Cars on campus

I heard freshman aren’t allowed to keep a car on campus. Is this bs? I cant imagine being stuck in Vallejo with out my hoopty!

I had my rag top car while at Kings Point (not allowed in my years) and no one but my best Buds knew. Well, there was this one time I parked my car in my rented garage, rented from wonderful retired folks on a road not far from Steam Boat Road. One fine dark and cold winter evening in 1962 Captain HO Travis, USMS, saw me walking along this road, stopped and asked me to get in. He asked me what I was doing on this cold Saturday night, I replied I was bird watching. He looked at me and couldn’t help himself from laughing. Nothing became of this !

Hawsepipe like a man and you won’t deal with such BS.

[QUOTE=DeckApe;91227]Hawsepipe like a man and you won’t deal with such BS.[/QUOTE]

Deck Ape - Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Most college campuses with limited parking don’t allow freshmen to have parking passes. At least on the east coast. Not sure how it is over in Cali.

Deck Ape, HO Travis was the top Deputy Dog at KP during this time frame. My class had a bar-bee-que before graduation, HO came up me and said “John, I always admired bird watchers.” BTW, HO was on several ships during WWII, a few went down.

At CMA freshmen cannot have cars on campus unless you have a very good reason (job, medical, family, etc…). If you want to try to get a car on campus as a freshmen you’ll need to submit something to the Chief of Police as to why you need a parking pass and then she may or may not approve it. You can also park outside the gate on freshman hill.

Thanks! How far away is “freshman hill”?

Just outside the gate so 1/4mi maybe. If you google earth the campus you will see the main entrance gate it is just to the right if that.

Mine was broken into out there. They always do. Just don’t keep anything of value in your car, including a stereo of any value. They broke my window, tried to steal my radio, couldn’t get it out so the shoved screwdrivers into it. Then they tried to open my rear hatch, couldn’t, so the shoved screwdrivers in the keyhole as well and it was useless. They stole other stuff I had in the jeep. It will get broken into out there if there’s ANYTHING in it. Just a heads up man…

I noticed I could petition for on campus parking. Has anyone tried this?

Wow, freshmen cant park on campus? Thats a new one. Chief of police? Huh? When I was there we had like 2 security guards and that was it. They call them police now? Anyway when I was there freshmen parked in Egypt. People who parked just outside the gate were off campus people wanting to save a few bucks for parking passes.Cars were always getting broke into out there. Not sure if its the same now, but I bought a motorcycle when going to CMA and was able to park right down on the waterfront. Price was about 1/3 of the price to park a car.

Yeah it’s stupid as hell. How are we supposed to leave campus?? I have a 1k sound system haha not trying to get it stolen. Maybe ill think of a medical excuse.

[QUOTE=SSG33;97674]Yeah it’s stupid as hell. How are we supposed to leave campus?? I have a 1k sound system haha not trying to get it stolen. Maybe ill think of a medical excuse.[/QUOTE]

I didn’t have a car my first two years, finally bought one with money made on commercial cruise. You’ll make friends from the class above you, they’ll have cars, you’ll get over it. Parking at the main gate is the same walking time as parking in Egypt (if they still call it that). It may even be shorter now that they have the nice sidewalk going to the gate.

Keep in mind that if you’re in a license track and try to come up with a medical excuse that #1, they have access to your medical physical, and #2, they can use it to keep you from getting your license. When I was there ('07) they checked that stuff and I knew two guys that had to change majors because of it. Good luck!

[QUOTE=Louisd75;98274]I didn’t have a car my first two years, finally bought one with money made on commercial cruise. You’ll make friends from the class above you, they’ll have cars, you’ll get over it. Parking at the main gate is the same walking time as parking in Egypt (if they still call it that). It may even be shorter now that they have the nice sidewalk going to the gate.
[/QUOTE]
Will still call it Egypt and it really depends on where you’re coming from if you have the choice use Egypt its safer.

Two questions: Where is Egypt? Can a first year still park a motorcycle on campus like brjones did?

Egypt is the parking lot in the north east corner closest to the carquinez bridge if you look at a school map.

Is it a good or bad sign that the majority of the discussion about CMA on this forum is about the parking situation? At least we’ve moved on from talking about felatio.

I dont think so, but i’d like to find out.

[QUOTE=socalguy;98367]Two questions: Where is Egypt? Can a first year still park a motorcycle on campus like brjones did?[/QUOTE]

I Don’t know the official rule and would assume that you need a permit but there are always a bunch parked by the gym.