Can I start a maritime career at my age?

I am 48 years old with a bachelor degree in business. I also have a Commercial pilot license with mult-engine and instrument rating. I flew only as a hobby. I was looking at the maritime college programs for third mate license. This would be a brand new career for me. Will anyone even consider me hiring me at my age (non-military)? I am in good health. Do any of the employers have mandatory retirement, or can I work as many years as I want?

Whats kind of vessels might I work on with this license?

Thanks,
Dave

[QUOTE=Desertwanderer;51485]I am 48 years old with a bachelor degree in business. I also have a Commercial pilot license with mult-engine and instrument rating. I flew only as a hobby. I was looking at the maritime college programs for third mate license. This would be a brand new career for me. Will anyone even consider me hiring me at my age (non-military)? I am in good health. Do any of the employers have mandatory retirement, or can I work as many years as I want?

Whats kind of vessels might I work on with this license?

Thanks,
Dave[/QUOTE]

Take a good look at the Grad license program at SUNY Martime. It is by far the fastest way to get to 3rd mate unlimited. We currently have people in the program older than you. SUNY has 100% employment upon completion of the program.

With a 3rd mate license you can in theory work on anything, but the money is in long hitches on tankers, container ships and LNG carriers.

how old wlll you be next year if yo do not start this year,NEVER to old,just do it

I thought I was going to be the oldest guy when I started SUNY. Being retired from the FDNY and having served in the USCG in my youth I thought I would be in for a rough ride. It turns out I was the youngest of the “old guys”. Most were either downsized or laid off from their jobs and starting a new career. We even had a guy with two masters degrees already (including an MBA) that just wanted a bigger license to stand out from all the 100 ton folks he was competing for jobs with.

Apparently there have been people even older than all of us that have started the undergrad program at SUNY (before they invented grad license). So apparently you are never too old. There is even a WWII Merchant Marine Vet (still sailing) teaching in the Marine Transportation Department. If you think your too old, go see him and hear some sea stories:)

SUNY does [B][U]NOT[/U][/B] have 100% job placement. I wish people would stop saying this.

I was just at SUNY taking an ECDIS class, the WII Merchant Marine Vet you mention was in class with me … you couldn’t meet a nicer guy! Captain Stevens ? I think was his name?

[QUOTE=New3M;51491]SUNY does [B][U]NOT[/U][/B] have 100% job placement. I wish people would stop saying this.[/QUOTE]

I didn’t say job placement. I said employment. If you actually graduate and you don’t drop dead, you will eventually get a job, so SUNY can claim this. However they will not necessarily get your job for you.

The graduate license students always go into the industry, they seem to consistently get better jobs than the undergraduates that come out.

[QUOTE=Flyer69;51495]I was just at SUNY taking an ECDIS class, the WII Merchant Marine Vet you mention was in class with me … you couldn’t meet a nicer guy! Captain Stevens ? I think was his name?[/QUOTE]

Captain Hugh Stevens, look him up or take his classes when you are there. He’s a piece of living history.

[QUOTE=silverbk;51498]Captain Hugh Stevens, look him up or take his classes when you are there. He’s a piece of living history.[/QUOTE]

He’s also a little crazy…and have you met his wife???

[QUOTE=silverbk;51497]I didn’t say job placement. I said employment. If you actually graduate and you don’t drop dead, you will eventually get a job, so SUNY can claim this. However they will not necessarily get your job for you.

The graduate license students always go into the industry, they seem to consistently get better jobs than the undergraduates that come out.[/QUOTE]

Well people keep reading 100% job anything and think that they’re guaranteed a job when they get out of school. I’m hearing they finally took down that ridiculous banner on E&F which is good.

Shouldn’t you be on cruise?

He is… he is currently on a 75 day industry networking, preemployment deployment! I am fairly sure he will be employed upon graduation too! :wink:

He,y thanks for all your input to my question

[QUOTE=New3M;51506]Well people keep reading 100% job anything and think that they’re guaranteed a job when they get out of school. I’m hearing they finally took down that ridiculous banner on E&F which is good.

Shouldn’t you be on cruise?[/QUOTE]

I believe that banner was related to “highest starting salaries in the nation” or similar.

It all depends on how you define employment. If you mean employment afloat in the shipping industry, that’s entirely a different matter than someone that graduates, takes a year to hike Europe and then gets a gig at Petco. But hey, even Petco is employment.