Can anyone tell me about Seastreak?

I met someone who works at seastreak and gave him a resume, they just called me back today and I am going next week for an interview for an engineer or deckhand (both entry level obviously).

Does anyone know anything about starting pay, working hours, is it unionized, etc. Any and all info is appreciated. Thanks!

I don’t know specifically about this company, but in general these sub 100 ton boats are not a living wage. May be OK to get your foot in the door, or in the industry but not as a long term job. Companies like this usually only have a select few who get year round, full benefits, and decent work schedules. Everyone else gets the left overs.

Which seastreak? NY or MV? Worlds of difference. NY commuters are typical stuck up assholes who want to use you as a servant and maid.

The MV commuters are more vacationers and are better quality.

BUT… Both involve passengers. I did this small boat thing for several years when I was a teenager. Then I went back and filled in as Master for a couple dozen trips a year. Not any more.

On a different (but related) note:
All these small tonnage jobs pay minimal, have minimal benefits, and it is usually a bitch getting full time, living wages and hours. Although I have a somewhat jaded view of this type of employment, I have observed a ‘different’ type of marine professional on these boats. Not bad, not better, just different. Most who do work on these type vessels are pigeon holed into this type of limited tonnage, limited prospects for advancement. The key here is, the seatime on these vessels allows you to get a 100 ton license. To progress higher you need time on vessels OVER 100 ton. So these people invariably have to leave these type of jobs and work back as a deckhand aboard larger vessels. That is a humbling thing to do, having to work as deckhand after having worked as Captain! Most guys have a hard time to take this step backwards.

Well I am trying to get to get to AB OSV or limited or QMED. Would taking an engineering position be bad? Do they even have engineers? I was told they do. And I haven’t met yet, interview is tomorrow, but over the phone it sounds like I could take my pick, I live in NYC area so I’d probably do that route, I even considered moving to highlands, my girlfriends dad knows a guy who owns a fishing boat in the area, just a cheap charter boat, but would take me anytime i’m available to help which would get me some more seatime. I am just trying to get as much sea time as possible so I can become more than an OS and hopefully break into the OSV world in some capacity. Ideally tugs but it seems OSV is hiring more than anything else.

These are the vessel specs if it means anything. Doesn’t have tonnage.

[TABLE=“width: 100%”]

Type:
High speed passenger ferry.

Built By:
Gladding-Hearn Shipbuilding, Somerset, Massachusetts

Length:
140.7 feet

Breadth:
34.22 feet

Draught:
6.43 feet

Capacity:
405 passengers and crew

Entered Service:
Seastreak New York - May 4, 2001
Seastreak New Jersey - December 11 2001
Seastreak Wall Street - September 2003
Seastreak Highlands - March 2004

Decks:
Three: two interior and one exterior with Lexan wind deflectors

Amenities:
Automatic doors at amidship and bow for seamless boarding and disembarking Heated decks and ramps Three restrooms Full Bar (spirits, soft drinks, snacks and continental breakfast)

Service Speed:
38 knots

Maximum Speed:
42 knots

Main Engines:
(4) Cummins KTA50M2

Propulsion Power:
7500 bhp

Propulsion Units:
(4) Kamewa A50 waterjets

[/TABLE]

If your alternative is the unemployment line then take any job. Just be aware that this is just a stepping stone to a better job.

well that is exactly what I am looking at this as, a stepping stone to get something on a resume, i’m having a hard time finding anything better at the moment and am concerned about seatime and that’s it. obviously I would prefer it on a big boat but I do not have that option on the table, 3 ferry companies though have gotten back to me.