Career Advice

How’s it going guys?

Need some advice/suggestions. I’m a 9 year veteran of the Coast Guard with 4 years of active service and the rest in the reserves. I’m also a member of the local fire department. Few months ago I was hurt at a fire to the point where I’m not allowed to fight fires anymore on a fire truck or fire boat. My injury has to do with my lungs, but my only issue is that I can’t take in toxic smoke as I did when I got hurt. I have no other issue. I can exercise normally. Only requirement from my doctor is to carry a rescue inhaler in case a situation arises. I have my QMED-Oiler. I’m considering leaving the department due to the fact that I don’t want to work in an office for the next 20 years in the fire department. I love working on and being on the water but want to make sure that I’m making the right decision and I consider every option/piece of advice. The Coast Guard doesn’t have an issue with me working in the reserves. I have a few options as to what I can do:

1. Collect disability which I technically qualify for in my state because I can’t do my job anymore but I don’t want to do this really as I’m still young.
  2. Stay in the Fire department until I can retire but work in an office environment. This is the safest route which ensures job security and covers me financially and medically if a situation arises in the future due to my accident.
  3. Work on the local ferry and start a career on the water and continue upgrading my license. I will take a decent pay cut which we can afford as long as I pursue upgrading my license in the future and eventually make up the difference.
  4. Start the path towards becoming a Stationary Engineer which pays more than both the fire department and ferry but not really my cup of tea.

P.S. I’m married with my first child on the way. I’m also under 30 years old so I have a long life ahead of me career wise. I ask for serious advice/suggestions. Some people on here are ***holes. Thanks ladies and Gents.

[QUOTE=FDCG17;167277]How’s it going guys?

Need some advice/suggestions. I’m a 9 year veteran of the Coast Guard with 4 years of active service and the rest in the reserves. I’m also a member of the local fire department. Few months ago I was hurt at a fire to the point where I’m not allowed to fight fires anymore on a fire truck or fire boat. My injury has to do with my lungs, but my only issue is that I can’t take in toxic smoke as I did when I got hurt. I have no other issue. I can exercise normally. Only requirement from my doctor is to carry a rescue inhaler in case a situation arises. I have my QMED-Oiler. I’m considering leaving the department due to the fact that I don’t want to work in an office for the next 20 years in the fire department. I love working on and being on the water but want to make sure that I’m making the right decision and I consider every option/piece of advice. The Coast Guard doesn’t have an issue with me working in the reserves. I have a few options as to what I can do:

1. Collect disability which I technically qualify for in my state because I can’t do my job anymore but I don’t want to do this really as I’m still young.
  2. Stay in the Fire department until I can retire but work in an office environment. This is the safest route which ensures job security and covers me financially and medically if a situation arises in the future due to my accident.
  3. Work on the local ferry and start a career on the water and continue upgrading my license. I will take a decent pay cut which we can afford as long as I pursue upgrading my license in the future and eventually make up the difference.
  4. Start the path towards becoming a Stationary Engineer which pays more than both the fire department and ferry but not really my cup of tea.

P.S. I’m married with my first child on the way. I’m also under 30 years old so I have a long life ahead of me career wise. I ask for serious advice/suggestions. Some people on here are ***holes. Thanks ladies and Gents.[/QUOTE]

Stay with the fire department until you can retire. Then pursue the other options.

[QUOTE=FDCG17;167277]How’s it going guys?

P.S. I’m married with my first child on the way. I’m also under 30 years old so I have a long life ahead of me career wise. I ask for serious advice/suggestions. Some people on here are ***holes. Thanks ladies and Gents.[/QUOTE]

Stay with the fire department, you can make a contribution even in an office environment, maybe more so than the usual office types who have never been on the job. The benefits alone in your situation make it worthwhile. Start running a charter, do some boat engine maintenance or something to get your water fix.
Honestly, most people working at sea are doing it because they are making more money and have more responsibility than they could with equal education elsewhere…right up until they get laid off because the price of oil falls or the world economy takes a dive. The love of being near the water got some of us started but by the time a new guy makes it to the top you’ll be drawing your pension. I was lucky but now if I can’t wade in it I don’t want on it unless I am getting paid. That is just my personal opinion and it is worth every dime you just paid for it.

I worked as a Hospital Stationary Engineer for years and it pays well, but it can be monotonous. I work as a relief SF Bay Tug Engineer now and work full time as a Waste Water/Treatment Engineer. It pays well and it is not too difficult to get the entry level Treatment/Distribution or Waste Licenses. I took correspondence courses from Sacramento State to qualify to take the tests. I work for SF Water and drive in the mountains in Yosemite checking water instruments. Water treatment maybe something that may interest you. Every City, County, Prison needs Water Operators. The Ca State Prison System is so desperate for Water Operators that they have waived the entrance exam. Most States have reciprocity for the Water Licenses. Your present Job sounds good though too.Good Luck.

