MM&P Who's in it?

I have a few Q’s about MM&P. First off, can I join via correspondence and if so is it a blanket membership or if I was interested in two regions such as Northern Cali & Puget Sound, would I have to be on both rosters, paying both dues?

You’ll have to join in person, but…what branch? Offshore? Inland? Do you have a license? MMC? TWIC? If you provide a little more info, my answer could be a little more focused.

Interested in the Inland division. San Fransisco and Seattle. Maybe New York in the future? I currently hold

100 Ton Master - Near Coastal
200 Ton Mate - Near Coastal
Apprentice Mate of Towing
Able Seaman - Special (Lifeboatman)
STCW-BST
Vessel Security Officer
BOSIET
HUET
etc.

This year I plan to add

500 Ton Mate - Inland
Get the TOAR completed
And knock out the classes to make the Mate 1600 Near Coastal as I can afford to.

www.mmp-uig.com

Should be able to find your answers (or email and phone #s for those who can help).

Good luck - MMP is a good union. Granted, there will now be the slew of dissenting opinions.

What’s the point in joining the union? If you sign up and start paying dues will they find a position for you? Do you start gaining seniority just by joining even if you are not working on a union vessel?

This topic interests me because I contacted the Puget Sound branch about organizing my wheelhoue, and after numerous attempts they never even had the courtsey to get back to me. I work as captain for a Puget Sound tug company. Our deckhands are represented by the IBU, but the wheelhouse is non-union. Other ports where my company operates, the wheelhouse is represented by the MMP. We have only three tugs and two full-time captains here at our location, and the other captain is my manager, so I figured organizing should be easy. Small potatoes I know, but I figure each and every member they add would only make the organization stronger.

In short, they didn’t want to talk to me about organizing…so I figure why would I want to join unless it would improve my chances of finding a good career position (inland division). I hold a 1600T Master on Oceans lic, w/MTV. No plans on going unlimited, I would be happy to stay on tugs.

MM&P Inland does not have a good reputation here in San Francisco.Considered a pretty weak union. MM&P for deep sea Masters and Mates is a very good though.

Assuming you can catch the Regional Agent in his office,you pay $127.50 to work as a casual for 3 months,the Agent hands you a list of phone numbers of the companies that are MM&P,then you go out and make the calls and find your own job. Amnav and Westar run 2 man boats,a captain and a deckeneer. Bay-Delta has 3 man boats,but hear that the company is for sale.

As to belonging to more than one region,sorry,not familiar with the rules in MM&P on that

Do you really want to work at Westar? Bill Sherfy the boss has Grumpy on the front of his hardhat and a–hole on the back. If you want a lot of different work experience that’s the company to work for.Warning they will use you like a 2 dollar whore.

I have been looking at going into the maritime industry in the Bay Area for a long time now. I would ideally like to work on tugs or the ferry system because it seems to be expanding. A lot of these are done through the Unions IBU and MMP. Just wondering how it actually works, I know with both you have to sign up and with IBU take a class but with MMP you could be put on a casual list right away. How long if ever does it take to eventually get full time work? Is getting on with the ferries any easier than tugs? How much could one really expect to work if they were devoted to it full time? I could get by with 2 and 3 day work weeks for a while but if I’m going like 2 and a half months without hearing anything that may be a different story. I know this probably varies but my main issue is I have a decent paying job on shore right now with benefits. I’m not exactly happy there though, and this is something I’ve wanted to do for a long time and would rather get started doing it now before anything in my life really changes dramatically (kids, house if I’m lucky enough, etc.)

