Canadian cabotage rules

Canadian Unions win their fight for cabotage rights:
https://splash247.com/canadian-maritime-unions-score-cabotage-rights/

How will this work if a foreign flag OSV/Tug or ship is engaged in Canadian domestic trade. Will they demand that even the Master is Canadian? If so, how will that work if the flag state do not allow foreign masters on their ships? (I.e. US flag etc.)

it will work the same as other countries with cabotage, single port stop for foreign flag I guess?

Wild ass guess … where did the single port stop idea come from?

Nothing to do with ships that calls at Canadian ports to/from foreign ports.
Only coastal trade and especially vessels engaged in the offshore oil & gas industries are effected.

It’s hard to tell from that article what’s going on. My guess is the unions are trying to limit the government practice of issuing temporary worker permits to crew on vessels that are already required by Canadian law to use Canadian crew.

Under the provisions agreed upon, the Canadian government will not issue any temporary foreign worker permits to mariners from outside nations for more than 30 days

that what cabotage means in many countries, same as your jones act, one stop.
I know Indonesia is allowing foreign flag to do 2 stops but not move anything between ports, thats a current presidential edict, law says otherwise.
also effects yachts as law says one stop
Joko also made a couple temporary of rules to fix that.

I’ve sailed many years on U.S. flag, non-Jones act vessels. There are no restrictions on the number of U.S. port calls.

I’ve never called to the U.S. with just one port call.

US flag, there ya go
Can a US flag non jones act vessel be foreign crewed when trading in US water?

Foreign built, COI specifically says the ship is not allowed in the Jones Act trade. Same situation with foreign flag, foreign built.

This has been discussed here endlessly. Jones Act requires U.S. built vessel.

No, the requirements to use U.S. crew do not change with the trade. Unlicensed can be (IIRC) 25% non-U.S. typically I have one or two unlicensed crew with foreign passport in any crew (but with U.S. MMC), or about 5 to 10 percent foreign.

Foreign flag vessels in the US have no maximum number of allowed port stops.

It can’t be foreign crewed even when trading overseas except in certain specific exempted situations.

Even Australia hasn’t got to where they restrict foreign ships from calling at multiple ports, but they do not allow them to carry cargo between Australian ports. THAT IS WHAT CABOTAGE MEANS!!!

PS> Just to make doubly sure; that does not mean that cargo loaded in foreign ports, or loaded in Australia for a foreign port, cannot be carried on board while transiting between Australian ports.

The Union rules that prohibit offshore vessels working within Australian EEZ from having foreign crews are an entirely different case.

ok I am missing something here
So what cant your US flag non Jones act compliant vessel do that a Jones act can do if you are calling at multiple ports?

The title if the article is misleading, they already HAD cabotage and the government was wavering it away.

1 Like

its all been fudged in OZ for the last couple of years when they needed some technical vessels in and the gov went into bat for the contractor and stuck it to the union.
Pipelayer was the issue

I go up the U.S. coast and discharge all the foreign loaded cargo, then I go back down the U.S. coast and load U.S. cargo and then continue on the voyage to discharge that cargo in foreign ports.

Nothing.

Apparently you are.

His US flag non Jones act vessel has to follow the same rules as all non Jones act vessels (foreign flag) and he’s able to make multiple port visits in the US (like every foreign flag vessel that comes here).

so the point is cant shift US cargo in the USA, is that it?

Yes Canada has a cabotage law, just like most countries with a coastline have. What they won was enforcement of the rule that ships covered by the law must be manned by Canadians.

BTW; Nothing about Canadian built or owned said in this article.

PS> I just linked to an article in Splash 24/7, not make the headline.

No, his point was that there’s no requirement of only one port call in the US.

Are there any US flag offshore vessels working on long term contracts in Canadian waters still?
If so, do the USCG demand that the Master is a US citizen? (I know that all others can be foreign as long as the vessel is seen as an OSV under US rules)