C/m assessments

What’s the word on the 2017 policy on whether or not the C/M assessments will be valid? Can they knock you down to 2nd Mate if you don’t have the approved classes? I’m fine either way, but if I can save a few grand, I’ll take that route.

I think we are waiting on the new CFR revisions to formally come out that say whether they are even requiring the classes again or not. If it has been published I haven’t seen it yet.

On another note, has anyone on here done all the CM assessments entirely on an OSV?

Its impossible to do all the cm assessments on any vessel. And I would question anyone who said they did.

[QUOTE=“PDCMATE;110127”]

Its impossible to do all the cm assessments on any vessel. And I would question anyone who said they did.[/QUOTE]

Why do you say that?

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;110128]Why do you say that?[/QUOTE]

Well, I will back pedal a little bit. But, some of the assessments, such as turning vessel with tug assist, dragging anchor, most of the ones that should be done in advanced shiphandling, can not be done on many vessels. I am seeing rig guys hand in all assessments checked off, and they are on a rig?? I truly believe that some of the classes should be completed, especially Adv. Shiphandling, Adv. Stability, VPEN/ECDIS, Adv. Ship Management and ADV Meter. If anyone thinks all of these new Mates are truly doing these assessments, than we are really going to see some serious incidents later on.

Can all classes be taken in lieu of assessments or sign offs are a requirement ?

You can do just the classes. Depending on where you do the classes you may still have to have a few of the control sheets signed off on a vessel. I did them all at the STAR Center and their course approvals included all control sheet assessments.

[QUOTE=Captnstabn;110123]…Can they knock you down to 2nd Mate if you don’t have the approved classes?[/QUOTE]

The Coast Guard does not have authority to “knock you down.” While the Coast Guard can suspend or revoke a license, it usually requires an act of negligence acting under the authority of a license.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;110124]I think we are waiting on the new CFR revisions to formally come out that say whether they are even requiring the classes again or not. If it has been published I haven’t seen it yet.[/QUOTE]

They have not been published. The rulemaking was placed on DHS’s “Regulatory Agenda” with target publication of April, 2013.

[QUOTE=ATB2N2;110148]Can all classes be taken in lieu of assessments or sign offs are a requirement ?[/QUOTE]

There’s no current requirement to take classes other than those in the CFR which you probably already took for OICNW. But, some classes are approcved to substitute for specific, identifed assessments. If you choose carefully, you can get many, but not all, done in courses. The specific aassessments are identified in the approval given to the course. However, this information is no longer avilable on the NMC web page.

So as of now, as a 2nd Mate I can submit the required assessments and be approved to test without any classes?

can someone post a link to these assessments i need to get them all printed out, and if i get something signed off how long is that signature or assessment valid for?

[QUOTE=Third Coast;110182]can someone post a link to these assessments i need to get them all printed out, and if i get something signed off how long is that signature or assessment valid for?[/QUOTE]

Really? Your a second mate, and you can’t go on the NMC website and find the assessments? Some people are so lazy and want everything handed to them, the quality of mariners is starting to decline.

[QUOTE=PDCMATE;110184]Really? Your a second mate, and you can’t go on the NMC website and find the assessments? Some people are so lazy and want everything handed to them, the quality of mariners is starting to decline.[/QUOTE]

SSSSShhh. That’s the double secret extra assessment for knowledge of and ability to locate relevant policy.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;110187]SSSSShhh. That’s the double secret extra assessment for knowledge of and ability to locate relevant policy.[/QUOTE]

LOL. Zinger.

[QUOTE=PDCMATE;110133]Well, I will back pedal a little bit. But, some of the assessments, such as turning vessel with tug assist, dragging anchor, most of the ones that should be done in advanced shiphandling, can not be done on many vessels. I am seeing rig guys hand in all assessments checked off, and they are on a rig?? I truly believe that some of the classes should be completed, especially Adv. Shiphandling, Adv. Stability, VPEN/ECDIS, Adv. Ship Management and ADV Meter. If anyone thinks all of these new Mates are truly doing these assessments, than we are really going to see some serious incidents later on.[/QUOTE]

Ya because all the CM courses I went to were so valuable that I will be better off suited for CM or Master… I dont know who wanted to get out of class earlier more me or the teacher. And what does the ship handling course have much relevance to me running my drillship. In the rare case that I ever maneuver a ship to a dock my ship will not act like a traditional single screw ship. I am better of suited taking more DP courses… I do agree the courses are good. However, there are so many classes and types of ships and the quality of some of these courses are so poor that I don’t think anyone can say that people who don’t take these courses are more liable to have an incident. You can learn as much or as little as you want on any ship. It is just up to the person’s professionalism or willingness to do the job correctly and safely that is going to prevent an incident.

And how can one get every assessment signed off on a drilling rig?

Pencil.
Whip.

Exactly. And more dp classes? From what I understand those are $4000 waste of time.

[QUOTE=PDCMATE;110285]And how can one get every assessment signed off on a drilling rig?[/QUOTE]

You can’t get Chief Mate if your only time is on a MODU, see 46 CFR 11.211©:

© Service on mobile offshore drilling units is creditable for raise of grade of officer endorsement. Evidence of one year’s service as mate or equivalent while holding a license as third mate, or as engineering officer of the watch or equivalent while holding an officer endorsement or license as third assistant engineer, is acceptable for a raise of grade to second mate or second assistant engineer, respectively; however, any subsequent raises of grade of unlimited, nonrestricted officer licenses or endorsements must include a minimum of six months of service on conventional vessels.

If it is on a DP rig, you can advance up to Masters.