Can MM&P Offshore members sail MM&P Inland jobs and vice versa?

The thread title is the question: Can MM&P Offshore members sail MM&P Inland jobs and vice versa?

I believe so you just have to pay the difference in initiation. And obviously u have to have the right license.

You can only be a member in one group at a time. You can transfer internally, but can’t sail UIG while holding an offshore card, etc…

I was an Offshore book member, am currently an PMR member, but can go back to offshore with the approval of the General Election Board, and I will keep my A book status.

[QUOTE=mention;167926]You can only be a member in one group at a time. You can transfer internally, but can’t sail UIG while holding an offshore card, etc…

I was an Offshore book member, am currently an PMR member, but can go back to offshore with the approval of the General Election Board, and I will keep my A book status.[/QUOTE]

Are transfers typically approved? Ultimately I’m wondering if one could work for a company that that offers more sea time in FEMG or UIG , thus facilitating a quicker license/book upgrade, and then transfer to MM&P Offshore after a few years. The idea is to hopefully skip the feast-and-famine, ship-off-the-board applicant phase.

[QUOTE=Honest_Abe;167959]Are transfers typically approved?[B] Ultimately I’m wondering if one could work for a company that that offers more sea time in FEMG or UIG , thus facilitating a quicker license/book upgrade, and then transfer to MM&P Offshore after a few years.[/B] [B]The idea is to hopefully skip the feast-and-famine, ship-off-the-board applicant phase.[/B][/QUOTE]

Hopefully we can get rid of that complete and utter bullshit loophole at either the next Shipping Rules vote or Convention.

No applicant, D, or C book should ever lose out on getting voted up to any level (let alone membership) to somebody whom has not shipped OTB and endured the feast and famine as you like to describe.

Nothing ventured… then nothing should be gained.

AMO sounds like the best fit for you.

Isn’t it great when fools come on here broadcasting their lazy, shortcutting, mooching plans to the world? Do they expect us to facilitate and applaud their lack of effort?

Anyways yeh I hope you fail in your efforts to hopscotch over your fellow MM&P members.

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;167963]Hopefully we can get rid of that complete and utter bullshit loophole at either the next Shipping Rules vote or Convention.

No applicant, D, or C book should ever lose out on getting voted up to any level (let alone membership) to somebody has not shipped OTB and endured the feast and famine as you like to describe.

Nothing ventured… then nothing should be gained.

AMO sounds like the best fit for you.[/QUOTE]

You’re easily excitable. Turns out there’s no need to get your panties in a bunch, anyways: http://bridgedeck.org/forms/FEMGtoOFFtransfer.pdf

[QUOTE=Honest_Abe;167966]You’re easily excitable. Turns out there’s no need to get your panties in a bunch, anyways: http://bridgedeck.org/forms/FEMGtoOFFtransfer.pdf[/QUOTE]

Abe, you don’t seem to get it…

The fact that it is possible, no matter the parameters comparing to you the lest senior member D C Or B book, is ludicrous and long overdue to be eliminated.

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;167967]Abe, you don’t seem to get it…

The fact that it is possible, no matter the parameters comparing to you the lest senior member D C Or B book, is ludicrous and long overdue to be eliminated.[/QUOTE]

Why is it objectionable if the UIG/FEMG member has comparative years of active membership?

[QUOTE=Honest_Abe;167969]Why is it objectionable if the UIG/FEMG member has comparative years of active membership?[/QUOTE]

Because you didn’t ship OTB Offshore Group and deal with all that goes along with it…

-repeatedly getting beat out for OTB jobs
-night mate endlessly just to get by until you did get a job, even if it was for only 30 days
-or repeatedly get beat out for night mate jobs you needed just so that you could get by
-sometimes drive from hall to hall chasing jobs that you very well may not get
-It is most certainly “objectionable” for MSC jobs because those guys are MSC employees from the moment they are hired. Excluding whatever obscure contract we might have with somebody like Trinity or the remnants of TECO, there are no permanent jobs in MMP offshore lower than C/M. Everybody below that is OTB, shipping one trip or 30 day reliefs, or 120 day rotary.

