Busy in the northeast

Just about finished with a three week hitch aboard an oil tug/barge unit in the northeast. Its time to go home! We haven’t stopped all hitch. Busy as hell! Seems like everyone else is pretty busy as well. A welcome sight after the past several years.

Lots of home heating oil for the winter?

We’re moving gas and I have 3 units ahead of me at the dock.

Not sure about heating oil. Its actually finally starting to get warm so not sure if much is being burned at this stage of the game. We are moving black oil and have one unit ahead of us at the dock. This is our 9th job of the hitch which is pretty damn busy for a barge our size. The tanker-men have been crying! Cant wait to crew change!

Same here. We spend more time waiting on dock space then anything. Humping gas up the North River & yes the tankermen are crying.

[QUOTE=Tugted;136018]Same here. We spend more time waiting on dock space then anything. Humping gas up the North River & yes the tankermen are crying.[/QUOTE]

Our trip is on day 9. We got pushed out on the load because the terminal ran out of product and now they’re taking everyone else ahead of us. We should be in at the dock tonight, it’ll be nice to be off anchor watch.

Good news! I’ll be up there looking for work in August.

[QUOTE=desertrat85;136116]Good news! I’ll be up there looking for work in August.[/QUOTE]

Good luck with that. Where were you thinking of looking?

[QUOTE=Tugboater203;136177]Good luck with that. Where were you thinking of looking?[/QUOTE]

I will be staying with a friend in brooklyn without a car so pretty much limited to New York Harbor.

Just call vane brothers

Take the subway to the Staten Island ferry dock at Battery Park. Take the ferry over to SI. Catch a cab down Richmond Terrace a little ways, there you will find: Moran, McAllister, Kirby, and Rienauer. Theres a bunch of other tug companies near by as well.

Your best bet is to call ahead. You can hit 90% of the NY based tug companys right off the bus on Richmond terrace. I know Reinauer doesnt take walk ins.

Reinauer only hires ABs with licenses too. Definitely call ahead there. Richmond Terrace isn’t like it used to be but it’s still the main concentration of NY based tug companies.

Thx for the info guys!