Best Needlegun

Needle guns are no longer used in Europe (except for a few short exposure time duties <15 mins) due to hand/ arm vibration issues. The preferred method is ultra high pressure water blasting. Surprised that the Coast Guard still condones there usage

Are wire wheels still used in Europe?

Discourage due hand arm vibration issues and the fact the wires fire off in all directions. Flap wheels are now used but with hand arm vibration time limits etc -serious amount of paperwork involved too!

Ultra high pressure water sounds great. How do you control flash rust?

With a wire wheel…

Also, pressure washers work great, but you still have to go in and feather in the area with a wire wheel or flap disc. Can’t just blast and then paint.

So you are polishing the steel and wonder why it doesn’t stick? Flap discs or sanding discs are good, wire wheels are not. Another method to deal with flash rust is to use rust inhibitors either in the blast water or the rinse immediately after.

Sticks just fine. We also use flap discs. Depends on what it needs.

Good primer and feathering makes a difference in appearance of the work performed before final coat. Never wanted to look like a spotted goat pulling into port or being vetted by a potential new customer.

The water blasters are incredibly productive, but in my experience have a lot of breakdowns if not well maintained and stored out of the elements. Typical European innovation right, works really well with whole hog buy in and not at all if you half ass the systems that support it.

1 Like

Used a waterblaster many years ago when in tankers. I can’t remember the manufacturer but I think it had ceramic pistons. Part of the PEP gear were these armoured overshoes. The waterblaster took the surface back to bare steel and it was warm and dried almost immediately. We sprayed primer immediately after.
With a new building I would like to see a riding crew join on a ship’s maiden voyage that was properly trained applying coatings and build up the inadequate paint structure on departure from the yard.

Cleco. Oil daily if you don’t have an inline oiler, ours are used year round with zero issues.

The Gearbulk ships had a high pressure waterblaster mounted in a compartment with plug in plumbed system on deck. A high capacity airless sprayer had a docking station in the same compartment. There was also a hot pressure wash unit for the accomodation block. It saved a fortune in paint.
The Philipino crew were well trained in the use of the equipment at the Norwegian training centre at Manila.

1 Like

What I’ve seen is using disks for large flat areas, the wire wheel for feathering and welds etc. If polishing of the steel surface is a concern then the surface can be roughed up with sandpaper.

So now we will have blind sailors instead of deaf ones.

2 Likes

My first chuckle of the day.

As far as I’m concerned there is no such thing as a “best needle gun”, I hate all of them and that other device called a knuckle buster. As a young seaman in the Navy I was sure that these tools were invented to punish a deck hand that had a hangover after a great night ashore on liberty.

2 Likes

Chicago Pneumatic and Red Rooster used to be good. There are lots of bad ones, even from major brands. Failure mode is hammer bore wearing out, I assume due to metallurgical problems.

Not sure what you are referring to as “Knuckle Buster”, but have an idea. Had three/four teardrop shaped wheels/teeth that rotated on the end. Knocked out heavy rust, followed by a needle gun to get the pits. I used a milk crate to sit on and worked it with my feet. Those quarter/half moon passes were classic. Just had to move the milk crate from time to time. Don’t forget the rubber bands on your pants legs. As a deckie way back when, had to improvise.

The knuckle buster we had was oval shape with 3 pins that hammered the steel real fast. It was actually hard to hang on to. People pay good money t get that kind of upper body & arm massage.

1 Like