It takes between 6-9 yrs (currently) shipping OTB 150-180 days a year (if you can even get that much work), lots of night mate jobs (when not on paid vacation), and a fair bit of time time at MITAGS to get an A book. And there is no guarantee of that timetable; it all depends on the retention/loss/or addition of contracted vessels and pensioners. When Patriot loses (more likely than not) the Watson class contract at the end of the 5 year contract, (barring some unforeseen contract addition to the offshore group), the advancement to A book and the advancement above D book will slow to a crawl.

I have ZERO problem with the route to get an A book.

There is no reason anybody who is not going through all that should get a pass.

This bullshit crossover within MMP is just as bad as the MEBA passthrough agreement.

I’ve been lurking on this forum for some time now, but this has compelled me to register and post. I have to agree with the other offshore members on here that your dreams of an easy way to A book nirvana is a bad idea. I will vote to close it just like I did to close that B.S. MEBA passthrough loophole years ago. I caution you that you will not gain any respect amongst your newly transferred union brothers by attempting this. Your first taste of this will happen at the hall where you will be quickly spotted as a questionable “book” member. It takes those years of ups and downs to learn the game and play it well. Your next comeuppance will happen when you step foot on your first offshore contract ship. Trust me, I ask all my mates where they’ve been sailing and if one of them were to tell me an MSC ship, it would not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. It’s a small industry and an even smaller union. If you can’t name me five to ten people I personally know and or have sailed with, you haven’t paid your dues in the MM&P, and I don’t mean the $400 a year. That being said, my career has been more ups than downs so just start from the bottom like the rest of us and take a night mate job. Or go to AMO. WTFDIC

If you’re going to play the game it helps to know all the rules.

I’ve said it for a number of years. The biggest threat to the MM&P is it’s members. I saw it in 1984 and it’s much more obvious today.

As an ex-military enlisted/ tug / ferry/ MSC mariner I have at times felt the “you don’t belong” vibe from a few. I never paid any attention. In the hall, the member with the high card gets the job, on the ship the mariner that does his job and is a good shipmate is going to be welcomed back and get promoted. A few guys are not going to like it. That’s life.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;167993]As an ex-military enlisted/ tug / ferry/ MSC mariner I have at times felt the “you don’t belong” vibe from a few. I never paid any attention. In the hall, the member with the high card gets the job, on the ship the mariner that does his job and is a good shipmate is going to be welcomed back and get promoted. A few guys are not going to like it. That’s life.[/QUOTE]

Like I said K.C. I’ve been lurking on the board for a while now and have genuinely enjoyed reading your take on things. You mention your background and it’s admirable to have worn so many hats in this industry, but it sounds like you may have taken advantage of this very loophole this “honest” Abe is looking to use. that doesn’t mean the rest of the rank and file need to accept it as fair. You are correct that if you show up with a good attitude and a drive to be a crackerjack shipmate you will be welcomed with open arms, but the guys who have been slogging it out for 6 years, checking the quarterly lists, taking classes for extra points, and generally doing what is required by the bylaws for membership should not be passed over for someone that willingly “worked” the system. The part of mm&p that makes it work is the fair way in which members ship out. I believe that translates to the membership process as well.

[QUOTE=DamnYankee;168001]Like I said K.C. I’ve been lurking on the board for a while now and have genuinely enjoyed reading your take on things. You mention your background and it’s admirable to have worn so many hats in this industry, but it sounds like you may have taken advantage of this very loophole this “honest” Abe is looking to use. that doesn’t mean the rest of the rank and file need to accept it as fair. You are correct that if you show up with a good attitude and a drive to be a crackerjack shipmate you will be welcomed with open arms, but the guys who have been slogging it out for 6 years, checking the quarterly lists, taking classes for extra points, and generally doing what is required by the bylaws for membership should not be passed over for someone that willingly “worked” the system. The part of mm&p that makes it work is the fair way in which members ship out. I believe that translates to the membership process as well.[/QUOTE]

I agree the our friend seems to be looking for a shorttcut. If I took any shortcuts I’d hate to think what the long way would have looked like.

Almost all the offshore guys I get have sailed with have sailed 100% offshore. If shipping out of the hall is such a nightmare and working another division is some kind of loophole why is it hardly anyone transfers? The two possibilities are either they have very high priciples and feel it’s taking advantage or they think their luck is going to be better at the hall. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

You get the same bullshit pushback when you leave your “home” hall and try to ship somewhere else where no one know you.

If members think that offshore divison should treat members from other divisons just like someone walking off the street they should vote to change the rules.