Moran Offshore fleet. Info needed

Hello everybody,

I was recently contacted by Moran that they have openings in their offshore fleet, mainly in the Gulf, and that they would pay to and from a major airport. I was hoping to get a job in NY harbor as that is where my last job was and I enjoyed it a lot. I never worked for Moran and do not know much about their offshore fleet. I am coming here to ask if anybody has any information they could give me. The said schedule is 3 weeks on/3 off. I just recently got my 3rd Mate license so I am hoping to get my foot in the door in that regard. Tell me what I need to know GCaptain! Or tell me that I found a good job!

-Smee

I’m up in NY Harbor and the NorthEast. Moran is one of the better tug companies. You should try and apply at Reinauer. Go through 333 and ask for Ron Tucker. If you’re not into that, then I would take the spot at Moran offshore. …better than nothing. Pm me if I can help.

1 Like

Maybe someone who’s there right now can set the rumors straight…? Are the guys paying their own way to the boat from NYC…?

Yes. However, you can submit a travel claim to the captain for approval.

[QUOTE=BargeMonkey;122624]Maybe someone who’s there right now can set the rumors straight…? Are the guys paying their own way to the boat from NYC…?[/QUOTE]

Wow and I thought the EVIL EMPIRE was the only place with shenanigans, such as that?

The harbor career OS’s drove that change so they could get a bigger raise I reckon. OS controlled company from why I hear/remember.

Most miserable job you will ever have. Odds are you will be working on an ATB, the Mary Ann. They can’t keep a crew on there because you will be sailing under the worst Captain I have ever come across in my career. The crew is on a constant rotation because no one will stay. I left there nearly two years ago and will never go back. You will be basically be taking my job that has already been filled twice since I left. And to top it off after you leave you will never be able to get a sea time letter from Moran, never.
If you’re looking for a job as a mate I would consider OSV’s which will pay far more than you will make over there with a much better experience.

Lolz run into a handful of guys who passed through that rig. Sounds truly miserable.

[QUOTE=BoatDrivahh;122655]Most miserable job you will ever have. Odds are you will be working on an ATB, the Mary Ann. They can’t keep a crew on there because you will be sailing under the worst Captain I have ever come across in my career. The crew is on a constant rotation because no one will stay. I left there nearly two years ago and will never go back. You will be basically be taking my job that has already been filled twice since I left. And to top it off after you leave you will never be able to get a sea time letter from Moran, never.
If you’re looking for a job as a mate I would consider OSV’s which will pay far more than you will make over there with a much better experience.[/QUOTE]

I had an assistant engineer who came over to my company from that boat. I don’t know if he even finished a whole hitch on her. It was clear that he left because he wasn’t happy there but I didn’t get too many details other than that. No mention of Richie Phillips working as captain… It’s a shame to hear that such a good company has such a bad apple in it. Do they ever have openings on other ATB’s? I think I have a friend who went over as 2nd mate on the Barney recently but I’m not sure about that.

From what I’ve heard about other ATB’s working in New York is that things are fairly good. It’s local 333 though.
It’s a shame because it’s a great boat. But steer clear unless you enjoy misery and starving to death.

[QUOTE=BoatDrivahh;122678]From what I’ve heard about other ATB’s working in New York is that things are fairly good. It’s local 333 though.
It’s a shame because it’s a great boat. But steer clear unless you enjoy misery and starving to death.[/QUOTE]

If this is such an obvious problem what is the company’s incentive to keep him in the cushy little spot he’s got now? Why don’t they move him to some puny little rust bucket assist tug in some god forsaken harbor somewhere? As far as I can tell the ATB’s are the big money makers. If they weren’t then why would companies be investing the hundreds of millions of dollars that they are in that area? It’s hard to justify having such a bad captain on such an important and lucrative assignment.

BoatDrivahh, having worked with the man what’s your take on this?

We confronted the operations manager and Vice President so many times about the terrible morale due to grub money theft and horrible leadership and they kept saying they would “deal with it.” It’s been two years and nothing has changed. The company is ridiculous for letting it go on the way it has.
If he weren’t there I might still be working there. It’s a great boat on a great run, it just doesn’t have the trifecta with a solid crew.
But believe me we’ve tried to express our feelings but it went without consequence. It’s really just a waste of a good thing. ATB’s are a great place to work that gives you the ship like experience with a boat like schedule.

Makes you shake your head when you read about shit like that still going on. With the GOM surpassing NY based wages you would have thought the companies would do everything they can to retain qualified crew.

I heard the Joan Moran needs a mate also. That boat has lost at least one mate since they stopped paying travel. So be careful, if you’re expecting an ATB you might be heading for an old wire boat towing a bulk barge instead.

I wish I could get back to the wire. These ATB’s are super boring. Wire people are better boat handlers anyway…and deckhands are more skilled than atb deckhands.

Rotate… rotate… extend… retract… rotate… extend… you know you love it…

Alot of people will be quitting Moran because of the travel.

Couldn’t agree more. Theirs alot more skill involved in everyones job On a wireboat when compared to an ATB. The Joan Moran is a Heidi class boat built by McDermott. Moran has 5-6 of these and they’re big beautiful conventional wire boats. They ride great, have plenty of horse power and huge rudders.

That boat was notorious for assholes too, if I recall correctly

The Joan had some of coonasses on the there, Malco Guidry.