Can I be treated for ADHD while working?

Hi everyone.
I have read these forums for years but never posted anything until now.
I have been working on tugs/barges for almost 20 years and have been previously diagnosed with ADHD.
I know that treatment would help me in all aspects of my life but I’m fearful that my company and/or coast guard would not allow any medications such as adderal or vyvanse.

Can anyone help shed light on my options?

I have managed well at work but not so well at home. The distinction is that while I’m at work, I am so immersed (not literally) with the sea that it’s all I can focus on. I love working and put great effort into being the ideal shipmate but when I am home I am a scattered mess and partner.
Thank you for any advice in advance.

1 Like

It honestly depends on your company. I was diagnosed while in elementary school so I have been taking Ritalin forever. I only had one company that restricted the use of it and was put on a non stimulate. Does not work as good but was somewhat effective. I would highly recommend treating it as it makes a huge difference for me especially as a bridge officer. My doctor works with my schedule and I am required to visit him every 90 days. The USCG had no issue with it as long as it is documented. When I applied for my unlimited license the coast guard did request a letter from my doctor stating all the details of my diagnosis. Hope this helps.

1 Like

See pages 23-17 to 23-22, or better, take it to your doctor and discuss your options.

1 Like