Censorship

Mostly through active community discussion, sea stories, answers to topic questions, validity of advice. For those of us who have been participating in the forum for 5/10/10+ years and who have been in the industry that long or longer it is pretty obvious whether people are speaking from experience just as it would be in a face to face conversation.

I was taking the reason given at face value. It appears from the Mod comment that the user changed their profile several times to reflect different credentials.

I’m not afraid, I just maintain a professional separation because as we all know this is a small industry. Even though it should not, what you say can have an effect on your employment or your working relationships. I am comfortable respectfully discussing and explaining political views here on this forum, while at work if I had the same discussion I’d be ostracized and I’ve seen it happen. I may at some point change my user name to my actual name. But at present I do not see it as a career benefit.

No you have not. But read my post history (on engineering and shipping related topics) and I think you’ll find they reflect the position I’ve held.

2 Likes

It’s fairly easy to spot whether you are actually in the industry or not.

2 Likes

I am not giving any particular advice, but a cease and desist letter might be bluff, pure bluff, or a precursor to a lawsuit. Anyone who treats them all with equal seriousness should not play poker.

What’s the point of spending time and energy defending a troll?

Read the original complaint with regards to the union and than read the corresponding post. The problem with anonymous accusations aside the original material is being mischaracterized and sensationalized.

2 Likes

Trolls are, well, trolls. I compare them to gnats and mosquitos. Most people on this site have valuable info regarding the industry, which in one mans opinion what it was created for.

In this day and age it would not surprise me one whit if some of gCaptain’s beltway enemies aren’t engaging trolls to disrupt an outspoken honest broker of the state of the maritime industry and those who purport to regulate it.
Good administrators can usually sniff them out though. Takes some effort but there are precious few secrets on the internet

The reason the profile lists the S&D letter is that John beat the moderators to it. The three mods had concluded independent of John that this poster was not legit.

3 Likes

That’s not entirely true. I tried that tactic. Of course you didn’t agree with how I presented it at the time but I can’t picot the business all at once. It has to be done in steps and this was the first step and it failed: Introducing Club gCaptain

I have been far less vocal myself…posting off and on, mostly off, for a few reasons. Understood. But still glad you’re here

1 Like

Catherder, I know you are leaving soon, and very familiar with Norfolk, Check out Va Port Authority jobs. Have a feeling you would kick ass, and don’t have to sail anymore. You have paid your dues. I do miss c.captain as well as you.

1 Like

SE, I’ve lived in the area for around 30 years. I’ll have to see who I know over at the Port Authority since I used to work for one of the big shipping companies. I keep my LinkedIn current. That’s actually a good site to use if you can filter out the spammers and shitposters.

I think when I hang up the saddle and bridle I will have more to say about certain things. Right now, I need to stay below the radar.

3 Likes