Career Advice

Hello, I am new to the site and happy I have found it. I am seeking some good advise. I have been USCG licensed for 22 years, I hold a 1600-3000 ticket, a MCA 3000 Gt ticket as well. I have employed all these years on private yachts. I have sailed in many of the worlds ports and have crossed many of the oceans as captain. I really want to make a change into commercial ships, I have pretty much been there, seen it all with these yacht owners and want a normal life. Can anyone tell me where to look and apply and where to expect to start since I do not have an Unlimitted Ticket. I have an interest in off shore Tug and research vessels. Relocation is no problem for me. I have a clean USCG record. Excellent health as well.

Thank you
Captcruz

Ticket.

Join the club of searching for a job. Just do a search of companies. Someone recently posted an excellent link to tug companies:
http://shipbuildinghistory.com/today/shippingdirectory/tugs.htm
<!–Session data–>
if that is what you are interested in. You will need to get a TOAR, however. That can be accomlished at the AMO Star Center for $ 4,875 in a 5 day course provided you have 1600t master or Third Mate unlimited license, if you can’t get in with company as a training mate. Check out MPT, they may have a similar program.

Good Luck

Thank you, would you kindly explain what a TOAR certification is??.

Many Thanks,

A “Towing Officer Assessment Record”. This should help:

http://hawsepipe.net/license/license.htm

[QUOTE=captcruz;25872]Thank you, would you kindly explain what a TOAR certification is??.

Many Thanks,[/QUOTE]

Lots of answers can be found at the Master of Towing Vessels Association website:

http://www.mtvassociation.com/index.html

Doug & all, your information is very helpful and most appreciated. Now here is the big question, how does age all play into this. In the yachting World age is everything, they want sweet talking cute guys. I am 60, don 't look my age , still go down the quarter mile on two wheels at 170mph, . Do you see my age being an issue getting a ride after I get the Toar. Would appreciate an all out stright answer.

Again Many Thanks,

[quote=rjbpilot;25869]Join the club of searching for a job. Just do a search of companies. Someone recently posted an excellent link to tug companies:
http://shipbuildinghistory.com/today/shippingdirectory/tugs.htm
<!–Session data–>
if that is what you are interested in. You will need to get a TOAR, however. That can be accomlished at the AMO Star Center for $ 4,875 in a 5 day course provided you have 1600t master or Third Mate unlimited license, if you can’t get in with company as a training mate. Check out MPT, they may have a similar program.
Good Luck[/quote]

It doesn’t cover the whole ball of wax…only 68%
[LEFT][B][FONT=Arial-BoldMT][SIZE=4][FONT=Arial-BoldMT][SIZE=4][COLOR=#000083]Towing Officer Assessment Record (TOAR) (D034)[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][FONT=Arial-BoldMT][SIZE=4][/LEFT]

[/SIZE][/FONT][B][FONT=Arial-BoldMT][SIZE=2]Length
[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][LEFT][FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=2]40 hours[/SIZE][/FONT]
[LEFT][B][FONT=Arial-BoldMT][SIZE=2]Scope[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=2]In accordance with USCG NVIC 4-01, “every candidate for initial certification as Mate (Pilot) of Towing
Vessel must complete an approved training course or a TOAR.”
This program is offered to deck officers who are compliant with OICNW and have STCW certification; it
covers an additional 36% of the TOAR requirements. OICNW covers 32% for a total of 68% of the requirements
signed by a Designated Examiner at the end of the program.
[/SIZE][/FONT][B][FONT=Arial-BoldMT][SIZE=2]Objective[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=2]The objective of the program is to provide students with the detailed knowledge and assessments related
to TOAR as per NVIC 4-01.
[/SIZE][/FONT][B][FONT=Arial-BoldMT][SIZE=2]Entry Standards[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=2]The program is open to students who have a need for such training as required by the United States
Coast Guard NVIC 4-01. Students must be licensed at least at the level of Unlimited–Third Mate or have
an equivalent, valid STCW-95 certifications and the following:
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=2]In good physical health, s[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=2]peaks and understands English and a[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=2]t least 21 years of age.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[B][FONT=Arial-BoldMT][SIZE=2]Teaching Facility[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/LEFT]
[FONT=ArialMT][SIZE=2]STAR Center, Dania Beach, Florida
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/LEFT]

The average age of a licensed officer on US tugboats is 55. The only pretty boys on board are recent academy grads, and if they stick around for more than a year or two they look 60. It ain’t a glamor gig.

