CMA Freshman thread

Hey folks,

Going to be attending CMA starting this fall (unless something drastic happens to cause me to fail the physical), had a question and I figured any other newbies could use this thread to ask theirs as well.

What is there in the way of student employment? How competitive is it? If there isn’t much, how’s Vallejo for employing students?

Thanks in advance

What major? There is a few boat companies in the bay that hire casuals. School has some jobs last I remember it’s been awhile but I know students staff the mail room still. Most people who wanted to work found jobs this is back in 02-06’ though

The school mess deck is almost always hiring. The boathouse and training ship also usually hire a few people to do maintenance. There are also a fair amount of jobs at different school offices as normal jobs or through the federal work study program. Early in the fall semester there is normally a school job fair for on campus jobs so keep an ear out for that.

[QUOTE=rshrew;158911]What major? There is a few boat companies in the bay that hire casuals. School has some jobs last I remember it’s been awhile but I know students staff the mail room still. Most people who wanted to work found jobs this is back in 02-06’ though[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=hard left;158941]The school mess deck is almost always hiring. The boathouse and training ship also usually hire a few people to do maintenance. There are also a fair amount of jobs at different school offices as normal jobs or through the federal work study program. Early in the fall semester there is normally a school job fair for on campus jobs so keep an ear out for that.[/QUOTE]

Major is MT. I know the training ship jobs are for engineers, but it sounds like I’ll have a good chance at something else. I’ll also have to contact the school and see if they offer any work study jobs for fed student aid.

Thanks for the answers guys, appreciate it.

After a year or so with the MT major, you will have enough experience to be worth hiring by local tugboat operations (ie Westar or AmNav) or ferries. Alcatraz hires deckhands and pays great.

But that first year or two you might have to settle with campus jobs.

Ps: The MT major makes you eligible for the SSOP program. Research the commitment and contact their office for a student stipend of 4K a semester.

[QUOTE=Denode;158902]Hey folks,

Going to be attending CMA starting this fall (unless something drastic happens to cause me to fail the physical), had a question and I figured any other newbies could use this thread to ask theirs as well.

What is there in the way of student employment? How competitive is it? If there isn’t much, how’s Vallejo for employing students?

Thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

Get a job on a tug. Get the experience. After your first semester, get with some of the teachers that teach the tug & barge course. The boat house usually has a couple jobs available. After your first semester you should have somewhat of a grasp on how to make your way around a boat. Try to take Industrial Safety the first semester. That will be a good stepping stone for you to get a job in the industry. They want to see that you have some sort of safety culture/knowledge which you do not at this time. Look into Oscar Niemeth Towing. Pay crappy but you get the experience you will need. Good luck.

Hey Denode,

I’m also MT and incoming this Fall. I’m eligible for work study and will be perusing that, perhaps we can help each other somehow. Shoot me a message and maybe we’ll run into each other at orientation!