Can I be treated for ADHD while working?

Hi everyone.
I have read these forums for years but never posted anything until now.
I have been working on tugs/barges for almost 20 years and have been previously diagnosed with ADHD.
I know that treatment would help me in all aspects of my life but I’m fearful that my company and/or coast guard would not allow any medications such as adderal or vyvanse.

Can anyone help shed light on my options?

I have managed well at work but not so well at home. The distinction is that while I’m at work, I am so immersed (not literally) with the sea that it’s all I can focus on. I love working and put great effort into being the ideal shipmate but when I am home I am a scattered mess and partner.
Thank you for any advice in advance.

1 Like

It honestly depends on your company. I was diagnosed while in elementary school so I have been taking Ritalin forever. I only had one company that restricted the use of it and was put on a non stimulate. Does not work as good but was somewhat effective. I would highly recommend treating it as it makes a huge difference for me especially as a bridge officer. My doctor works with my schedule and I am required to visit him every 90 days. The USCG had no issue with it as long as it is documented. When I applied for my unlimited license the coast guard did request a letter from my doctor stating all the details of my diagnosis. Hope this helps.

1 Like

See pages 23-17 to 23-22, or better, take it to your doctor and discuss your options.

1 Like

You do not have to tell anyone at work about your ADHD. You may feel restless or unable to concentrateADA includes ADHD as a visual disability. In a job with ADHD, the action may require the employer to provide adequate accommodation, as long as it does not create unnecessary difficulties for the business.
People with ADHD get help in medicine, treatment, or both. There are also organizational strategies you can learn from a coach or therapist who works in the workplace and then practice. To work effectively with ADHD you should work on the listed point.
Write it down ( if you have any priority task to do)
Try to be buddy up- Work with a manager or colleague
get an assistant or intern to take care of the small details
Find a quiet place to work
Practice relaxation techniques they might help you concentrate on your task
get yourself an award in terms of relaxation or anything which makes you happy and less stressed
so these all tips can help you to work efficiently with ADHD.