Is it too late?

Hi, I am new to the boards and have a few questions about a new career. I am on the final legs of a circumnavigation on my sailboat that has taken quite a bit more time than expected. The trip began with four partners but for the last 5 years I have been on my own. Time has slipped away because of needing to stop and work for extended periods when the bank account gets too low.

The thought of settling down on land scares the hell out of me and I want to pursue a career on the water. I have extensive experience on sailboats, am mechanically inclined and regimented about my work. Here’s my question: At 34 years old (which I will be when returning), realistically, is too late to attend one of the Academies, get my 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Mates license and make a career on the water? From what I can tell now, that would be a more realistic route than coming up through the hawsepipe.

I have a bachelor’s degree already, so I would be looking to go into a program like SUNY’s M.Sc. with license option. It would be an intense few years but I could be out and looking for work at age 37. Does anyone break into the industry at that age? Paying my dues and putting in my time is expected but what would the timeframe be for moving up to someone in my position? I would be eligible to take the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] mate’s after a 360 sea days but that’s not realistic and I don’t have any illusions about shooting up the ladder. I want to work deep sea or offshore with the possibility of moving onshore in 10-15 years.

I have my TWIC and STCW95 but no other tickets. It won’t help much with what I want to but, upon returning, I will take the exam and get my 100 ton Master because I will have more than enough qualifying sea time.

Has anyone on the boards made a career change or begun this line of work later in life and have any advice to offer? I welcome any thoughts on my situation from anyone and thanks for any input.

You have enough time left to make a career out of it, no doubt. Get home, get studying, and in a couple of years you can join MSC and never see home again. Cheers and enjoy

Go for it!

Never too late! I’ve met guys who changed careers to this in their 40s and 50s.

You should absolutely go for that program. You definitely won’t be the only one that’s “older”. You’ll probably have the best stories though.

Sail your boat to Fort Lauderdale. Dock it behind someones house and go walk the docks for a deckhand spot. You will make 3-5000 a month and gain seatime. Fit in your schooling and upgrade to mate and captain within a year. Marry your 20yo South African Stew send her to chefs school. Keep your lifestyle…working commercial sucks…basically.

I’ve had deckhands that had retired and gotten bored with playing golf get their OS and start working their way up the hawse. You’re definitely not too old man. It’s a lousy time in the Gulf but there are opportunities in many other places still if you look for them. Go for it.

34 is absolutely not too old for an academy. They come in all shapes and sizes and at 34 you would more than fit in. Don’t set your bar too low, you would have nothing but opportunities in this industry at your stage of the game.

[QUOTE=Knots;164138]Sail your boat to Fort Lauderdale. Dock it behind someones house and go walk the docks for a deckhand spot. You will make 3-5000 a month and gain seatime. Fit in your schooling and upgrade to mate and captain within a year. Marry your 20yo South African Stew send her to chefs school. Keep your lifestyle…working commercial sucks…basically.[/QUOTE]

While I am into the 20yo stewie part, working on someone else’s yacht sounds like nails on a chalkboard to me. I sail for my own enjoyment and mixing business, terrible owners, uppity guests and ditzy crew, with pleasure, what I like to do on MY time, is something that I won’t do. It seems that the commercial schedule would allow me to maintain some semblance of the life I have been living with long periods of time off while keeping me on the water where I am at home.

That brings me to another question. I would like to work my tail off for a few years after returning, I am tired of being broke and will have some things to pay off, namely student loans. Is it possible or likely to work nearly continuous contracts or does the nature of the system generally mean time on, equal time off? I would be more interested in gaining experience and staying employed than having a very desirable position.

[QUOTE=Knots;164138]Keep your lifestyle…working commercial sucks…basically.[/QUOTE]

To the contrary, working commercially can be a good way to go. Where else can you work only half (or two-thirds) of the year, and have large blocks of time off?

I’m 27 and starting at Maine Maritime this fall. Honestly, i feel a bit uncomfortable with the age gap between me and the rest of the oncoming students, since most come straight out of high school. I was a Quartermaster in the navy so I already have enough experience to know this career is something that I have passion for and won’t just quit when it gets tough. Wish some day i get he chance to circumnavigate the world on a sailboat. Best of luck, hope you make the best decision for yourself.

There’s a guy who works at my company in his late 70s. You’re a young buck compared to that old relic.

What’s his story? Late bloomer or just an old salt who’s sailed all his life and is too afraid of the beach to come ashore?

lots of them out there…some don’t have a dime to retire with. Gambling, mostly.

[QUOTE=z-drive;164194]lots of them out there…some don’t have a dime to retire with. Gambling, mostly.[/QUOTE]

The few guys I know that are that age still working are doing it because they are raising their grandkids.

[QUOTE=obelisk;164165]That brings me to another question. I would like to work my tail off for a few years after returning, I am tired of being broke and will have some things to pay off, namely student loans. Is it possible or likely to work nearly continuous contracts or does the nature of the system generally mean time on, equal time off? I would be more interested in gaining experience and staying employed than having a very desirable position.[/QUOTE]

If you get on with MSC you can stay on the boat as long as you like. Just never put in for a relief, they’ll be grateful to not have to tell you no.

Definitely get your 2M as soon as you have the sea time for it (no test needed) so you can start clocking time for your CM, whether you get promoted or not isn’t an issue.