Age...and getting into a Maritime Academy?

Hi,
New to the forum, but like what i’ve read so far. Very helpful information.

Thinking of making a career change and considering a Maritime Academy. I really like the looks of programs like the ‘Workboat Mates Program’ as its all done at one time.

But my question…am I too old at 34? During and upon completion of the program, would I have issues with employers hiring me?

Thanks!
Gabe

I know Maine people that have gone back at anywhere from 25-45. All depends on what you wanna do. I do recommend just getting the unlimited license and Maine offers a great class on towing that will get your toar done and have you graduating as mate of towing…only school that has a tug barge unit!

I went to school with a few late 40’s guys who had no trouble getting work.

[QUOTE=spidersonboats;55758]Hi,…But my question…am I too old at 34? During and upon completion of the program, would I have issues with employers hiring me?

Thanks!
Gabe[/QUOTE]

Goll I hope not… I better hang it up if they do…lol

[QUOTE=crudeman89;55759]I know Maine people that have gone back at anywhere from 25-45. All depends on what you wanna do. I do recommend just getting the unlimited license and Maine offers a great class on towing that will get your toar done and have you graduating as mate of towing…only school that has a tug barge unit![/QUOTE]

Are you referring to the Maine Maritime Academy?

Yes he is and I agree. Get your 3rd unlimited and your toar. And Maine has a great program.

Gabe,
You are still a young pup!!!

Our chosen career seems to be a dieing profession, at least for U.S. mariners, as far as the industry in general is concerned age has no relevance. Kids today don’t want to be away from their cell phones, facebook, etc. for more than a few hours. If you have the proper documentation/license you can find work. Many of my company’s AB’s are in their 40’s or older. I am getting ready to try to jump to drillships at 50, I hope my words to you ring true for me!!!
Good Luck

At GLMA we have a lot of guys in there 40’s and 50’s, even one guy who is 60 this year.

[QUOTE=cajuntugster;55780]Gabe,
You are still a young pup!!!

Our chosen career seems to be a dieing profession…[/QUOTE]

Well I am glad I am still a young pup!!!

Another point of clarification, when you said a dieing profession; did you just mean that young people are not entering the industry much these days? Or that it is an industry with not much of a future? (I think the first, but hey, just want to be clear)

Texas has a 3rd mate option for those with degrees that can be done in 3 years

Ya, I already have a bachelors in mechanical engineering. Thus I probably wouldn’t want to back to university for 4 years. I have been looking at the Workboat Mate Program; but I will look into Texas more.

i got out in 2.5 years and didnt already have a degree. met a guy who originally graduated in 88 who just joined TMA and has to do the whole Corps bs. You arent going to get a 3rd Unlimited anywhere other than an academy. Good thing about Texas is you would be in Victor company and its pretty lax for those guys.

I’m in victor co. It’s a joke, I have to wear a uniform and show up to formation Monday and wednesday that’s it. I considered workboat and almost signed a contract, I’m glad I chose TMA it’s a state university unlike a trade school. It is closer to my home, better environment, and I will obtain a higher license.

SUNY Maritime has a graduate program where you can get a MS in business and a 3rd unlimited. That is your best option.

Don’t feel bad i’m 35 an I’m juz gettin my documents… Hope I’m not to old going in as an entry-level @ my age…

So for those of you currently in University type of programs, how have you felt the job prospects to be? How about the class just ahead of you, are they getting decent jobs?

[QUOTE=spidersonboats;55847]So for those of you currently in University type of programs, how have you felt the job prospects to be? How about the class just ahead of you, are they getting decent jobs?[/QUOTE]

Im in my 2nd year at GLMA, the guys that all graduated in May have found jobs, Maybe not their dream job, but a decent job that is paying off their student loans and providing for their families. The 20 Deck guys getting ready to write their license in January and graduate in May are kinda wondering what its gonna be like next year. Some have offers lined up with companies on the Lakes, another one with AMH, another with OSG and others are consdiering joining AMO or MM&P. MSC hired 3 grads last year and they all quit after one hitch, so theres a few openings potentially.

My hope is with the election next year, hopefully “Drill baby Drill” goes into full effect and when I graduate in January 2014 I can get a good job in the gulf.

Thats my outlook and knowledge as of right now.

[QUOTE=spidersonboats;55795]Ya, I already have a bachelors in mechanical engineering.[/QUOTE]

If your degree is from an ABET accredited university, go sail as a wiper for 180 days, spend a few months prepping for and then submit to test for 3rd Assitant Engineer. Not sure if your stuck on being a deck officer but engineers make some damn good money and seems there is always jobs posted.

here is the checklist for 3rd A/E

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/checklists/MCP-FM-NMC5-18%203rd%20AE.pdf?list2=checklists%2FMCP-FM-NMC5-18+3rd+AE.pdf&B1=GO!