[QUOTE=The Mess;140761]I have been looking at going into the maritime industry in the Bay Area for a long time now. I would ideally like to work on tugs or the ferry system because it seems to be expanding. A lot of these are done through the Unions IBU and MMP. Just wondering how it actually works, I know with both you have to sign up and with IBU take a class but with MMP you could be put on a casual list right away. How long if ever does it take to eventually get full time work? Is getting on with the ferries any easier than tugs? How much could one really expect to work if they were devoted to it full time? I could get by with 2 and 3 day work weeks for a while but if I’m going like 2 and a half months without hearing anything that may be a different story. I know this probably varies but my main issue is I have a decent paying job on shore right now with benefits. I’m not exactly happy there though, and this is something I’ve wanted to do for a long time and would rather get started doing it now before anything in my life really changes dramatically (kids, house if I’m lucky enough, etc.)[/QUOTE]

Refer to my earlier post for MMP. After you pay, you can work as a casual for 3 months. You have to go to the tug companies and get yourself on a casual call list,once on the list,you may wait for days or longer to get called. You should check in with the dispatchers daily, always helps to be in their mind when they need someone. For the ferries, you have to join the IBU and work out of a hiring hall in San Francisco. In order to get work, you have to show up at the hiring hall at job call time and compete for jobs based on your shipping card. Plenty of work from April to October, but winters are pretty lean until you get shipping card seniority. First step is to get your MMC and TWIC before you can do any work.
http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/ is the link for your MMC http://www.tsa.gov/stakeholders/transportation-worker-identification-credential-twic® the link for your TWIC

Thank you SF Mariner. Ha. I’ve been hearing about the paying for the 90 days to work casually and a little about the IBU but this provides a little more insight. I currently am renewing my MMC and just got my TWIC extension. I’ve also taken 2 of the 4 BST courses. I’ve also read that the ferries go through MM and P too do you have an info how that is done? I imagine it’s the same. Also after you work as a casual for 3 months, or more over what eventually gets you IN to the union?

[QUOTE=The Mess;141071]Thank you SF Mariner. Ha. I’ve been hearing about the paying for the 90 days to work casually and a little about the IBU but this provides a little more insight. I currently am renewing my MMC and just got my TWIC extension. I’ve also taken 2 of the 4 BST courses. I’ve also read that the ferries go through MM and P too do you have an info how that is done? I imagine it’s the same. Also after you work as a casual for 3 months, or more over what eventually gets you IN to the union?[/QUOTE]

The only ferry jobs MMP has are the Blue&Gold tour boats out of Pier 39, all the other ferry jobs in SF Bay are IBU, also IBU covers Foss tugs and Crowley tugs in SF Bay. I’m not certain when you become a member of MMP,perhaps after you gain seniority at a company you become a dues paying member. For the IBU, you start out in the hiring hall as a “D” card, after you work 720 hours as a “D” card you become a “C” card and a dues paying member of the union. As you continue to work and accumulate more hours,you move up to a “B” card and eventually an “A” card.

I think I read in one of your old posts that you’re IBU. Do you believe that is the better of the 2? I’m also curious about your experience when you joined, and how you go to where you are now (I see you’re with FOSS) what kind of rotation do you work? I’ve heard a lot about the rotations in the Gulf and East Coast here, but not much about the Bay Area. I also heard that for IBU you take a class before becoming a D Card and I was wondering if that’s on their dime or your own? Another question I had was are you allowed to sign up with both? To maximize working chances or is that frowned upon. For instance getting a D Card with IBU but also paying for the MM and P 90 day permit to work casual on Tugs since it seems they have more options for that. Hope I’m not bothering you but it’s been really nice to hear from a local guy who’s in the industry, and interesting as well.

If you are registered for work with MMP, and obtain employment from another source, your shipping card with MMP void until said employment ends. The card will be reinstated from the day you are no longer employed. In other words, you can not register and build seniority while employed somewhere else. Yes, it is frowned upon and there is a rule against the practice.

