Brass/Bronze Polishing

I recall once a mate soaking brass/bronze firehose nozzles in a 5-gallon bucket and they came out all bright and shiny but I can’t for the life of me remember what he soaked them in. It wasn’t Brass-o or anything like that, I just can’t remember what it was! Whatever it was I think it was mixed with water but I’m not sure. Does anyone have any idea what might work for an immersion polishing?

a co-worker of mine uses ospho/rustpho and water. could be another secret ingredient mixed in too. I do know most of it was ospho at least.

Muriatic acid?

Purple Kool-Aid or Coke?

Mountain Dew is even more acidic

I heard ketchup does the trick

Yeah Kool Aid (bug juice) is the trick. We did this in the Navy and was the easiest hands off way to get it done. Use unsweetened…

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;164339]I recall once a mate soaking brass/bronze firehose nozzles in a 5-gallon bucket and they came out all bright and shiny but I can’t for the life of me remember what he soaked them in. It wasn’t Brass-o or anything like that, I just can’t remember what it was! Whatever it was I think it was mixed with water but I’m not sure. Does anyone have any idea what might work for an immersion polishing?[/QUOTE]

Use CLR 50% Strength. Rinse w/fresh water, dry and use silicone grease to coat. Pour the mix back into container and re-use.