Canadian cabotage rules

yes as my point was most other countries the law says one port but have fudged it for years.
In Indonesia’s case they didnt have the vessels but thats slowly changing so they reduce the fudging over time.

Can you please quote ONE country that limit foreign ships to call at only one port per trip?
If so, it has noting to do with cabotage:

They cannot load cargo in one US port and offload it at another US port. There is no difference between a US flagged “non Jones Act” ship and a foreign flag ship with regard to cabotage.

Indonesia, who currently fudge it for 2 ports

I don’t think so. I know that Jokowi has toughened up the rules but I have never heard or seen anything about restriction of how many port a ship can call at. Do you have any documentation of that??

Here is a short but informative description of Indonesian cabotage law by the highly reputed Maritime Lawfirm Clyde & Co. with offices in Singapore, Jakarta, KL, four places in Australia:
https://www.clydeco.com/insight/article/cabotage-and-its-impact-in-indonesia

FYI: Below the article are links to articles about the cabotage laws of several other countries for those who are interested.

No. As far as I know, there have not been any US flag vessels “regularly” working in Newfoundland for a long time. When US vessels worked on long term contracts in Newfoundland years ago, they had an American Master as US law requires.

There are a lot of Canadians in Eastern Canada that also hold American citizenship, including some seafarers.There are a lot of Canadians living and working in the US, but not very many Americans living and working in Canada.

Foreign flag, foreign owned vessels are working in the Canadian offshore, but with Canadian union seafarers. Foreign vessels can only work in Canada for a short time without replacing all foreign seafarers with Canadian seafarers. Apparently, that rule has been abused with too many bullshit waivers. The news article is apparently referring to better enforcement of the existing law with fewer waivers.

The OSVs I recall seeing in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia are Atlantic (Irving), Siem, Maersk, and Secunda Canada. The CEO of Secunda Canada is a Norwegian, they operate second had boats built in Norway, with all Canadian seafarers. I’d bet that Secunda Canada is mostly Norwegian owned.

The American offshore crews in US waters are non-union so they cannot apply the same sort of public pressure to politicians to stop the bullshit waivers that the incompetent and corrupt USCG passes out like candy to foreign seafarers.

1 Like

Secunda Canada LP is a subsidiary of Siem Offshore: http://www.secunda.ca/aboutus.php
Their fleet is not all built in Norway, but of Norwegian design and mostly with Norwegian machinery and equipment: http://www.secunda.ca/fleet.php

If there are any vessels flying Norwegian flag they are probably NIS registered, unless on short term contracts, or CSVs with special capabilities not available in Canada.

Any NOR flag vessel working anywhere requires Norwegian/EU crews, or at least Norwegian Master (Nordic and EU citizen can get dispensation as Master in certain circumstances)
Any foreign officers have to hold Norwegian CeCs and crew must be signed on Norwegian contract terms. (I.e. Norwegian pay and benefits, but also Norwegian tax)

they have had the cabotage rules for years but can never apply them as they dont have the vessels.
It was in the press here, saying indo will really suffer with container traffic if they hold them to one stop.
My mate at Maersk told me they can do 2 stops at the moment.

From MAREX this morning:

Report: Ninety-One States have Cabotage Laws

Yes, as said many times, most countries have cabotage laws for both sea, land and air transport in some form.
Reserving domestic trade to national flag vessels with national crews is what cabotage laws are for. Others DO NOT mix that with the welfare and protection against exploitation for seafarers, or protection against competition for shipyards.

2 Likes