I figured as much, plus after I wrote that I was thinking why would you spend time trying to work for one while trying to build seniority with the other. Never really planned on doing that, just trying to get all the info I can. Thanks Rich. Oh another question that came up was the IBU class…I heard that they conduct it in the spring, don’t know if you or SF Mariner knows how much time ahead to they give you for that? I’m LEANING towards IBU right now because SF Mariner says they do most of the ferries in the bay and I think it’d be a good fit for me, but curious about the class in that I currently work full time now so I’d like to know ahead of time at least a few weeks so I can get the time off. Something I could probably find out at the hall too but you guys have been super helpful so I’m just gonna keep asking questions. Curious on your opinion of the 2 unions too Rich if you’d care to comment. Thanks for your help

[QUOTE=The Mess;141300]I figured as much, plus after I wrote that I was thinking why would you spend time trying to work for one while trying to build seniority with the other. Never really planned on doing that, just trying to get all the info I can. Thanks Rich. Oh another question that came up was the IBU class…I heard that they conduct it in the spring, don’t know if you or SF Mariner knows how much time ahead to they give you for that? I’m LEANING towards IBU right now because SF Mariner says they do most of the ferries in the bay and I think it’d be a good fit for me, but curious about the class in that I currently work full time now so I’d like to know ahead of time at least a few weeks so I can get the time off. Something I could probably find out at the hall too but you guys have been super helpful so I’m just gonna keep asking questions. Curious on your opinion of the 2 unions too Rich if you’d care to comment. Thanks for your help[/QUOTE]

If you haven’t already signed up on the waiting list at IBU hall, do so. They usually notify people in early spring(late Feb, March) that they are holding a class. Usually they give you a months notice. It’s a 5 day class held at the IBU hall,and yes,it’s on their dime.
I think the IBU has better contracts. MMP has more opportunity to work tugs. I could be wrong, but I don’t think there is a problem signing up with both unions as a casual. Many people I have met do that in order to get enough work opportunity. Once you establish seniority somewhere, that’s a different story.
I was an AB when I joined the IBU which you have to have to work at Foss or Crowley. It sounds like you are just starting out,so will be some time before you can work tugs through the IBU. I believe you can work tugs as an OS through MMP.

Hey thanks again SF Mariner. As soon as I renew my MMC I will go down and sign up. Speaking of which do you or anyone know who does the physicals for MMC application? I just got back from Kaiser this morning and they wouldn’t do it. Some guy in my Personal Survival class back in May said something about there being a mariners clinic in SF that are pretty good and can fill everything out super quick in that they do it all the time. Do you know about this place and what it’s called? Other than that I think that’s all the questions I have at this time, you guys have given me a better idea of how things work, I also plan to call the MM and P regional rep too and just see what he has to say. Thanks man.

[QUOTE=The Mess;141496]Hey thanks again SF Mariner. As soon as I renew my MMC I will go down and sign up. Speaking of which do you or anyone know who does the physicals for MMC application? I just got back from Kaiser this morning and they wouldn’t do it. Some guy in my Personal Survival class back in May said something about there being a mariners clinic in SF that are pretty good and can fill everything out super quick in that they do it all the time. Do you know about this place and what it’s called? Other than that I think that’s all the questions I have at this time, you guys have given me a better idea of how things work, I also plan to call the MM and P regional rep too and just see what he has to say. Thanks man.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn’t wait until you have renewed your MMC to sign up as long as you have it renewed soon. People come into the hall just about every day to sign up, so the fewer people ahead of you on the list is better for your chances of being called. I do know of that clinic,don’t know the name of it. You should be able to get it done at a Concentra Medical center.

Good luck, hope things turn out for you.

Hey thanks man. I just looked up concentra and it looks like you’re right about that, looks like maybe I can take care of the drug testing there too and get it all done in one shot which would be fantastic. Do you know if they only have the 1 class in the spring, or do they have a few? And thanks for the heads up I will get down there and sign up sooner rather than later.

Alright, went down and signed up…I’m in the book! Do you know if all the classes are in the spring? Anything else I should know going into the industry, anything to work on in the winter before the classes start? Also would having my STCW 95 knock me up the list at all because I’m close to finishing that? I was also wondering in regards to tugs in the IBU can you get on one with just AB Special or does it have to be unlimited or limited? It seemed when I went in there the other day that they didn’t fill all the jobs for the day so that seemed like a good sign, and the receptionist actually called someone on the phone to have them get a few hours so it seems like they care. All good signs I was real encouraged going in there so hopefully I can start this career next spring, and join the club!