Best Gas Detector?

I have to order a portable gas detector for tank entries. Any suggestions which are best?

I use an MSA Watchman gas detector with a 60’ hose at the tank top and clip a MSA Altair along with a PASS device to my belt.

I really like the Altair but am looking to replace the MSA watchman with something newer… probably the Industrial Scientific M40 with the 3-in-one easy calibration center[img]http://www.assoc-amazon.com/e/ir?t=gcaptaincom-20&l=ur2&o=1" border=“0” width=“1” height=“1” />.

Calibration centers are the way to go. My vessel has half of the valves in voids and my company requires a documented bump test before every use. If you have to bump test often and jump in and out of a lot of tanks, I recomend anything that has a single button calibration system. MSA has the Galaxy Test System. It is only available for their Solaris Multigas
Detector, Orion Multigas Detector, Sirius Multigas Detector, ALTAIR
Single-gas Detector and ALTAIR Pro Single-gas Detectors. Lumidor also has a single action tester called the enforcer for their impact pro models. Turns a 25 minute ordeal into a 5 minute one to test meters. But there are at least 1 to 2 entries a day on board, so it saves a lot of time. Personal belt detectors are also a great idea as john said. I don’t go in without them.

<strong>Guest:</strong>

Rae Systems, MultiRae Plus, Multiple-Gas Monitor is the only way to fly. Comes standard with the normal 4 gas array but also has a PID sensor. Has datalogging capabilities and is very user friendly, most marine chemists I know use this meter.

Best to use for tank entrys is a EntryRAE, it is an instrument with 4 gasses and a PID sensor. So then you are always safe!
Besides that it is cheap and more important it is also cheap in maintenance due to the quality of the sensors.
Here is a good adres in the Netherlands http://www.basystemen.nl/index.php/gas

And in America you can look at www.raesystems.com

regards,
Seppie

hi i think the best portable is pocket air check it a battery opereted , solid state instrument wich detect the gas leaks. this makes a easy finding gas leaks as using flashlight and ist chepest.

i found some website that u can learn more heres the link Gas Detection

Maan…
<table style=“width: 435px; height: 77px;” frame=“VOID” rules=“NONE” border=“0” cellspacing=“0” cols=“1”> <colgroup><col width=“433”></colgroup> <tbody> <tr> <td align=“LEFT” height=“77” width=“433”>
</td> </tr> </tbody> </table>

hello…
I am using the PPBRAE 300 portable gas detector and it is working fine for me.The ppbRAE 3000 is the most advanced handheld volatile organic compound (VOC) on the market. Its Photoionization Detector’s (PID) extended range of 1 ppb to 10,000 ppm makes it an ideal instrument for applications from HazMat/Homeland Security, industrial hygiene, to Indoor Air Quality and military applications.