Thanks for the advice guys. I really appreciate it. I was actually convinced by a buddy of mine who is a hospital stationary engineer to go that route. He does live pretty comfortable when it comes to finances but like you said it sounds pretty monotonous. I’m going to go for a tour in a few weeks to try to get an idea of what the job really entails. I took a tour of the ferry job and it looked pretty interesting. I missed the days of getting underway and having the engine room watch. I know it’s a ferry and it’s nothing like being away for months, which was fun when I was younger, but there is just a certain vibe and crew that do these jobs. Hard to explain. Appreciate the feedback.

[QUOTE=FDCG17;167549]Thanks for the advice guys. I really appreciate it. I was actually convinced by a buddy of mine who is a hospital stationary engineer to go that route. He does live pretty comfortable when it comes to finances but like you said it sounds pretty monotonous. I’m going to go for a tour in a few weeks to try to get an idea of what the job really entails. I took a tour of the ferry job and it looked pretty interesting. I missed the days of getting underway and having the engine room watch. I know it’s a ferry and it’s nothing like being away for months, which was fun when I was younger, but there is just a certain vibe and crew that do these jobs. Hard to explain. Appreciate the feedback.[/QUOTE]

My SUNY Maritime room mate and a few other class mates started their ashore careers as stationary engineers in hospitals and med schools (I think every med school in and around NYC has a SUNY Maritime type as engineer). All of my class mates have gone on to other engineering jobs, my ex-room mate is now with a construction company. So consider that it might not be a long term arrangement, but a start to something else.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;167590]My SUNY Maritime room mate and a few other class mates started their ashore careers as stationary engineers in hospitals and med schools (I think every med school in and around NYC has a SUNY Maritime type as engineer). All of my class mates have gone on to other engineering jobs, my ex-room mate is now with a construction company. So consider that it might not be a long term arrangement, but a start to something else.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice JDcavo. I don’t know why I feel like any decision I make has to be long term. I guess it’s from being in the military and in the fire department. Both those choices for me were long term but life always throws us curve balls. I’ve actually also considered lately attending Suny Maritime. I have about 93 credits from college when I was completing my degree in Emergency Management. Considered majoring in Marine Engineering at Suny Maritime. I like the structure of the schools, the discipline, and history. I don’t know if it will be worth it since I’ll be around 30 years old when I attend and I’m less than a year away of sea time from getting my 3rd assistant license, which is what I will graduate with if I decided to go that route. Just exploring all my options. Thanks for the advice guys. I really do appreciate it. I like to hear everyone’s thoughts to make sure I consider every single thing before I make such a huge decision.

[QUOTE=FDCG17;167595]Thanks for the advice JDcavo. I don’t know why I feel like any decision I make has to be long term. I guess it’s from being in the military and in the fire department. Both those choices for me were long term but life always throws us curve balls. I’ve actually also considered lately attending Suny Maritime. I have about 93 credits from college when I was completing my degree in Emergency Management. Considered majoring in Marine Engineering at Suny Maritime. I like the structure of the schools, the discipline, and history. I don’t know if it will be worth it since I’ll be around 30 years old when I attend and I’m less than a year away of sea time from getting my 3rd assistant license, which is what I will graduate with if I decided to go that route. Just exploring all my options. Thanks for the advice guys. I really do appreciate it. I like to hear everyone’s thoughts to make sure I consider every single thing before I make such a huge decision.[/QUOTE]

You say a year sea time for a third? How long will that take? A couple years at least. How long for the SUNY route? Getting a degree in marine engineering might be worth it.

I have a total of 1180 days, but about 300 days are deck which don’t count toward the 1080 required for 3rd assistant engineer. They only accept 180 if I remember correctly. I’m not sure how long it will take me to graduate from Suny. All depends on the transfer credits. I will love to have the degree. It definitely won’t hurt me in anyway. Sure it opens up more opportunities down the road regardless of the route I go. I’m lucky enough to have some of the tuition, if not all, paid for by the military tuition programs which makes me strongly consider this route. I guess my biggest fear is leaving the fire department which is a secure job, paycheck, and benefits. Benefits I will still have through the military like health and life insurance, but the paycheck after I graduate will be the uncertain part. I’m lucky enough to have options no matter what route I go. Just a matter of deciding which one will be the best for my family and myself. Thanks for the advice ladies and Gents. Hope you guys had a good weekend.

[QUOTE=FDCG17;167663]I have a total of 1180 days, but about 300 days are deck which don’t count toward the 1080 required for 3rd assistant engineer. They only accept 180 if I remember correctly.[/QUOTE]

If your sea time numbers are exact you’re only short 20 days.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=FDCG17;167595]I’ve actually also considered lately attending Suny Maritime. I have about 93 credits from college when I was completing my degree in Emergency Management. Considered majoring in Marine Engineering at Suny Maritime.[/QUOTE]

The degree will help you if you find yourself wanting to be an engineer on land later on, but consider your long term goals before deciding which engineering degree you do.