are really good at performing, when times get tough there is nobody there for you.

I worked commercial for 8 years, did 22, retired and am now doing well. Good luck on whatever your choice is.

BMCS

I really don’t want to do 20. I completely understand your point though. I think everyone should do some service. But I’ve done mine now time to move on with my life. Did your Coast Guard time count for anything? I’m a performer. I like real work. Would going to a school be better?

Stay in for 20 !!

I’m not gonna do 20. Its just not for me

[QUOTE=coastguardsman;75299]I really don’t want to do 20. I completely understand your point though. I think everyone should do some service. But I’ve done mine now time to move on with my life. Did your Coast Guard time count for anything? I’m a performer. I like real work. Would going to a school be better?[/QUOTE]

So I was not a performer? You like real work? Boy are you in for a surprise!

If you want to start at the bottom, get out and be a QMED. If your a performer, go to school.

As several people have mentioned: do you have at least 180 days of verifiable sea time on vessels? If you do, then you need the sea service forms mentioned to have the officers who SAW you do the work sign. Your military transcripts are useless. The USCG requires seatime to be signed by the supervisory person aboard OR the HR person directly responsible for your oversight. (Good luck finding THAT guy in HQ) Course completion certificates are useless (unless it is USCG certified towards CFR requirements. ) I am pretty sure you can figure out that you won’t be able to find anyone in the military who is authorized to sign for you. This is a personal mission you have to undertake. Find the guys you worked with. Do you understand the difference? Just having a guy in Bupers sign a form stating you were in for XXX days at this rank is useless. The guy who actually SAW you doing the engine room related stuff aboard is the guy you need.

As an aside, I am surprised this is not more well known within the military (even Uncle Sams Confused Group) that sea service must be kept up with as you go along, because once someone retires, or you move away it is really hard to catch back up to them for this reason.

Use your GI bill and get that education. If you work hard you can do it in 3 years. You’ll get some credits for your service. I just got out of the reserves. Did 6 years and couldn’t be happier to be out. I don’t blame ya for not wanting to do 20. It’s not the old CG that it use to be. To much BS and not enough common sense. Anyways go to school get your 3rds and collect some E5 BAH while doing it.

This guy appears to be yet another case where hiring a freelance UCSG licensing expert for assistance through the licensing process would be a very good idea.

Try:

About Sea K’s Licensing:

Charles “Chuck” Kakuska is a 25 year veteran of the United States Coast Guard. His last Duty Assignment was as Chief of the Regional Examination Center in Toledo, Ohio. A recognized expert in the field, and President of Sea K’s Maritime Licensing Service, Chuck has over 22 years of Maritime Licensing Experience.
Contact Us
(734) 847-1723
Fax (734) 847-6580
Email: SEAKsLic@aol.com
9069 Castlebury
Temperance, Michigan 48182

or www.jewellmaritime.com

or www.andyhammond.com