If you want it from the horse’s mouth, the USCG NVIC regarding the Towing License and TOAR is here:

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/NVIC/2000s.asp#2001

Scroll down to 04-01, and make sure you download all the enclosures as well.

Thank you again, a lot of information to absorb and look in to. Happy to read about the age thing, With the Toar in hand where would you suggest I begin to look for offshore work. Again Many Thanks.

[QUOTE=captcruz;25887]Thank you again, a lot of information to absorb and look in to. Happy to read about the age thing, With the Toar in hand where would you suggest I begin to look for offshore work. Again Many Thanks.[/QUOTE]

That’s the Catch-22. You have to find a job on a tug to get your TOAR completed, so you’re going to working as an AB or a “training mate” for quite some time before you’ll get your towing license. Plus, very few companies are hiring right now, and there are licensed folk working as deckhands. You’re at the bottom of the heap. You’re probably best off searching for work in the Gulf of Mexico. There is an abundance of information in the threads here about doing just that.

You mentioned research vessels as well, and the news is bleak there too. Many research vessels are tied up and there is little work to be had even for experienced people.

If you’ve got a job, don’t leave it yet.

“If you’ve got a job, don’t leave it yet.”

hey cruz, dougpine said it best: career changes/new directions/following your heart/whatever the reason for your desire to switch career paths this is not the time to do it, the commercial end of domestic shipping is slow unless you happen to have some rare certifications & experiences, which it appears you do not. stay where you are.

Thank you for your input.

Age doesn’t seem to be an issue - coming in to an interview with a multi-issue license and multi-endorsements are a big plus. There are a number of students taking classes to upgrade their license who are in their 60’s.

However, experience in the oil field is important if you are thinking of heading that way.

As other responses have said, if you have a job now, hang on to it. It is not a good time to be on the outside looking in.

Good luck!

Thanks Water, i do not have another job , my last gig was relief on a 52 meter for a few weeks in Nov. I have no problem starting as the mate. I am willing to get any additional classes needed to put me on a ride. Yachting as really slowed down and captain jobs a hard to come by. So I will keep a keen eye on this site and hope for the best.

thank you

[FONT=arial]I’m still not sure yet but i think I want to become a supervisory special agent with the NCAVC or a criminal profiler as its more commonly known. Of course I realize that I will spend many years as an FBI special agent first and even then getting into the NCAVC and even then its not guaranteed. I’m only a freshman in high-school but I want to start planning on a career as soon as possible. Right now I’m just looking for any kind of advice such as useful courses to take in college, working conditions of an FBI special agent and/or criminal profiler or alternate careers in the FBI.
[/FONT]

[B]scott styris: you have a goal and that puts you light years ahead of most high school freshmen. just keep your eye on the target as you go through school.[/B]

[B]at any rate, this site is a Professional Mariners blog so you may not find very detailed advice about working towards an FBI career at the National Center for the Analysis of Violent Crime. On the other hand, here you will be able to read some strange Maritime blogging which could theoretically give you some insight into how deranged minds work.[/B]

Update on my trying to make a transition from yachts to the a commercial job either in a research vessel or off shore tug. The Mates job out of Seattle on the research vessel Alucia, I was a little late but the lady in charge of hiring was very nice on the telephone and will keep me in mind for future positions. The job listed by the state of Louisiana, was very positive for a Ferry Boat Captain position. The only problem is my wife has a good job here, we own a home here, timing way off as opposed to doing a 30-60 day on/off where you can travel to meet the vessel. The Captain in-charge of 8 of their vessels was a great person to talk to and very nice. There is also a job for mates/ captain with the UCSD out there in San Diego. After several phone calls and promises of a return call I have given up any hope, even after I have offered to pay my own way out there if there was a possible opportunity. They advertise unlimited tickets because they like to rotate their staff, but out of the 4 vessels, 2 are under 1600 Gt and they do look at skippers with that license, keep in mind that I accept and realize that even with my tickets, I would need to start as a mate, just wish they would call or don’t tell me to stand by the phone and never call. Hopefully things will get better,