Chouest Chief Engineer Pleads Guilty

This sort of stuff has been going on for some time but to be busted on a vessel that worked for the National Science Foundation shows a certain audacity.

Man, Choeust was just sued by one of their captains last month. http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/09/02/30068.htm

I recently read something at www.maritimepress.org about Chouest trouble there too. They’ve been in the news alot. Not real pretty either. Sorry to hear use to be a decent company.

[QUOTE=Capt. Ken Wahl;43758]I recently read something at www.maritimepress.org about Chouest trouble there too. They’ve been in the news alot. Not real pretty either. Sorry to hear use to be a decent company.[/QUOTE]

I never read maritimepress, but now that I have - pure garbage. Sometimes is nice to be on an end of an article that you can actually witness for yourself, instead of just reading a story. It really tells you the quality of information and reporting.

[QUOTE=tengineer;43755]This sort of stuff has been going on for some time but to be busted on a vessel that worked for the National Science Foundation shows a certain audacity.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2010/10/chief_engineer_of_gulf_vessel.html[/QUOTE]

There’s not too many companies that will agree to pay a fine with the condition of keeping an at fault employee out of jail. Will your company do that?

[QUOTE=anchorman;43764]I never read maritimepress, but now that I have - pure garbage. Sometimes is nice to be on an end of an article that you can actually witness for yourself, instead of just reading a story. It really tells you the quality of information and reporting.[/QUOTE]

I felt the same way when I read the article. I have never read the maritime press until now. I am always looking for accurate marine news sources. This article leads me to question the legitimacy of the reporting when the reporter’s personal opinions overpower the article and hard facts are not reported. Since I do know the truth about the company, I can tell you that the article is total BS.

I haven’t seen where the US Dept. of Justice said they wouldn’t send this guy to jail if Chouest paid a fine. If so that’s quite a powerful company you got there. Get caught at a felony and then tell the United States government you’ll pay the penalty only under certain conditions. Usually the guilty party doesn’t have a whole lot of say in what kind of fine they pay or under what conditions. I guess they really liked this chief or something. Does he get to keep his license and job too?
How in the world did he get caught as evidently this had been going on for a while. Somebody must have talked. They pay big rewards for turning people in so if I was on the crew I wouldn’t go out a buy a new pickup right now.
:o

[QUOTE=tengineer;43768]I haven’t seen where the US Dept. of Justice said they wouldn’t send this guy to jail if Chouest paid a fine. If so that’s quite a powerful company you got there. Get caught at a felony and then tell the United States government you’ll pay the penalty only under certain conditions. Usually the guilty party doesn’t have a whole lot of say in what kind of fine they pay or under what conditions. I guess they really liked this chief or something. Does he get to keep his license and job too?
How in the world did he get caught as evidently this had been going on for a while. Somebody must have talked. They pay big rewards for turning people in so if I was on the crew I wouldn’t go out a buy a new pickup right now.
:o[/QUOTE]
You never heard of a plea agreement? It’s public information. I’m sure you can find that out yourself and not use my word on it. The engineer will most likely lose his license, but it hasn’t got to that point yet. This happened several years ago and the guy has been working on his license since.

attempted to find out who was behind the “blog” @ maritimepress.org…without success…who is this Manni Costa anyway??

I guess he’s just a staff writter. I’ve seen him do some articles in workboat quite a while back, I think. He’s harsh. Tabloid style reporting like at the grocery store.

[QUOTE=anchorman;43765]There’s not too many companies that will agree to pay a fine with the condition of keeping an at fault employee out of jail. Will your company do that?[/QUOTE]

know of 2 instances w/ the “old” tidewater group…as soon as the “smoke” cleared the individuals were “unceremoniously history”!!

[QUOTE=Capt. Ken Wahl;43771]I think. He’s harsh. Tabloid style reporting like at the grocery store.[/QUOTE]

not so harsh as to reference the site…imagine for that there are those on here that thank you for drawing attention to this “grocery store tabloid”!!

Interesting to note that Anchorman and Capt. Lee shamelessly went straight for the messenger instead of condemning the act it-self. Endemic of the ilk that is infesting our fleets.

[QUOTE=capt.gratefull;46059]Interesting to note that Anchorman and Capt. Lee shamelessly went straight for the messenger instead of condemning the act it-self. Endemic of the ilk that is infesting our fleets.[/QUOTE]

My mother gave me some good advice - “think before you speak and there is no reason to vocalize every thought that enters your brain”

[QUOTE=capt.gratefull;46059]Interesting to note that Anchorman and Capt. Lee shamelessly went straight for the messenger instead of condemning the act it-self. Endemic of the ilk that is infesting our fleets.[/QUOTE]

Explain what messenger I went after, and the quote that was used if you would be so kind. Not subscribing to a certain person’s behavior because it’s against the law goes without saying, but I will keep that in mind in the future to satisfy your personal needs. On gCaptain, most members (myself included) respect our professions and responsibilities - just not idiots - hate to disappoint. The article referred to, was a junk article, backed with personal observation that directly contradict the subject matter. Most people don’t have the benefit of seeing a plan crash that they read about, or witness a shooting that they saw on television. This is not the case with myself and Captain Lee with respect to our post and the Maritime Press article.

Great first post by the way - just like a kitten that tried to cross the freeway for the first time and didn’t make it.

[QUOTE=Azimuth;46064]My mother gave me some good advice - “think before you speak and there is no reason to vocalize every thought that enters your brain”[/QUOTE]

Azimuth…generally good advice, but you have to think for it to work - meaning to have the capacity. Capt.Grateful is more than likely one of our “one-hit-wonders” that will never go past their single post. The maritime press article had nothing to do with the Marpol violation by the Chouest Engineer…for which we were all referring.

[QUOTE=anchorman;46081]Azimuth…generally good advice, but you have to think for it to work - meaning to have the capacity. Capt.Grateful is more than likely one of our “one-hit-wonders” that will never go past their single post. The maritime press article had nothing to do with the Marpol violation by the Chouest Engineer…for which we were all referring.[/QUOTE]

Exactly my point.

[QUOTE=anchorman;46068]Explain what messenger I went after, and the quote that was used if you would be so kind. Not subscribing to a certain person’s behavior because it’s against the law goes without saying, but I will keep that in mind in the future to satisfy your personal needs. On gCaptain, most members (myself included) respect our professions and responsibilities - just not idiots - hate to disappoint. The article referred to, was a junk article, backed with personal observation that directly contradict the subject matter. Most people don’t have the benefit of seeing a plane crash that they read about, or witness a shooting that they saw on television. This is not the case with myself and Captain Lee with respect to our post and the Maritime Press article.

Great first post by the way - just like a kitten that tried to cross the freeway for the first time and didn’t make it.[/QUOTE]

The way I interpreted what capt gratefull meant was because you work for Chouest but who knows what he meant

I rest my case.

[QUOTE=capt.gratefull;46182]I rest my case.[/QUOTE]

What case is that? Nothing was presented. And, I can pretty much guess that you have no idea what the fuck you’re talking about - because the link to the article (the one that we were referring) doesn’t work besides taking you to a site. This is an old thread brought from the depths by you. Captain Lee doesn’t work for Chouest. So, that assumption is blown right out of the water. One thing about me - it is no big secret where I work, my name, or the vessel I work. Anonymity isn’t my protectorate since I choose to wear big-boy pants. IF you want to have a discussion - Fine. That’s what this site it about. If you choose to throw mud without the common courtesy to explain what you mean - that leaves only a few options. None of which give you any credibility.