Blog videos

I believe that gCaptain deserves tremendous credit for not joining the ever-widening crew who pollute videos posted on their blogs with ever-mnore prentious adverts and other commercial statements.

There are few things more annoying than clicking to start a video, and then having to watch a minute of somne crass commercial activity before viewing the video.

My only action when forced to view one of the multitude of advert snips is simply to swear to never, ever, buying anything which was seen advertised on a blog video.

Once again, congrats to gCaptain for keeping adverts in their rightful place, and off the maritime videos placed on your estimable blogsite!

I agree but this isn’t a blog however…rather it is a forum. There is a difference you know

John did start YOUblog way back in 2009 but it never took off basically because I believe a blog requires a single person to maintain and add to it continuously for it to be relevant and actively read. John was hoping in starting it that it would be added to by the members but nobody took him up on that one myself included. I started my own blog back in 2008 for the foreign mariner issue in the GoM but never kept adding to it which is a failing on my part however to be an active blogger requires a lot of work and dedication. I am much more happy to post to the forum instead and like to be active in it daily (to the disdain of many here I am sure). It just ends up being far easier to present topics relevant to the day and get participation from the greatest number of fellow mariners in discussing these important issues which concern us all here.

I think he was referring to the main gCaptain page. You know. Jon referenced it a little while back. Said something about maritime news on it or something like that.

You guys are killing me. http://gcaptain.com/

gCaptain, the most trusted name in Maritime News. Actually I was on the YouBlog thing just now and remembered the “Ask Captain Anonymous” thread. Some of the best humour I’ve read all week. And some posters I haven’t seen in a while.

[QUOTE=Mikey;139906]You guys are killing me.[/QUOTE]

but the main page for gCaptain is not a blog either…it is a digest of maritime news. It’s not a web log (ie. blog).

[QUOTE=Mikey;139906]You guys are killing me. http://gcaptain.com/[/QUOTE]

I actually did know about the main page, but this is truly the first time I am hearing of a blog page. I went back to the main page and looked for a link or something and find nothing. I did manage to get to it by following this post up its parent directory to find a link there to http://gcaptain.com/maritime/blog/.

Maybe a link in the buttons on the main page or something would help.

Several damn good forum members have faded away throughout the years.

[QUOTE=grandpa1940;139863]I believe that gCaptain deserves tremendous credit for not joining the ever-widening crew who pollute videos posted on their blogs with ever-mnore prentious adverts and other commercial statements.

There are few things more annoying than clicking to start a video, and then having to watch a minute of somne crass commercial activity before viewing the video.

My only action when forced to view one of the multitude of advert snips is simply to swear to never, ever, buying anything which was seen advertised on a blog video.

Once again, congrats to gCaptain for keeping adverts in their rightful place, and off the maritime videos placed on your estimable blogsite![/QUOTE]

As someone who is increasingly annoyed by youtoob ads, I do have to say that while I agree with your essential message, your aim is a bit off.

Youtoob adds those messages, as far as I can tell. I can’t vouch for other video sources, like Liveleak, but Youtoob is def. maxed up with adverts.

I dunno how to be rid of those, as I have a thread in Scuttlebutt for music and other vids and the ads are a real bring-down.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Mikey;139906]You guys are killing me. http://gcaptain.com/[/QUOTE]

Not yet, my friend.