Chief Mate/Master Unlimited Exam update

just received email from NMC regarding my chief mate/master upgrade application:

[I]"…Your application for a Merchant Mariner Credential has been evaluated and approved pending successful completion of a Coast Guard examination…"[/I]

[B][U]hell yeah!!![/U][/B] scheduling the exam for the first week in August…

Great job man! I know that for me, getting the approval letter felt as if I already passed the exams! Good Luck.

thanks… yeah I know what you mean: the unknowns are done, all I have to do now is pass an exam, I can do THAT.

I have been studying for a while now using the Murphy Books and some “used” Lapware PDF exams, so i’m feeling pretty good.

Go get 'em Richard!

game on august 1-5.

focussing on studying right now, but there’s this little bird on my shoulder that keeps singing (emailing) to me about getting into ultra-deepwater drilling with my new license and experience…
might just do it…

Just wondering what exams you will have to take?
I just sat for my 2nd mate unlimited with a tonnage restriction/1600 ton master and had to take 8 exams. Passed all of em but I still have flashing light left…

I will tell you what…there is no better feeling when you walk out of the REC and the stress and burden has been lifted! Study hard and take it to them!!!

9 exams: ROR, Nav Gen, T Nav, C Nav, Nav Plot, Deck Gen A, Deck Gen B, Deck Safety/Envir, Stability. I do not have to take any towing exam or sailing exam, since both those endorsements “follow my license” (I already have towing master and unlimited tonnage auxillary sail.)
been taking practice exams on 8 of the 9 and doing well, starting today I hit celestial.
flashing light already done.

I passed all 9 chief mates exams first time around; it was REALLY hard…

anyway, I have it: CHIEF MATE ANY TONS STEAM MOTOR SAIL, ALL OCEANS
and a real sense of accomplishment !

Ride the wave!

Congratulations. Way to go!

Congratulations Richard on a job well done…sail on, sail on sailor…

Good Job! I guess you do know that the Chief Mate / Master courses are no longer required either!

Can any of the license experts weigh in on the following. I’m still confused about policy letter 11-07. As per PL 11-07 if you hold an unlimited 2/M and would like to upgrade to an unlimited C/M licenses you can do that without completion of the previously required STCW upgrade courses. But if you are an unlimited C/M and you want to upgrade to unlimited Master you need to complete the STCW upgrade courses. My apologies if this has already been covered in another thread.

Congratulations Richard!
We all knew you could do it. Now will they let you relieve Jim??? That’s the big question…enquiring minds want to know :wink:

I’m also very curious as to the status of having to take management level classes for CM/M. I did not see where that would not be required in the future. Is that really true???

Congrats Richard. I am taking my last shot at Stability in the AM.
Anchorman - you are just trying to stir the pot aren’t you? Not serious about the courses not being required.
I will send the USCG a bill for about $60 and whatever 4 months of my life is worth if that is the case.
TH

[QUOTE=todd.harter;53771]Congrats Richard. I am taking my last shot at Stability in the AM.
Anchorman - you are just trying to stir the pot aren’t you? Not serious about the courses not being required.
I will send the USCG a bill for about $60 and whatever 4 months of my life is worth if that is the case.
TH[/QUOTE]

No. That is a fact. Why would I want to stir the pot? I am a Master and a major part of my job is to get rid of those types. PL 01-02 was changed to PL 07-11 because the Coast Guard has held on appeal that courses cannot be required that are not in regulation. That also applies for PL 04-02. The Chief Mate checklist has already been changed on NMC’s website (take a look), but a new policy has not been published as of yet. Our training department has confirmed this with USCG headquarters. If you are a Edison Chouest Offshore employee, you will be seeing a licensing Memo this week reflecting this. You can still take the courses, and some may have to, just to complete the assessments, and is still an OPTION. Particularly, the people on drill ships will need courses (since they are on DP most of the time), but at the end of the day, you only need the assessments and what courses are required by regulation, seatime and a test.

Good luck on getting money back, I don’t see it happening, but it cost me a little over $60 bucks

Yes- forgot the K after the 60. Meant $60K with Mitags tuition, lodging, transport, etc. Throw in my day rate and???
I am furious - where to I go with my picket sign?
TH

totally agree with ya Todd!!! I am in the same boat and not at all happy about it. Yes, happy they have now changed the rules (again) but furious of my thousands of wasted dollars and months of time! And STILL do not have my masters license I should have been able to get in 2002!!!

congrats on passing the big test(s). I am taking a study break for the same and decided to log onto gcaptain for the first time in months! I’m not to far from you just across the Hudson.